Thread: SXT 9x3?

mtbr member

Idea! SXT 9x3?

I've read some threads with people discussing shock options for the SXT. I know they come with a 9x2.75 shock and i've read of people running an 8.75x2.75 shock .. has anyone tried running a 9x3 shock on an SXT? it seems to me that if the 8.75x2.75 works, then the 9x3 should work just fine... should also bump the travel up to about 7.3"

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It might work depending on how much travel the frame has left over when the 8.75x2.75 shock is installed. The suspension might already be extended as far as it can go and adding a longer stroke shock might force the frame to dip further into its compression in order to not bottom the shock. There also might be a problem in the reverse order. If the frame does not have enough travel built in to it either of the ways, you will be topping or bottoming out the shock both directions. You probably already know all this, but the only way to find out is to try it yourself.

The reason I suspect it to not work is because of the frameís similarity to the 05/06 Enduro. The sxt is pushing the limits of that particular design and it might not respond well to even more travel. The geometry might change enough to alter the sweet handling characteristics it has.

However, the travel can be extended on the Enduro from 8.5x2.5 to 8.75x2.75, so if the sxt was built differently enough from the Enduro then a jump from 8.75x2.75 to 9.0x3.0 might not be out of the question.

I know this probably didnít answer your question directly, but if you want to try it those are the things you have to look out for.
    Good Luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwpolo321
    It might work depending on how much travel the frame has left over when the 8.75x2.75 shock is installed. The suspension might already be extended as far as it can go and adding a longer stroke shock might force the frame to dip further into its compression in order to not bottom the shock. There also might be a problem in the reverse order. If the frame does not have enough travel built in to it either of the ways, you will be topping or bottoming out the shock both directions. You probably already know all this, but the only way to find out is to try it yourself.

Good Luck

you lost me here.. not sure what you mean by the frame "not having enough travel built in"? anyways, this is the way i see. Assuming that an 8.75x2.75 shock works (i have not tried this myself, but have only read of it in various threads):

- OE 9x2.75 has the exact same i2i as a 9x3 shock (9")
    and
    - 8.75x2.75 will have the same i2i as a 9x3 shock at full compression. (i2i at full comp = 6")

so if the the 8.75x2.75 works, so should the 9x3, in theory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    By built in travel I mean the amount of unrestricted (without any shock) travel the linkage will allow before it stops going up/down. Basically without the shock how far can you cycle the suspension each way.

The 9x3 will definitely fit into the frame no problem...
    But with two shocks of the same length, but different strokes, the longer stroke shock of the two might bottom out way before the frame reaches full travel causing damage.

I am not completely sure of this but I wouldn't want you to buy the shock and kill it or the frame on the first few rides.

I am looking to fit an 8.75x2.75 to replace an 8.5x2.25 on my Enduro and that is what I have found from this forum. It is not the same exact situation, but it is pretty similar.

Hopefully someone else has tried a 9x3 and will let you know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    just curious how one could run a 9x3 shock when no one makes a 9x3 shock...or atleast not that i'm aware of. Fox,Manitou,RS and Marz all make 3" stroke shock but only in the 9.5" i2i.....

mtbr member
    AVALANCHE