ballbuster

Is there a better rear shock mount?

I have an '03 FSR-XC stumpy with a Fox Float rear shock.

I replaced the lower rear bushing and reducer last year in June (about 800 miles), and now it needs repalcing yet again. So I got to thinking....

You know how the reducers are spit in the middle of the shock? I wonder if a lot of this wear is because the split in the middle is creating a place to flex and accellerate wear.

I heard that there is a reducer for the Intense Tracer that has a solid piece that goes from one side to the other inside the dogbone with no split in the midde. Basically, like a long tube (throught the shock eye) with two rings on each side (to keep the shock centered in the dogbone).

Is there something like this out there for the Stumpy?

Is anybody else having really fast bushing wear like this? I'm installing it with no lube, as the shop told me to do (the bushing is pre-dry lubed). I guess it isn't that much of a PITA to change out the bushing, it just seems to wear pretty fast.

I ride with tools

No, Yes, and No?

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

Is anybody else having really fast bushing wear like this?
    I have not heard of any alternatives to the stock bushings. But if you're getting a year out of yours before you need to replace it, what's the big deal? Yeah, it's a bit of a pain in the @ss to find just the right sockets or whatever you use to push the old one out and the new one in, but it's a short job. I just order 2 or 3 at a time from Fox. But I got about 8 or 9 months on mine right now, and I'm starting to feel the play that develops, so I'll prolly swap mine out soon. It's no biggie, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I have an '03 FSR-XC stumpy with a Fox Float rear shock.

I replaced the lower rear bushing and reducer last year in June (about 800 miles), and now it needs repalcing yet again. So I got to thinking....

You know how the reducers are spit in the middle of the shock? I wonder if a lot of this wear is because the split in the middle is creating a place to flex and accellerate wear.

I heard that there is a reducer for the Intense Tracer that has a solid piece that goes from one side to the other inside the dogbone with no split in the midde. Basically, like a long tube (throught the shock eye) with two rings on each side (to keep the shock centered in the dogbone).

Is anybody else having really fast bushing wear like this? I'm installing it with no lube, as the shop told me to do (the bushing is pre-dry lubed). I guess it isn't that much of a PITA to change out the bushing, it just seems to wear pretty fast.
    Actually the reducer for the 2004 consists of two halves whereas the replacement kits contains a through reducer with two rings on both sides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004