mtbr member

New question here. Thorts on this damage

After a good days ride last sunday I was returning to the car and the front wheel washed out.
    I was only doing about 5mph and was able to lay the bike down and easily step over the front wheel/bars safely.
    Unfortunately as the bike went down there was the sickening sound of "dink".
    Nothing obvious when I picked the bike up but it was covered in mud.

After a good clean I noticed the attached dent on the side of the top tube.

From experience do you think this will cause long term structural probs or should I just monitor it and put a big arrow marked battle scar ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thorts on this damage-13012011075.jpg  

Thorts on this damage-13012011076.jpg  

Thorts on this damage-13012011077.jpg  

Thorts on this damage-13012011078.jpg  

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I dont think it will be a big deal. Iv riden with dings similar with no problems.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Keep an eye on it but I think it will be fine. You could see if the crash replacement may be an option???

namagomi
    Given the location(right under a cross- supported area), it doesn't seem that bad. For sure it's a good dent though, but i wouldn't chuck the frame. If in doubt or sketched out don't ride it. Definitly check for fatigue cracking after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.
    As electrik says its under a supported area so hopefully shouldnt get to stressed.
    I'll monitor it over the next few months and take it in to local spci dealer for a 2nd opinion and see if crash replacement is an option for the longer term.
    If no fatigue in a few months time then I guess it will be filled and touched up.