mtbr member
    Jan 2006

thinking of upgrading my frame...

Right now I have an 03 hardrock with acera components. I found a P3 frame for cheap and was thinking of getting it and transferring most of my components over. The three things I will replace are the rear derailluer, front derailluer, and chain. I will be carrying over the rims, headset, seatpost, RST shock, Shimano SPDs, and the brakes. I know my components aren't the best, but as of current that is all I can afford. I was thinking of swapping over to the P3 because it is my size, frame wise. My current hardrock is 19" and I am only 5'7 with short legs. I am definetly not buying a new mountain bike because I am saving up for an Escante road bike. Would be worth it to drop the money on the frame? It is under $120.

I do light riding, trail rides more than anything. I don't do drops, etc.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Not really....

I'd put the $120 into replacing the derailleures and hand the P3 frame. The P3 is designed as a dirt jump/urban bike. For the riding that you do you're better off with the HR frame. It's plenty strong and quite durable, and the P3 frame being designed for DJ etc. is actually heavier than you HR frame. Stick with the HR and save your money for your road bike.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    I'd put the $120 into replacing the derailleures and hand the P3 frame. The P3 is designed as a dirt jump/urban bike. For the riding that you do you're better off with the HR frame. It's plenty strong and quite durable, and the P3 frame being designed for DJ etc. is actually heavier than you HR frame. Stick with the HR and save your money for your road bike.

Good Dirt
    Thanks man! Help out a lot. Would it be worth while to get the highest components or should I be find with XT's or even LX stuff? I have the front derailluer already (XTR).

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Myself personally, I wouldn't go much over XT....

on an HR frame. But that's up to you. Since you already have the XTR front then why not! Pick up an XTR rear and your derailleurs match. As I said, myself I find that XT components perform every bit as good as XTR for my purposes, and the cost a butt load less. But, there is a noticeable performance difference although it's not a large difference. If I was in your place here's what I would be looking at doing. Rear D: XTR, Front D: XT, Chain: SRAM. And I would think about replacing the cassette if it has been on there a while, SRAM. And if you still have the old shifters, maybe an upgrade to LX or XT shifters as well. The reason I say shifters is you really can't appreciate the performance difference with XT or XTR derailleurs with the stock Altus shifters that came on the bike. So if you can swing it an upgrade to LX minimum would help. But if it's not in the cards then just run with what you can afford.

The reason I say this is that my Wife has an 03 HR that came with the same components. The first thing that I did when we brought the bike home was replace the front and rear derailleurs with XT (I had em laying around), and the front fork, had an Old Zocch Z3 that wasn't doing anything. She loved the bike and still rides it to this day. But the point is that even she noticed the better performance. Which is saying allot, she doesn't normaly notice things like that.

Anyway, just do what you can afford. If you want the XTR in the rear great. If not XT will do you just fine. Even LX is a deffinate upgrade over your stock stuff. But with the derailleur upgrade try to up the shifters too. You'll notice considerably better performance with the whole package.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I believe you on shifters. My cousin has an 06 hardrock with the bottom of the line Sram shifters and performance, under warranty, replaced them with Sram X7 shifters and there was such a big difference. Thanks for the advice.