mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bonking ... not feelin' well Tektro Draco Squeaking Nightmare :( HELP!!

Hi Guys,

I just got my Rockhopper 2012, I have ran it up and down my street to bed the brakes in (I am not supposed to have it till christmas) The rear brake was giving off some noise. So I used some White Lightning degreaser on both discs t remove all the brake just and grime. The back brake now working perfectly and silently! The fornt hoever has lost almost all of its power! And it squeaks very badly! Never heard anything that loud before! I ahve rubbed the pads down with a abrasive cloth to take the top layer off and degreased and dryed the disc again! but still the squeaking exists!

PLEASE HELP!

Many Thanks,

Matt

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Don't use degreaser on the brakes. Use isopropyl alcohol, damp cloth, or compressed air to clean with. Try rubbing the front rotor with the abrasive cloth and rebed the brake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think the Dracos have semi-metallic pads so they will be a bit noisier than organic pads to start with. But if your back one is fine and the front not, then you have an issue with your pads and rotor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    On the can it said I can use it on brake rotors? I left the bike for about 2 hours went out and tried it again the noise had pretty much gone! after about a quarter of a mile it was back? Not sure what to do! would rinsing it off with water help? I am looking to change the pads anyway to sintered pads! Would you recommend that I do something to clean the rotors first or even change the rotors? Changing them is the last thing I want to do though as they are virtually new and I have completed just over 7 miles! And that was only up and down my street!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sintered pads are going to sound worse, IMO. Organics will be quieter but wear faster.

Perhaps get some specific disk rotor cleaner and try that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Will they? I want a pad that is going to last! I am quite heavy on the trails and I managed to go through a set of v-brake pads a day on my old bike whilst riding a trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've not used them myself, but it seems to be the general consensus. They also need heat to work which is why they are favoured by DHers.

Organics are quieter, more progressive but wear faster. Sintered are the opposite. Semi-metallics are somewhere in between.

Check our DiscoBrakes.Com :: Shop :: Disc Pads for a whole range of pads. They also do ceramic and kevlar pads which offer mixtures of characteristics.

mtbr member
    Remove the pads and soak them in IPA for a couple of hours, give them a light sanding and soak them again. While they're soaking, get a clean rag and clean the rotor with IPA as well. Once everything is dry, refit the pads and bed them in again.

Or you could try this stuff Brake Juice

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks alot guys! I was going to buy 4 pairs of pads after christmas anyway so I am sorted then for a few months or so! I will keep an eye on that site and probably get them from there! Many thanks again guys much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I hear the kevlar pads are pretty promising. Quiet like organics but hard-wearing like sintered.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I also have a similar problem with my Tektros on my Rockhopper. Haven't tried cleaning them yet, though. Mine make an erie, dying robot infant kind of noise. It's entertaining.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JrJabadu View Post
    I also have a similar problem with my Tektros on my Rockhopper. Haven't tried cleaning them yet, though. Mine make an erie, dying robot infant kind of noise. It's entertaining.
    Lmao. I think that would be a build up of brake dust you're hearing! Lmfao

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    I hear the kevlar pads are pretty promising. Quiet like organics but hard-wearing like sintered.
    That sounds good! Let me know if you find out anything else about these! I want to buy a set of 4 pairs but I dont want to buy the pads and then they are to noisy or performance is bad!

mtbr member
    I have them on my Hardrock , having the same issue with the rear , squeals like a pig , but only at times .
    Any other ideas on how to stop this ??????????