mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Is there much difference between Epic and Epic womens?

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to mtn biking, coming over from road biking!

Anywho...I have a question.

Is there much difference between an 2004 Epic and 2004 Epic Womens (in terms of frame only)? (I know the Epic women's has a slightly shorter top tube and stand over height, as well as a subtle difference in paint scheme).

Looking to get a used 2004 Epic frame, it's quite hard to find a used frame in size small....on the other hand...there's quite a bit of mediums available for epic women's. Could a shorter guy like me (5'5") ride the women's epic in medium, as the measurements are between the men's small and medium? (I could just get the slighty girly colour painted over...)

What are my options?

never ender
    Yeah, you could probably swing a women's medium. But why are you looking for a 2004 in particular? If you're going to buy a used bike, get something newer...buying a 6-year-old mountain bike with no warranty is asking for headaches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm on a slight budget right now, i'm also just getting into mtn biking in general. If the frame is in really good shape, i shouldn't have much trouble though rite?

I'm currently riding a trek 3900 hardtail...most likely going to transfer parts over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    any body else have a comment or anything?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    If it looks like you can make the geometry work, you don't mind the different paint and you can handle the ribbing you'll get from your buddies for riding a girls bike... Go for it!

Cheers!