Thread: Tire Selection

mtbr member

Tire Selection

I am looking to buy new tires for my stumpjumper HT 29. i will probably buy the captains. should i go 2.2 or 2.0 or 2-front 0-back. and which type should i go. i think the armadillo elites will be good, or should i go s-works or control. my friends go 2.2 s-works on the front and 2.0 control on the back. and another i know run 2.2 elites, and the other runs 2.0 elites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Skip the Armadillo unless you're dealing with a lot of sharp rocks on your trails. I would suggest the Control over the S-works. The Control is cheaper and will last longer, and the weight penalty is relatively insignificant.

Go 2.2 on the front for the added traction. On the back, the width isn't as essential, but the added volume of the 2.2 will be a little more comfortable than the 2.0, considering you're riding a hardtail. Decide whether the slight improvement in acceleration with the lighter 2.0 is worth the sacrifice in shock absorption offered by the higher volume 2.2. I run Fast Trak Control 2.2 front and rear on my rigid SS for this reason.

Depending on your trail conditions, it's worth considering a faster rolling tire like the Fast Trak in the rear, or even in the front, too. I won't make that recommendation without knowing what kind of trails you ride, though.

mtbr member
    well, many people i know run the captains, and we all ride the same areas, so im guessing they will be good tires. im thinking 2.2 front and 2.0 back, and both elites, the guy at the bike shop reccomended them because we both big riders, him being a bit over 200, and me being 240. ima go w/ that setup, or both 2.2. thanks for the help