Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SX Trail I 07

662 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  WaRpAtH 
#1 ·
How well does the SXT 07 climb? Weight? I have to climb some distances to get into the knarly downhill areas.

#2 ·
It climbs pretty freakin awesome, here in PA, its up, down, up, down, all the time, and i love my SXT everywhere. We have mostly shorter (less than 100 yard) uphills, but they are pretty freakin steep most of the time, and it does great on them, although we do have a few 1/2-3/4mile climbs, and it does great on those also. On the rough stuff, i prefer the climbing of my SXT over my epic because it just rolls over stuff, no need to pick a line, just point uphill and pedal, its a great feeling.

#3 ·
I ride mine everywhere, and ditched my 5" trailbike in the process. A VPP like a Nomad will climb a little better out of the saddle, but aside from that I think its the best climbing big rig out there.
Typlical days for me only involve 6-800' of climbing, but bigger days push 1,500-2000', and then I'm beat for sure. After commiting to the SXT, I found the tough decision on equipment details come in the tires. the frame (with 36 Talas up front) begs for speed, and wants an extra pound of rubber to keep itself and me on the trail. That extra pound of rubber comes in the form of 2.5 Nevegals vs. 2.35 Neve's I used to run. Yeah, I feel that rotating pound for damn sure, but its either that or forego the pleasure of letting the bike roll the decents.

-kcavt

#4 ·
PS - I should have mentioned I built my light...about 35 lbs, and 34lbs if I'm riding my Time Atac's. The stock SXT I I think comes in at the 38-40 range, and some of that is in the wheels, and DH tires it comes with. I'm riding an I9 enduro wheelset that is about 1900 grams...so very light. Those tires I mentioned are singly ply folding bead at 970 grams. Unfortunately I think the stock SXT I might have a good 1-1.5 lbs per wheel over what I ride. If it were me I would swap those stock DH tires 1st thing. If you've got to have them, just eat some extra Wheaties...with some redbull maybe ;).
All said I still think its still a great bet for a climbing big rig.

#5 ·
SXT Climb

Thanks for the responses and tips on setup to reduce the wgt. It sounds like it would fit in fine with most of trails I ride. We have a lot of technical rocky single track climbs (1-1.5 mi) so I was concerned about wgt and pedal performance. But, the reward of openning it up downhill sounds like it would be worth it. Have a great summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.