The Yard Sale King.

Tire Choice for an SJ FSR

I am looking for the best all-around tire set-up for my SJ FSR Expert 120. I want something reasonably light with super reliable traction. Rolling resistance is a consideration, but I'm willing to compromise it somewhat to ensure traction.

Riding conditions: aggressive XC in NJ (rocky, rooty, lots of surface variation from sandy soil to slick, heavy, red clay mud).

In consideration:
    -Maxxis High Rollers
    -Kenda Nevegals
    -Hutchinson Bulldogs
    -sticking with the stock Resolution Pro (Adrenaline) tires. (I wasn't too impressed with these on my Rockhopper, but they were a lower level of the same line, so I'm not sure if I can expect more out of the "Pros")

If a separate front/rear is the best choice, I am willing to give it a try. Also, any help with sizing is appreciated. I was thinking along the lines of 2.1-2.35, but I will defer to the wisdom of the list.

I probably should have posted this in the "wheels & tires" forum

Thanks,
    tj.

Your Imaginary Friend
    This is a highly subjective question however, I've tried a bunch of different tire combos and seem to have found one that is a serious cut above the rest. I'm currently running a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 UST LUST in the rear and a Kenda Blue Groove 2.1 UST in the front.

The Blue Groove offers great traction, excellent tracking ability and a relatively low amount of rolling resistence for a knobby tire. The Stick-E compound grabs the trail and won't let go and I have yet to have a serious wash-out with the thing. There are only two things that aren't great about this tire: 1) it doesn't shed mud at all but, then again, no knobby tire ever really will and 2) the tire is so sticky that - on fast, fire road decents - the thing will grab small rocks and spit them up at you and your frame. They mostly hit the bottom side of the frame so it's really not that big of a deal.

The Crossmark is a stuningly good tire. I ran the Nevegal for quite some time and liked it quite a bit but it had two things I hated: 1) it was the worst wearing tire I'd ever ridden (I ride a lot but, still, it would only last an average of 5-6 weeks) and 2) it wouldn't always grab when going over technical stuff. After the Nevegal I went to the Maxxis Larsen TT and really liked it a lot - especially on technical climbs - but found the Crossmark to be just a tad bit better on the corners without giving up anything but the most miniscule amount of rolling resistence (both are exceptionally fast rollers).

The Crossmark provides some incredible braking bite, is solid on technical decents, climbs extremely well and corners almost as well as some of the knobbier tires I've run in the past. While it's also terrible when it comes to mud shedding, it's hard to think of anything else I don't like about it.

As for your other tire thoughts up there, I've heard good things about the High Rollers but I'd never run one in the rear. I like the Nevegals but prefer either the Larsen TT or the Crossmark and you couldn't pay me to ride a Hutchinson; those things have to be the flimsiest pieces of garbage ever to be mounted onto a bicycle rim.

One thing to keep in mind though if you do decide to go with my suggestion: Both the Blue Groove and the Crossmark are expensive but you certainly get what you pay for with these babies.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

mtbr member
    North Carolina here

I run the Adrenaline/Resolution in the front and a Cinder in the rear. I love this combination. Adrenaline/Resolution makes an excellent front tire with the center tread blocks while the Cinder has superior traction in every condition.