mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Tire Clearance on 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29 HT

I am looking to upgrade the stock tires on my 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er to the Maxxis Ardents. The plan is to put a 2.4 Ardent in the front and a 2.25 in the rear. The fork on this bike is the Rockshox Reba RL 29er; I measured the opening and there seems to be enough clearance, but the frame appears a little tighter in the rear. I was wondering if any one has any experience running the Ardents or similar sized tires on the 2012 Stumpjumper Comp frame.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just read somewhere that Maxxis tires tend to run a little thinner the posted width, so the 2.25 Ardent should hopefully have no problem fitting.

Just wondering, what are some of your current tire setups with the Stumpjumper?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the Ardent on the rear now with no issues on my Stumpjumper comp. I tried a Kenda Nevegal 2.4 on the rear for snow riding and with frame flex chewed two holes in the frame from tire rub!

Ardent, no problems

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonberens View Post
    I have the Ardent on the rear now with no issues on my Stumpjumper comp. I tried a Kenda Nevegal 2.4 on the rear for snow riding and with frame flex chewed two holes in the frame from tire rub!

Ardent, no problems
    Thanks I'm going to try out the Ardents then. Can't wait to have some more grip, since I'm currently on the stock Specialized Renegade tires which are made for hardpack conditions and racing.

What the biggest size you've used as a front tire on your stumpjumper?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Front Tire Clearance

I moved the Kenda Nevegal 2.4 from the rear to the front with no issues

Good Luck!

I eat cats
    Looking to put a wider and knobbier tire on the front of my 2013 Stumpy Comp HT 29er.. It slid out a bit on me the other day, one of those "oh chit" feeling turns. Was thinking of going with the SW Ground Control 2.3W in front. If I go 2.3 in front will my 2.0 rear be fine or should I go wider on both? I would like to keep my rear (Fast Trak Control) until it wears out and replace it with my current front (SW Fast Trak) once that happens. Not worried about weight, love my light bike but I'm 190# myself so not a weight weenie by any means.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Bring this back to life, as I too want to change out the tires on my stumpy, I'm not really a big fan of the stock tires. Sure they roll fast but they can also slide pretty good.

Anyone got recommendations for a good f/r tire setup?

I eat cats
    BigGK - I'm in the same boat. See my post from a few days ago.. Thinking of just changing the front out first since that's what has slid out on me. I'll post an update when I do but probably won't be until Thanksgiving weekend unless I get to it this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    2.2 captain armadillo front and rear in New England are a great set up. a spesh 2.2 is like a maxxis 2.3-2.4. they run big but the Captain is fast for what it is. I have no issues with grip except soaking wet roots at wompatuck.