mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Thoughts on upgrading 2011 sj comp fsr frame to 2011 sworks Sj fsr frame??

I've got the opportunity to purchase a brand new with warranty sworks carbon version frame of my 2011 sj comp fsr. In Australia the retail price of the frame is more than just my existing bike but as its older than current design I found a shop selling it discounted from $3600 to $1800. I got my comp for half price originally brand new for $1950. So I see this as a nice way into a carbon framed bike for under 4k.

Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

I know one thing I can't swap over is my fork as the comp ran a straight steerer but the sworks model uses taper. So a new fork would also need to be purchased. Are there any other parts that WON'T just swap over?

I am pretty happy with my existing bike and have been slowly upgrading parts like carbon bars, new wheels and hubs, type 2 rear mech etc,its just this seemed too good a deal to pass up. I also like the idea that by buying new you can get a new frame under warranty should anything ever fail. But I suppose the alloy one could cark it eventually too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You should be able to get a headset that would allow you to run the same fork.

Sounds like its a good deal as long as you're sure you are getting the warranty.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    i went from an aluminum 2011 Stumpy to a 2013 carbon and it was a huge upgrade. The carbon rides so much nicer. It seems to dampen the vibration and just has a nice feel.

Like TwoTone said, just get the lower headset adapter that converts it from 1.5 to 1.125 and your set. it is a common part and should be cheap.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't aware of a headset adapter like that. This takes a lot of extra cost off the table at least for a while.

I should mention too that I'm waiting on the parts to convert my current stumpy to an evo. My local spec store has ordered the evo link and the plan was to take the bike in and they would remove the spacer from my revelation to change it from 140 to 150mm travel on the front to match the 150 of the evo link rear. I have heard of a few sworks bikes being converted but are there any reasons not to? I'm thinking of removing the brain to stick with the triad or maybe do like some have and go for an rp23.

mtbr member
    No special link is needed on the 2011. You just need the longer stroke rp23s shock from the Evo model. The longer stroke of the rp23s increases the travel to 145mm.

The 12/13 stumpjumpers are the ones that need a different link.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Really, well that's a bugger, I wonder why they said that's the part I need as I was pretty specific in saying its a '11 model.

Turns out my offer of $1700 was accepted for the frame. Wasn't really sure they would take it... Means I have to buy it now

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

So I picked up the Sworks stumpy frame and have been pondering the build. For now to keep my budget in check ill be transferring most components (some already upgraded) from my stumpy fsr comp. a few things will not swap straight in and i'd prefer to start from a good base point.

The BB is the main thing at this point to get my head around. My comp uses a gxp bb and the sworks runs a Oversize bb. I was previously going to go 1x on the old bike but hadn't got there yet. So I'm looking at maybe going 32t xx1 crankset as they seem pretty reasonable for a carbon crankset (roughly 250) and fit the bill for later upgrades to 11 speed with xo1 and maybe x91 coming soon. I currently have a type 2 X9 rear der and X0 shifter. I could also go a new 10spd cassette but probably wait for 11spd as its not in too bad a shape. What BB will I need or would be a good choice with decent performance and a mid level budget?

My current fork is a 140mm revelation rl about to be serviced and converted to 150mm for EVO conversion. It's a straight steerer and the sworks is taper. Without the expense of buying a new fork now (wait for good deal) ill be using the adapter as recommended above. Are there any forks though That i should keep an eye out for bargains on?

I ordered an evo link for the rear shock but have a bit of working out to do once that arrives to see if its needed, as mentioned before if I can find one a specialized fox rp23 gives the same travel as changing the link. Which would be a nice upgrade from the triad i have on the comp and the brain on the sworks which im not entirely in love with. There is a bit of difference of opinion on this but ill just have to see how it plays out.

Afaik that's pretty much it. My wheel set and cockpit should all pretty much be straight swap.

So any ideas on good alternates to what I have mentioned? I'm not stuck to any game plan at this point and no rush to build in next few months, just want to mull it over and do it right.

2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2584944 - original bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    To help save up for later, you can also get an adapter to run your old BB in the frame.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Managed to find a second hand but very low use 2013 revelation World Cup 150/120mm fork with tapered steerer modified with 2012 lowers running a 20mm Maxle that had been used on an 2012 enduro carbon while the guy was waiting for a set of new pikes. Picked them up for $400aud which is a bargain considering the $1400aud price tag here when new.
    Plus they came with the solo air setup spare hope 20mm hub and optional remote lockout setup.

Now I'm searching for a shock replacement along the lines of the rp23.

Been going back and forth with mr lynch on here about it. My latest thought which I have seen mentioned a few times is getting a replacement link machined up that allows a normal fox shock instead of the proprietary specialized version. Has anyone actually gone down this route or chased pricing to have tit done? Any concerns with this idea? Why the hell don't specialized make it themselves?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    To help save up for later, you can also get an adapter to run your old BB in the frame.
    Turns out this is not the case. The OSBB can only be run with a few very hard to find BB options. I ended up with a special SRam part that is basically a PFGXP BB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free