mtbr member
    Sep 2007

TALAS on a 2008 SJ?

well i was in my bike shop last week and the mechanic was building up on a SJ 08 frame, i noticed there was a TALAS fork on it, can you do that? i havent seen a fork on any of the 08 frames over 120 mm, would that void the warranty? i didnt say anything because my spanish is rubbish and his english isnt as good as he thinks it is, a good reason to go for an 07 would be for that fork, now that im thinking though i think i saw a pic of an 08 SJ with a pike on it around here somewhere, can anyone answer thease questions please?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    45 views and nobody knows if putting a Talas on an 08 SJ frame voids the warranty? come on guys

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    there are a lot of threads about sj fsr 08
    if i remember well somebody wrote somewhere that it is in the frame's user's manual: if you put a bigger fork in the frame which has travel more than 120mm your warranty will void

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for that, thats what i was thinking but i just wanted confirmation

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just had a quick look, and in the manual I found that you will probably die if you install a fork with more than 120mm.
    So I presume that also the warranty will be void.

mtbr member
    But you could run the TALAS as 120mm all the time!!!
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    you could run the TALAS at 120 all the time but what would be the point of replacing the stock fork if thats the case, anyway its not really a put off, i have my heart set on an 08 SJ elite early in the new year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    you could run the TALAS at 120 all the time but what would be the point of replacing the stock fork if thats the case
    And therein lies the question.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    its very up and down here, the climbs are steep and the downhills are steep, and its all rough nasty dry and rocky, the TALAS wouldve been nice to bring it down to 100 for climbing and raise it to 140 for the downhills, i can live with 120 though since i do it all anyway with my current XC

he who goes without food
    I see this and related topics alot. On a side note from personal experience I can verify that putting a talas 36 on an 08 enduro SL will NOT void the warranty per LBS and specialized themselves

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Of course it won't....

Quote Originally Posted by diskus
    I see this and related topics alot. On a side note from personal experience I can verify that putting a talas 36 on an 08 enduro SL will NOT void the warranty per LBS and specialized themselves
    the Enduro is a 150mm travel bike!!!! We're talking an 08 STUMPJUMPER, NOT an Enduro!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

he who goes without food
    Just making a relate side point as I had seen the exact question several times here I certainly wasnt implying it had anaything to do with a talas 32 on a stumpy

mtbr member
    I think that the reality is that with the specialized warranty going up 10% on existing travel, or something like that, then it looks like 130mm would be the max that they would countenance... Or at least that is what I have read here. I work on that principle since my stumpy is 130mm, and I run a 140mm Pike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonys102
    I think that the reality is that with the specialized warranty going up 10% on existing travel, or something like that, then it looks like 130mm would be the max that they would countenance... Or at least that is what I have read here. I work on that principle since my stumpy is 130mm, and I run a 140mm Pike.
    Search for my name with TALAS, and you should find a thread where I theorized about it (and another person proclaimed I was trying to "out engineer" Specialized, or something like that ). In any case, you can't exceed the stock travel by more than 10%, although I think using a TALAS could be one of those "exception" situations where if you "stay" at 130mm or less, then you should be OK. So, you get 132mm as the max travel allowed, and some TALAS units were at 130mm max so those older ones are good. In addition, one could have a TALAS reduced in travel from 100-120-140 by 10 or 20mm (I have read about this, but haven't tried it) and you would get more adjustments to work with since you get all 3.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    they have a second hand 07 SJ elite down in the rental but its pretty dirtied up at this stage, god knows what its been through or whose fat ass was on it so im going for a new 08 one, interesting options on the Talas Studant i will take all of it into consideration if i want to go for a replacement