Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    267

    Test rode '09 FSRxc Comp last night

    My LBS ordering in the new '09 FSRxc Comp for me to try about 10 days ago and I managed to make it over there for a test ride last night. Here's a link to the specs: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...Comp&Type=bike The price at the shop is $1650. We put it on the scale and the large came in at 32.1 pounds.


    Overall it was a nice bike, though I didn't like it quite a much as the Cannondale Rize 5 that I rode just after it. It's hard to pinpoint what I liked better about the Rize, it just felt more natural beneath. The C'dale is $150 more, and weighed in at 31.1 pounds. I'm also considering the Giant Trance X2 (if I can find one in a 20") and the Trek Fuel EX7. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Weekend Warrior
    Reputation: daleksic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,078
    I want that one in white....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27
    I had a 2007 FSRxc that I traded in for a 2008 Stumpy. Last weekend, bought my husband the 2007 Trek Fuel EX 6 and it had better shocks and rode much better than the FSRxc ever did.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    267
    Thanks for the input. The '09 is quite different from the '07. It's almost like a "baby stumpy." Same travel and geometry, but older frame technology and lower spec'd. The Trek I'm looking at is also an '07 on closeout, so a great price, though I have seen lower $ posted on this forum. The shop I was at last night can get an '08 FSRxc Pro from their other location, but I think getting up to that pricepoint there are better options.

    I did like the '09 xc, but just preferred the Rize.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    27
    I test rode the 08 today and it felt too mushy. I assume you can only do so much to stiffin the suspension. Im interested in trying the 09

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpower
    I test rode the 08 today and it felt too mushy. I assume you can only do so much to stiffin the suspension. Im interested in trying the 09
    It's all about "tuning," it, as you say, to your liking. I'm at 215lbs, and after "tuning" the rear (which is what I assume you are referring to) to my liking, it is butter. I have no "bob" what so ever. You will probably see the majority of posts referring you to a SJ, but make sure you are buying the bike that fits your needs. I ride singletrack mixed with technical and some 2-3' drops, so it suits me great. Climbs like a champ and descends as well as most. All in all, its a great XC bike. If your looking for something that's made for 4+ drops and hairy descents, then this probably isn't the bike for you. However, from experience, I would guess(based on your posts), your not sure what you actually "need," In which case you wouldn't be asking which bike you "needed."

    IMO, if you don't "need" it, then why buy a SJ for $1000(based on Comp to Comp comparison) more? Some may say you will "grow" into the SJ, but then again, maybe you don't need it. All I'm saying is keep it in perspective. Take a minute and think about your riding style. IF the XC doesn't suit you, then go for the SJ (as it is a superior bike, as it should be - based on cost).

    Bottom line~ spend what's in your budget and enjoy the hell out of it!
    Last edited by Coop29; 08-22-2008 at 11:58 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop29
    It's all about "tuning," it, as you say, to your liking. I'm at 215lbs, and after "tuning" the rear (which is what I assume you are referring to) to my liking, it is butter. I have no "bob" what so ever. You will probably see the majority of posts referring you to a SJ, but make sure you are buying the bike that fits your needs. I ride singletrack mixed with technical and some 2-3' drops, so it suits me great. Climbs like a champ and descends as well as most. All in all, its a great XC bike. If your looking for something that's made for 4+ drops and hairy descents, then this probably isn't the bike for you. However, from experience, I would guess(based on your posts), your not sure what you actually "need," In which case you wouldn't be asking which bike you "needed."

    IMO, if you don't "need" it, then why buy a SJ for $1000(based on Comp to Comp comparison) more? Some may say you will "grow" into the SJ, but then again, maybe you don't need it. All I'm saying is keep it in perspective. Take a minute and think about your riding style. IF the XC doesn't suit you, then go for the SJ (as it is a superior bike, as it should be - based on cost).

    Bottom line~ spend what's in your budget and enjoy the hell out of it!
    Good post. What made me lose faith in tuning the suspension was the fact that the guys at my LBS didnt have much confidence that it could be much more stiffend and pretty much didnt like the Fusion rear suspension overall.

    This all could well have been because of their inability to tune for all I know. Test riding a Giant Anthem 2 on the same visit and loving it probably didnt help.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    15

    Rear Suspension Proprietary

    One thing I did not like about my 2007 FSR XC was the proprietary suspension shock measurements. When I bought the bike I was not to crazy about the X-Fusion rear shock and figured I will upgrade that down the road. But I found out the eye to eye shock measurements where not common and I could not get a shock for it anywhere. Called Push and they said they could make one but it would be around 550 dollars. I tried to have my bike store order one through Spec. and could not get a Fox Triad through them either. I ended up selling my FSR XC for a Giant Trance which uses standard sizing shocks. The Trance's ride is a lot better. I would either look at a Stumpjumper that at least has a Fox Triad or a Giant.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikeguy73
    One thing I did not like about my 2007 FSR XC was the proprietary suspension shock measurements. When I bought the bike I was not to crazy about the X-Fusion rear shock and figured I will upgrade that down the road. But I found out the eye to eye shock measurements where not common and I could not get a shock for it anywhere. Called Push and they said they could make one but it would be around 550 dollars. I tried to have my bike store order one through Spec. and could not get a Fox Triad through them either. I ended up selling my FSR XC for a Giant Trance which uses standard sizing shocks. The Trance's ride is a lot better. I would either look at a Stumpjumper that at least has a Fox Triad or a Giant.

    Does anyone know if the 2009 fsr xc has the same issue with proprietary shock size ?

    Hoping it might not because of the new design frame.

    I was thinking of buying the 09 with the intention of upgrading the shock next year but if it can't be done will have to think again.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3
    First post...great forum with alot of great info! I am close to pullin' the trigger on either an 08 XC Pro or a 09 XC Expert. The cost difference is minimal due to the closeout pricing. I am really torn between the old frame style with the upgraded components or the newer SJ inspired frame with the lesser components. I am 200 lbs without gear and ride mostly fireroads and single track...no more big jumps for me! Can't afford to heal time anymore. Your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,746
    whats the difference in price between the 09 xc expert and the 09 stumpjumper comp?

  12. #12
    Back at it and LOVIN' it!
    Reputation: hncreature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    whats the difference in price between the 09 xc expert and the 09 stumpjumper comp?
    Prices are listed...

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/home.jsp
    Ride Hard - Ride Safe - Have Fun

    Go s#!t...I'm not a fish

  13. #13
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,405
    Cannondale has a s#^^y suspension system. Hey cannondale!!! Its 2008, not 1990!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,746
    i tried a cannondale rush 5 here for a day, i didnt find a problem with the single pivot suspension, worked just fine

  15. #15
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,405
    Probably a personal preference. Some like single pivot systems. Or it was the propedal setting. Its been conclusively found though that single pivot systems simply do not work as well as fsr and floating pivot points at absorbing impact and at the same time remaining active through braking and pedaling without bobbing. Yea. Its complicated.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Paollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    26
    Thanks for that info! im about to dispose my khs fs for '09 fsr

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3
    Can anyone comment on the difference between the 08 and 09 frame design? I am now leaning toward the 09 Expert over the 08 Pro.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    93
    The 09 follows the current Stumpjumper frame design and travel (120mm) vs the 08 at 100mm.

    The geometry of the '09 is a little more slack or laid back than the '08, and I think it has a lower bottom bracket.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3
    RS,
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the newbie question. I assume the lower BB translates to a lower center of gravity but what effect will the "laid back" geometry have on ride and handling?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    56
    The slacker head angle will make the bike more stable at higher speeds, but will sacrifice low end turning and handling. And the lower BB, like you said, will improve turning and handling overall.

  21. #21
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,405
    Never mind that, the 09 has 1 inch more travel (good thing for that kind of bike) and is stiffer. Wheight may have gone down by 1lb but not any more than that. Otherwise its the same bike (aside from the geometry), although just those differences are enough to justify the new one. I almost bought the 08 about 2 months ago, and mostly because it was a test bike orange (sick) I decided to leave it, but also because of the 09 fsr xc, and the giant trance, both of which I like alot more (and it was also a very heavy bike even with the nice components) so go for the 09.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by alpi
    Does anyone know if the 2009 fsr xc has the same issue with proprietary shock size ?

    Hoping it might not because of the new design frame.

    I was thinking of buying the 09 with the intention of upgrading the shock next year but if it can't be done will have to think again.
    Great Forum guys, I too am about to purchase my first FS and also looking @ 08 and 09 FSRxc Comp.

    Looking at the specs, the rear on the 07 was 7.0x1.6, the 09 comp is 7.5x1.75, so assume due to eye-eye measurement parts are now easier to find. I can't afford real expensive bike now, but do plan to upgrade to something with pro-pedal (Fox RP2 maybe) in future. Would the 09 Comp work with this shox?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,746
    fyrming if the 08 pro has a reba on it id go for that, the recon on my 07 comp was absolute trash, i cant even imagine how bad the tora is!!! i doubt if the new frame is any lighter than the old one, i picked up an 09 comp a few months back and it actually felt heavier than my old 07, i test rode the new 09s when they first came in, its an ok bike, it may look more like a stumpjumper but for me id save for a stumpjumper or maybe try other bikes, the giant trance i have never tried but its a cheaper bike and for many people a better bike too

  24. #24
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by hka9394
    I had a 2007 FSRxc that I traded in for a 2008 Stumpy. Last weekend, bought my husband the 2007 Trek Fuel EX 6 and it had better shocks and rode much better than the FSRxc ever did.
    This is probably because you were comparing a better specced Fuel. I have had extensive time on both those bikes - the 2007 FSRxc is FAR better in the handling department (with the Reba fork and the Triad shock), corners better, is much more stable and provides a better riding position. The previous generation Fuel from Trek was flexy in the rear end, and far too twitchy and over the bars in the geometry to be any fun when the speed picks up a bit. The Fuel may feel more comfortable for a less aggressive rider though.

  25. #25
    gatordog
    Reputation: gatordog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    fyrming if the 08 pro has a reba on it id go for that, the recon on my 07 comp was absolute trash, i cant even imagine how bad the tora is!!! i doubt if the new frame is any lighter than the old one, i picked up an 09 comp a few months back and it actually felt heavier than my old 07, i test rode the new 09s when they first came in, its an ok bike, it may look more like a stumpjumper but for me id save for a stumpjumper or maybe try other bikes, the giant trance i have never tried but its a cheaper bike and for many people a better bike too

    Hate to disagree but.... I have the new 09 comp and short of missing the "stump" verbiage on the frame the extra money for a better components is not worth it to me. This bike is essentially a stump circa 2007 with 120 travel

    The frame is lighter though so if you are a weight weenie then fine go for M5 versus M4, my wifes Safire Comp is super crazy light but was a thousand dollars more than my XC

    Buy what you can AFFORD and don't be afraid to upgrade components in my opinion
    Marriage is a great institution if you like being institutionalized. Personally I needed the supervision

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitch1171's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    519
    I test drove one also before i purchased an 07 enduro way to mushy!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171
    I test drove one also before i purchased an 07 enduro way to mushy!
    My FSRxc 09 was way to mushy as well when it was delivered - a result of it only having 80psi in the rear shock.

    Upping it to about 140psi sorted the feel of the rear completely.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    08 Fuel ex7 v. 09 FSRxc Expert

    What do you guys think? Almost same exact price, 08 on closeout. Have not road the FSR because they didn't have my frame size in. Like the look of the FSR better, but that doesn't really mean anything.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rockmaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15
    Great post you started here....it looks to be a now turned into debate post though. Coop29 said it best find what fits you and your budget (aka needs) and ride on. there is always better this and better that. take this for example with the fuel vs. fsr...which do you prefer Chevy or ford ? after you answer that question ask yourself WHY? now repeat the steps for your bike.

    You see folks its all a preference is what I'm saying i have had many bikes what keeps me with my brand and bike choice is simple, it fits ME. Opinions are like ass*oles everyone's got one. Your buying the bike ultimately yours is the most important one bro.

    ride on

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xmangox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    502
    I just went throught this exact struggle!!

    Sadly I can't afford the "$5,000+" super bikes like some on here can, so I was struggling with buying the $1650 09 FSRxc Comp or the 2008 on closeout. My local LBS hooked me up with the 08 FSRxc Comp for $1200!! I couldn't resist so I bought it. I wanted to keep the extra money for upgrades like forks, hubs, cranks, etc. later on. I already contacted Cane Creek they are making me a custom rear shock as we speak.

    I honestly could not tell the different between the 08 and 09 while doing my test rides, I'm sure a more experienced rider on a technical trail could tell, but I sure couldn't. I've put over 100 miles on my bike already in 5 days and I could not be happier with my purchase!!!!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    120
    I've been riding my 09 fsr comp for 3 months mostly on technical trails and rocky terrains aggressively and Im very satisfied. It climbs as good as my 08 rockhopper hardtail.

  32. #32
    Go SOLAR...
    Reputation: larlev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    I own a 2006 FSRxc comp and a 2002 stumpy HT. I paid under $1000 for my XC and it has proven to be a perfect bike if you are the recreational rider. Mine weighs 30lbs after some upgrades. I wouldn't race with it, but riding casually with friends it's really hard to beat.
    And search e-bay reguarly....you can get XT stuff for super cheap if you are patient.

    I bought a race face dues xc stem for $12 the other day..new. It doesn't take a fortune to upgrade and make it what you want.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz555
    My FSRxc 09 was way to mushy as well when it was delivered - a result of it only having 80psi in the rear shock.

    Upping it to about 140psi sorted the feel of the rear completely.
    For a FSRxc Comp's rear shock, is the psi suppose to be: your weight + 10 ?
    If not, what are folks using for an initial setting?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    51
    I would look for a '08 closeout Stumpy. I bought mine about a month ago, Found several Stumpy FSR Comps for $1600, I went with an Elite for $1799 08-09 very few changes

    I had to hunt down the closeout deal and drive 4 hours but i think it was worth getting a $3100 MSRP bike for $1799 my origional budget was $1500
    Last edited by sgtgeo; 04-05-2009 at 04:40 PM.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    about 3 weeks ago i picked that exact bike up in a large. It handles well and with proper tuning i take it on all the local single track smoothly. I know the trek has the new evo float suspension with two hinges for the shock which gives you a smoother. I looked at both myself but the price tag is what it came down to, and im happy with my new bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •