mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Tire size Enduro SL

I have problem with my 07 Enduro SL Expert when I try to use Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 tires. It's the rear wheel that's the problem. It's enough clearance to the front deraillur.
    I've tried to shim out the buttombracket with 2mm extra (2mm original), but it isn't enough.

What are other Enduro owners exprience?

I think it's really bad that I can't use my favorite tyre on the Enduro.
    It's long travel bike that really shouldn't have problem with 2.4 tyres.

Is it anything I can do to solve this problem?

I'm considering selling the bike if I can't resolve this.

cranktankerous Mainer
    Take out the buttombracket and install a bottom bracketÖ Sorry to jest, I see youíre from Norway, spelling is pretty good though. I would really like to visit there someday, the place looks fantastic.

Really, I donít know what the problem is; I have fit 2.5 Conti Diesels and 2.4 Maxxis advantages in the rear with no rubbing issues on my SL. Is the chain close too rubbing too? Did you try adjusting the set screw on the front derailleur? Is the rear wheel centered, built properly and true? Did your front derailleur take a hit and get bent inwards? Those Continental 2.5ís I had on the bike were FAT and they didnít rub anything, I made no adjustments. Maybe those Big Betties are actually bigger than 2.4? not familiar with them.

Anyway donít sell the bike, sell the tires. I am really liking those 2.4 Maxxis advantage tires I have on there now. I image it can be damp in Norway like here in Maine, so far the tires are holding up very well and work great here in the wet woods. They are sticky & grippy on wet rocks and roots, knobs are aggressive and have great traction, yet still roll good and feel fast and the tire itself is not heavy, seems like a true 2.4, big, but not overkill. Try them, you like them on the SL.

mtbr member
    same problem with Nevegal 2.5

low chainring causes derailleur to rub on the tire

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    take your bike to LBS and they will fix your problem. I had the same problem and I fixed it with adjusting derailleur low position.

Now with More Wood
    Yeah, its a tight fit. I currently run a High Roller 2.35 in the rear, and I have barely a couple of mm to spare to the FD (when its in the granny ring). You should be able to adjust the position of the FD outwards (since you shimmed out the BB and thus the chainline already). Let me know how you get on, as I am planning to stick a 2.5 Minion on the rear wheel as well of these days.

BTW Big Betties are HUGE as I understand it...I was going to try them at one point but ended up with Maxxis Minion/HR instead...I don't regret it for one second as this setup is great for me (climbs yes but I favor the DH).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hbakken

I'm considering selling the bike if I can't resolve this.

YOU MIGHT SELL YOUR SL BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STUFF A 2.4 TIRE IN THE FRAME?????

That Betty must be one hell of a tire...

100% italian mtbiker
    Oct 2007
    @Toddski: could you please post a picture of your SL with a 2.4 tyre? thanks!

cranktankerous Mainer
    Quote Originally Posted by mdsjack
    @Toddski: could you please post a picture of your SL with a 2.4 tyre? thanks!
    Sure thing, when I get home tonight Iíll take some of the front and rear tires. I was actually looking at spacing on front derailleur last night with the 2.4ís and in granny, more than ľ an inch of space in there? I could go bigger. I also noticed that behind the front derailleur there seems to be some black plastic spacers before it screws into the mount on the frame, maybe you can pull out the derailleur even more with a longer spacers to sync up with the shims your adding to the BB? I dunno, Iíll post some pics later.

Again those 2.5 Continental Diesels I had on the SL didnít rub either, but they did hit the derailleur on my Cdale Gemini when I would stand to pedal, there seemed to be some flexing going on. Those tires were fun on the SL, light, fast, super air volume, I think they would be pretty darn good in sandy desert terrain, dry hardpack, dry slickrock, but they were horrible on typical damp New England terrain, way too slippery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stylie
    YOU MIGHT SELL YOUR SL BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STUFF A 2.4 TIRE IN THE FRAME?????

That Betty must be one hell of a tire...
    It's a hell of a tire.....

I've hard to accept that a bike like Enduro SL can't handle this BigBetty tires.
    For my intended use, on very technical rocky singletrack and some "mild" freeride I want to have this big tire.
    I don't like to compromise on what tire I can use.
    I got the BigBetty to fit on my Giant NRS (a litle sub to the frame sometimes when it flexed to much, but no problem with the FD)

I've not tested any of the other tires mentioned in this thread, but soon a new Intense 2.35 tire will be availlible. I was told this could be a real good tires and give me the same/better riding qualities.

I've tested to shim out the crank with 1mm first, and with 2mm.
    With 1mm it wasn't enough. Yes I of course adjusted the FD with the Low screw.
    With 2mm I got problem with the shifting, probely because of the chainline.
    I can get the tire to spin without sub, but it's to close to the FD, so with some flex on the tire it will sub.

I really like the Enduro riding qualities. Downhill it's a monster

If I should replace it, I really don't know what bike to buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gorsic
    take your bike to LBS and they will fix your problem. I had the same problem and I fixed it with adjusting derailleur low position.

I've adjusted the FD low position.

What tire do you use?

cranktankerous Mainer

2.4 Maxxis Advantage

Front d on granny, 34 in the back.

I didn't mess with anything or adjust set screw, stock XT cranks and BB with the 2mm? spacer on the drive side.
    Last edited by Toddski; 03-08-2008 at 10:55 AM.

trail demon
    Jun 2005
    Toddski - Does that SL fork have some kind of channel cut into the underside of the fork brace? Did it come like that.

cranktankerous Mainer
    yeah, man those stock 2.3 look skinny.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, the stock 2.3 IS skinny....
    That's why I want "real" tires on the bike.