mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Tire help for stumpy??

My fourth ride out and I blew the sidewall out on the specialized resolution tires. I did hit a stick and that helped but these tires just seem like they would not hold up for an entire season. They did handle and stick very well though.

I need a little help finding out what else would work well in the northeast. I do mostly xc stuff with little drops.

thanks

mtbr member
    I run a Kenda Nevegal rear with a Kenda Blue Groove front. Very dependable and great for here in the UK.
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I took the resolutions off after three rides. I don't like the large center know. Loved the Roll-X but that thing should be called the Roll-Slow. It hooked up nice but wore fast. I have just started using Continental Bulldogs 2.3 front and rear. I got the ones with the gray sides. They have been fantastic and they are lite as well.

Jumps Stumps
    I just transfered to Nevegals 2.1front(sticky) and back(dts) with Stan's notube from resolutions. The 2.1's are enough rubber for assaulting technical trails.
    Loving it. Rolls really fast compared to the Resolutions.
    Last time out I ran 30lbs of pressure. Fast, corners great, good on roots and rocks.
    Without Stan's the rolling resistance goes up I would think.
    Be forewarned that sealing Nevegals takes patience.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    I just replaced the Resolutions with IRC Trailbears. Pricepoint has them for $20 a tire right now. Only one ride on them so far, but it was a burly, technical, rocky shuttle ride, and they performed great. Check 'em out. The only thing to remember is that they run small. I bought the 2.35, and it was about the same size as the Resolution 2.0. The 2.5's fit great though.

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Where do you ride? I had the same general sort of problem with Adrenalines (old name of the Resolution) when I ran the pressure too low. But as long as I'm 25-30 PSI its all good. I tried the Panaracer Resolution for a while and was thrilled to put a new set of Resolutions on recently. I'm in NJ plenty of rocks here. They are race tires though so you're going to need to change them every 2-3 months.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I'm on my resolution pro's and hammering them with no problems, rocky trail today with 2-3' drops, solid, PSI though at 28 back 25 front, Have tried UST nevagal/Blue groove, wrecked after the sidewall blew. Another riding mate with Tubed N/BG forever pinch flatting whatever PSI he tries. My reccomendation is Nobby Nic Front and Racing Ralph Rear, prepare to fly with those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ride in Massachusetts. A lot of roots, rocks and mud. I have really liked how sticky the resolutions have been compared to the tires I ran on my old bike (IRC mythos XC), the pressure I run is around 38-40 since I am a big guy (240LBS). I would really like something that rolls fast and can take a lot of rocky, rooty technical rides as it seems that is mostly what I do.

I noticed a lot of people have posted up the Kenda Nevegals. Has Kenda changed over the years? 4-5 years ago I ran some of their tires and they wore out in about 2 months (rode 2-3 times/week and no street)?

"Nevegals 2.1front(sticky) and back(dts) with Stan's notube from resolutions"...what does (dts) stand for? I will look into the IRC trailbears and see what is said about them.

mtbr member
    Spec Adrenaline/Resolution 2.0 front - 28psi
    Panaracer Cinder 2.25 rear - 32psi
    This has been a great combination. The Resolution is a great front tire and soaks up NC pine roots easily. The center tread line is great and I haven't noticed an issues with the RR.
    The Cinder is the uber grippy tire. It grabs everything. Rolls slower than the Resolution and has a shorter height profile. This is a great tire for drifting through corners.
    With the saved Resolution from the rear and another Cinder I purchased for $19, I will be running the combination for a little while.

mtbr member
    I loved the Panaracer Fire XC Pro when I used tube tires.

I am running tubeless right now, and have Specialized Resolution Tubeless tires with Stan's on my bike. These things are really strong, yet have weird grip issues, but that's a different story...

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

how big is the hole?

you can get a sidewall patch kit at any good mtb shop. At about $10, it's worth a try if you like the tires you got now. I've had two sidewall punctures that Stan's wouldn't seal. Two sidewall patche's and it's been end of story.

Personally, I love the Roll X pro's. I live in Central New York, and have had great success with them for over 6 seasons. I wore out alot of sets on my old Stumpy, and shod the 06 FSR with a set of the D2's. With Stan, they climb great, and roll fast.

Jumps Stumps
    skiierx,

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html
    and
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.html

I applied the strategy of using the DTS(Dual Tread Compound) in the back since it wears slower.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gjabo178
    skiierx,

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html
    and
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.html

I applied the strategy of using the DTS(Dual Tread Compound) in the back since it wears slower.
    Thanks! I knew it would be something easy to understand I just for the life of me could not think of the meaning of DTS

mtbr member
    i'm running a 2.1 nevegal dtc in the front with stans, and a 2.1 small block 8 ust dtc in the rear with stans. this set up rolls real fast! it surprisingly still grips really well in the rear on climbs, even out of the saddle. and the front hooks up really well, i havent really felt loss of traction that many times...

mtbr member

Tires on My Stumpy

I loved my stock Spec Adrenaline tires on my 2006 S Works Stumpy- fairly fast and grippy and look good - also ran the Roll X for a while wich I also liked-but I ended up with 4-5 small thorn flats last season. The flats were enevitably miles out on a trail. I dont ride in particularly thorny areas-- North Georgia trails. I swithched out to Maxxi Ignitors 2.35tubeless this year and have had no problems after many rides. Ignitor very grippy in varied terrain, but should have probably gone with slightly smaller size 2.25 for speed wish I could have kept Specialized tires - they just were not durable enough.