Let's Ride!

Tire Size? 2009 SJ Elite

I've searched around and didn't see much, but can the Stump Jumper go to 2.35 for Tire width?? It comes with 2.0 in the rear and 2.1 in the front.......I won an ebay auction and the wheels came with 2.35.....just wondering while I wait for them to ship if I'll have any clearance problems??

doug

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Good job!

2.35" most likely fit.

I'm running the captain 2.2" in the rear. They're as wide as the Kenda Blue Groove 2.35" I run up front. I have the same bike.
    Last edited by mobilenemo; 07-03-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added bike

Let's Ride!
    So now I'm curious, do you like the wider tires? I'm a big guy and didn't want more broken spokes so I have mavic 321's with Hope hubs on the way.......looking forward to givin the bike just a little more punishment :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer:
    Only reason I went with the 2.2 in the rear is because I pinch flatted the stock 2.0. I wanted to experiment with a wider front tire and decided to move the front 2.2 to the rear and try a wider front tire (which ended up being the same width).

On the stock 420sl wheels with the 2.0 and 2.2 aired up to the same 38-40psi (tubed), I didn't notice a big difference in drag or climbing traction. There was a bit more corning traction and the bike rolled up the sides and out of ruts better.

I now have the same tires setup tubeless and on sun ringle charger pro wheelset. Rear captain 2.2" @ 32psi = more cushy and more drag. For me, that is the sweet spot between small bump compliance / drag / climbing traction / cornering traction