mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Too Good to be True ???

I'm moving to Colorado and think I'll need to upgrade to a full suspension ride. As budget is a main factor I don't want to spend more than 1,500. I've checked out Ibex and found some nice bikes but also found this company

http://www.cinderbicycles.com/

They are selling 2007 Specialized Epic's for 1000 - 1,800. They were selling on ebay without pictures and all their listings are now gone from ebay. I sent an email asking for a picture of the bike and they directed me to this site. Does anyone know of this store ? It sounds a little shady since they won't take a credit card but they will handle the transaction through ebay. Would any of you risk it ?

Uphill? What's that
    you might want to post this question in the Florida forum and see if you can find someone who has dealt with this company. The prices they are listing for a lot of their bikes do seam to good to be true.

mtbr member
    I would not risk it. Specialized does not allow their bikes to be sold online, and any store doing so probably isn't the real thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks. I've been doing some more digging and decided this is in fact a scam. I did a google search on cinder cycles and have found that they have used the same scam under different names and states. Victor bicycles and Jacks to name some. Here is a reply to a message I sent cinder yesterday which is an identical response to a question asked in 2004. Here are both :

Dear customer,

Thank you for your interest in our bike. THIS IS A STOCK LIMIT OFFER!!! We give this discount because we are liquidating our 2007 stock. We already have closed the auction to revise our stock.

The bike is in perfect condition, new (not used), no problems or scratches on it, as its come from the manufacture. It will come in original box with all the papers, manuals and manufacture warranty documents.

The buy it now price for the complete bike is $1,000. We offer free shipping if you buy now. We ship the bike fully assembled.

We have many sizes in this model available right now. Please take a look at our stock on www.cinderbicycles.com and order your bike on our website.

We look forward for your reply,

Jack Simmons,
    Sales Dep.,
    Cinder Bicycles Store,
    address: 11874 Heron Bay Blvd, Coral Springs, FL, 33076, USA

Hey there; has anyone else seen an ad from Victor's Cycling Store in Augusta, ME???? I responded to an add on Craigslist Seattle for an 07 Blur 4X; below is a copy of the email I got this morning; check out this websitse and tell me what you think; is this a scam or some sort of incredible super deal? FYI, I have a hard time believing anyone could sell bikes at this price. I wrote to Santa Cruz to see what they had to say, I'll post their reply when I hear back. check out this website: www.victorsbikes.com

Dear customer,

Thank you for your interest in our bikes. THIS IS A STOCK LIMIT OFFER!!! We give this discount because we are liquidating our stock.

We have all sizes and colors available on stock right now with this model.

The bikes are in perfect condition, new (not used), no problems or scratches on them, as its come from the manufacture. It will come in original box with all the papers, manuals and manufacture warranty documents.

The buy it now price for the complete bike is listed on our website. In this price all shipment costs are included. We ship the bike fully assembled.

We would like to make a safe transaction through eBay for our both protection. We are registered with their protection program department and they will handle the transaction. Your funds are 100% insured by
    eBay until you will receive and inspect the bike and we are sure that we receive your payment after you confirm and inspect the bike. You have 3 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it and to decide if you want to keep it or not. If you are not satisfied with it, you will send the bike to us (at our cost) and eBay will fully refund you.

For shipment we use UPS Air Service and if you buy it now, we will support all shipment costs. In maximum 5 days the bike will arrive at your door.

If you decide to buy it now, please email us imediately with the following details:

- COMPLETE BIKE MODEL (exactly as it writes on our website) :
    - BIKE's SIZE AND COLOR :
    - YOUR FULL NAME :
    - YOUR FULL ADDRESS
    :
    - YOUR PHONE NUMBER :
    - YOUR EBAY USER ID:

and we will contact eBay to start the transaction.

You can check our website at www.victorsbikes.com

We look forward for your reply,

George Cole,
    Sales Dep.,
    Victor's Cycling Store,
    address: 375 Western Ave., Augusta, ME, 04330, USA
    email: victorsbikes@yahoo.com

mtbr member
    Their idea of how ebay works made me chuckle..

"Our orders will go only through eBay for our both protection. We are registered with their protection program department and they will handle the transaction. Your funds are 100% insured by eBay until you will receive and inspect the bike and we are sure that we receive your payment after you confirm and inspect it. You have 3 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it and to decide if you want to keep it or not. If you are not satisfied with it, you will send the bike to us (at our cost) and eBay will fully refund you.

Everything is secure. eBay will not release the funds to us until you get and inspect the bike. In case that you will not receive it or you will not be satisfied with it, they will fully refund you and you will return the bike to us (at our costs).

After you place the order, we contact eBay to start the transaction and they will email you the invoice in maximum 30 minutes upon our confirmation."

hummm! should I?
    Dec 2005
    Very important!
    I live in Coral Springs Fl. There is no Cinder Bicycles in Coral Springs and there never has been. Also look on the dealer locator on the specialized website--- no Cinder Bicycles exists. I also looked in the phone book and there is no cinder bicycles listed in the yellow or white pages. Trek does not show them as a dealer either!

Lastly look at all the brands they carry. There is no dealer anywhere that carries that many brands.

It is a Scam!

Now with More Wood
    .....The buy it now price for the complete bike is $1,000. We offer free shipping if you buy now. We ship the bike fully assembled.
    Yeah, right, a FULLY ASSEMBLED bike with FREE SHIPPING....good one....UPS would charge approx 1000 USD on 3-day service from Florida to CA for a box that could hold a FULLY ASSEMBLED bike (i.e. not one with the fork/steerer dismantled, the wheels off the frame etc etc etc...it would have to be like 30x10x20 inches....).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorton Melon
    I'm moving to Colorado and think I'll need to upgrade to a full suspension ride. As budget is a main factor I don't want to spend more than 1,500. I've checked out Ibex and found some nice bikes but also found this company

http://www.cinderbicycles.com/

They are selling 2007 Specialized Epic's for 1000 - 1,800. They were selling on ebay without pictures and all their listings are now gone from ebay. I sent an email asking for a picture of the bike and they directed me to this site. Does anyone know of this store ? It sounds a little shady since they won't take a credit card but they will handle the transaction through ebay. Would any of you risk it ?
    Glad you learned it's a scam before they got your $$$. I remember seeing a site with a complete selection of models and sizes of specialized bikes last fall when shopping for my stumpy. Ended up buying on the real bike source in Colorado that is too good to be true: denver craigslist!

Seems like a bunch of people in the front range sell bikes in almost new condition for whatever reason, and mountain bikes do depreciate quickly. Patience will get you a great deal on a used bike. Be wary of stolen bikes, though, here are a few tips:
    - Get the phone number, email, and address of the seller and meet them at their house
    - Ask for original owner's manuals and receipts if available
    - Check to make sure serial number is not scrated off
    - A picture and accurate description of model/size/year in the craigslist ad is a good sign
    - If it's just way too good to be true, use you intuition as a judge of the seller's character

Good luck, and greetings from the front range. Riding was awesome yesterday with a record high of 74, today: snow and a high of 30 !

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    alas their web-site has been shut down. but these guys, unless put behind bars, will undoubetly pop up under another name using the same nice pictures of all those great bikes at unbelievable prices - and such a friendly staff pictured behind the counter!

I must admit I was pretty excited when I came accross this site, but here's what made me think it must be too good to be true.

1. The prices really were too good to be true
    2. they offered to ship (for free) new bikes that are not permitted to be shipped by the distribution agreements of the provider i.e. Giant and Specialized. They even said they would ship for free to other countries!!
    3. some cockamamie payment scheam where Visa doesn't work but you can pay through some ebay account??
    4. always offer to come pick it up in person (even if you can't) to call their bluff to having more than just a web-site.
    5. Did I mention those prices? damn they looked good - too good. don't let greed and stupidity get you ripped off. Support your local bike shop and ride on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There are several bogus online shops, and they are one of the known ones. You can't buy a bike with the S stamped on it online.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    there's another guy on e-bay claiming to have Specialized bikes (new) for sale at about 20% off list. They guy has a total of 6 sales to his name and doesn't spell very well. He too works out of Miami.

Any Spec. bike dealer willing to risk his distribution rights by selling through the mail has got to have you worried. I did find it interesting that he said he would take Visa. Maybe he's phising for Visa numbers?? If I use my Visa and nothing comes, I'm pretty sure I'm protected.