Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tires for Stumpy

1-Kenda Nevegal
    2-Conti Vertical pro
    3-Maxis Ignitor

Which of these tires would you guys buy for a 07 Stumpy comp that currently feels like figure skating of road with worn out stock tires. I will be riding on road, loose, sand and some peaty mud. I know how good the Nevegals are so I was wondering about the other 2.

Has Conti improved since they brought out the Explorer tire about 7 years ago which I had and it got so many punctures I ended up stabbing them to pieces with a kitchen knife.

Thanks EGF

mtbr member
    I run with a Nevegal on the back, with a Blue Groove on the front. That seems to work fine for me in the sand around the north downs. Although I am possibly looking at some Nobby Nics, as I use the Racing Ralphs in the summer and they just fly!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Iíve got that set up on my 08 Trance X2-see trance thread, they seem to work very well together so I may do it on my stumpy too but I still have 2 hours before I ring the dealer to order my new wheels. The Nobby Nic`s are too expensive for me though.

I see youíre in Guildford and Iím in Slinfold nr Horsham so we ride in the same area which helps.

mtbr member
    Top drawer... For a REALLY good day out we spend a few hours around Leith and Holmbury. The cakes at the top of Leith are awesome, unless I have baked up some myself. However, the last time we were over there, we had a major mechanical miles from our cars!!!!! Do you manage to get over that way at all??

mtbr member
    Started running the specilazed captain tires in 2.0 front and rear. There great for wet leaves and running water on trails.

The Other Dude
    I agree, the new Captain's are are killer tires, they hook up in wet conditions, and roll super fast, i will be running them on my 08 stumpy.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    I'm running a Resolution 2.3 front and a Captain rear (29er) and love the combo. Suprised at how good the Captain is. Fast rolling, good cornering grip, very predictable all-round handling. It's already a great tire, but if they made a larger casing option for the Captain it would be awesome!

I'd be sure to put the Captains on the short list!

mtbr member
    Not sure if they are available this side of the pond... They don't seem to be listed on the UK specialized website...

mtbr member
    Iím willing to have another look at the Spesh Captain tires but the last time I tried them was in about 2in of very fine dust, I tested them on an 08 Stumpy back to back with a hard tail Marin that had WTB Prowler tires. The spesh tires simply didnít hold a line and they drifted everywhere where as the WTB tires which I have also tested without the dust where perfect and would be my 1st choice but I cant get any round here.

Allot of people I know are saying the Maxxis Ignitor tires are perfect generally apart from tread life which isnít really a problem for me. I know allot of people use Conti Vertical on the South Downs which is very chalky. And I can see that my Nevegals slow very noticeably if they are on soft mud-not to be confused with wet kind of mud.

tonys102
    I do allot of riding on the north downs near Leith hill, Peaslake and Dorking, I have also done a few rides on the south downs mainly between Worthing and Lewes. Iím usually seen on Leith hill on Sat or Sun eating the delicious cakes around 10.30 half way into my ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    As far as tread pattern goes, the verticals and the ignitors are virtually identical.

mtbr member
    what about panaracer XC tires 127 tpi???
    No dudes, no temas, no te arrepientas.

mtbr member
    They are very similar tires but with the Conti Explorerís performance, which is also very similar I think Iíll be getting allot of punctures, my best was 1 punctures every 2 rides on them. There was a major performance increase when I put some WTB Velociraptors on my old Whyte PRST-1, no punctures anymore. Donít think I want the Conti tires + they are Conti which I donít like as much as the other 2 tires Iím choosing from.

Has no one got the Ignitors on here? I have looked on the tire and wheel forum and found a few people that like them.

mtbr member
    Only got £50 total and those are £55, when I tried them they were slow and ugly-personal opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm running the Ignitor in the front on my stumpy, the 2.3 ust version. Worked fine for me all during the dry summer. Doesn't slip out unless you want it to. Not notably fast. Just starting to rain here in Northern California, so I can't comment on its wet performance.

I'm about 190lbs. with gear, and have to run it at 35 psi to prevent rim dings. I ran it at 30 for a while and was getting rock on metal with moderate trail riding ( this is a front tire mind you).

Also, after about 6 months there are weird bulges appearing on the sidewall near the bead. I'm running Stans, which may have something to do with that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    tonys102
    I do allot of riding on the north downs near Leith hill, Peaslake and Dorking, I have also done a few rides on the south downs mainly between Worthing and Lewes. Iím usually seen on Leith hill on Sat or Sun eating the delicious cakes around 10.30 half way into my ride.
    May well catch you at some point... check out www.rancid-cat.co.uk...

mtbr member
    I went with Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 (2.2 if measured). I went for those because I havenít had them before-something new to try, also because they were about the right size-only slightly bigger than 2.10 and quite a few people recommended them. Cost me £24.50 each EX 10% of from dealer.

Iíll put them when I get my next puncture which should be any ride now.

mtbr member
    Be interested to know how you get on with those over the north downs!

mtbr member
    Apparently theyíre a bit faster and last allot longer than the Stick-E compound Nevegal and they last a lot longer than other Maxxis tires like High Roller which last for according to the dealer about 120 hrs riding which is pretty rubbish, even more shocking is Iím fairly sure heís telling the truth.

The people I asked seem to think they last about the same as normal compound Nevegals, they also thought the Ignitors were very surprising on the north Downs.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yep! The tires are fantastic, I’m running them at 40psi, I’m going to compare them to 2 other tires, the Specialized Resolution Pro 2.00 and the Kenda Nevegal 2.10.

With all 3 of these tires at 40psi the Neves are slower but you get better grip and they don’t vibrate as much as the Ignitors, the Resolutions are the Smoothest and the definatly have better tread life than the Neves which I can already see wear on after only a few rides. The Ignitors seem to have a fairly hard tread which makes for a good tread life but I haven’t had them long enough to see, they roll and accelerate very well and although I thought the Resolutions roll well and are quite fast these are definitely allot better, another good thing is that although they are 2.35 tires they have left about 10mm more tire clearance on the rear of my Stumpy than my supposedly smaller Resolution 2.00 tires, the traction is much better than the Resolutions which is one of the reasons I wanted new tires but the traction isn’t quite on the level of the Neves. One small complaint about the Ignitors is the ludicrous amount of vibration from the far apart tread, but that doesn’t really matter cos I ride fast enough to smooth this out. Both the Neves and the Ignitors have much better puncture resistance than the Resolution pros.

I would be happy to recommend the Ignitors as they are perfect for me. I have tested them on all surfaces such as clay mud, sand, peaty mud, sandstone, chalk and a little road riding. In all conditions except bone dry.

Hope this makes sense + here are the tires when new on my bike.

[/SIZE]
    Last edited by EGF168; 12-31-2007 at 05:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Have you managed to get out in South Downs clay/mud recently. Would be interested to know what these are like, as my Nev's let me down badly at the weekend round Cheesefoot Head...

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Where’s Cheesefoot head?

Anyway, no these tires are not particularly grippy in clay mud but are much better in other mud’s, but I think they make up for the lack of mud grip with much less mud actually sticking to the tires, I use to have to dig the rear wheel away from the frame with my old Resolutions which may be caused because they were such a big balloon tire.

Obviously I’m not using mine for purpose as both the Nevs and Ignitors are not really for mud.

I would say they are allot more grippy on the south Downs way chalk than other tires I have tried up there.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Just outside Winchester on the South Downs Way!! I was really struggling for grip with mine, although I think that may be because they are over a year old...

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Never been there, I usually do west of Worthing to about Lewis but rarely in one go. I have never lost grip with my Nevs or the Blue Groove at the front but when I goes over not dry mud but kind of soft you can really feel the bike slowing.

If I had the money I would get some winter tires and some summer tires, perhaps even a second wheel set to whip on and of for different conditions, but I have gone a little over budget with 2 new bikes this year.

How much tread do you heve left?

[/SIZE]
    Last edited by EGF168; 12-31-2007 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    The back is pretty worn down on the centre, the front seems ok, but they just got clogged really quickly, that it was like riding a couple of slicks!!!!

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I havenít ever looked for a mud tire but the 2.35 Ignitors have quite a far apart tread patter that stops it from clogging up as much as other tires like my Resolutions I mentioned earlier, also the Ignitors have a very low profile for a 2.35 which gives extra clearance. The Resolutions ended up like slicks in the end, I think it was the day when I ended up in a stream that tipped me of I needed a new tire.

I usually try to keep away from heavy clay in winter, the north downs with the soft non sticky mud is really good.

Nevs seem to wear down quite fast, at least they arenít as bad as Maxxis High rollers.

Which compound are you running? because one of the compounds is designed to stick to the ground for grip and the other is just standard longer life tread so it may explain why you clogged up so bad if you was using the Stick-E compound and not the standard DTC
    [/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast