Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: SWorks tires

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,532

    SWorks tires

    So the wife bought me a set of SWorks tires for me. Mount them up tubeless and find the front Purgatory has a pin hole in the sidewall out of the packaging.

    I normally can be pretty anal about stuff, so my question is, do I let it roll since it seems like the sealant is holding so far, or do I return it? It is a $60 tire.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,596
    If it's holding air with sealant don't get stressed

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    174
    Pin hole in sidewall, Ok...if just between the thread and the hole is in the rubber, but I found a tire like that also to be out of round side to side, had to take it back a few days later, also had a flat first time out, no longer use any Specialized tires, bad quality, better tirers out their.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    877
    I've been riding Specialized tires for years without issue. Good bang for their buck and with various compounds.
    MCH Co-Captain

  5. #5
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    Only 1 spot where sealant is weeping ? That doesn't seem right, they should be weeping much more than that.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    26
    S-works tires,they are very light and fast but that comes at the price of much thinner sidewalls, hence only use for racing and even then, depending on which tire you are using and length/condition of race course still might be better with going the the control (thicker sidewalls) version of the same tire; for training or just riding, no brainer, always get the control version of the same tire; if I were you I would take back the s-works and get a control version, unless you are going to be racing on that tire, otherwise depending on the type of riding you are doing, the s-works will not hold up for as long, my two cents from someone who has used spec. tires for a while now (fast track 2.0 in front & renegade 1.95 in back)

  7. #7
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    Yup, if they'll let you swap them for control versions it's worth the extra ounce or 2 per tire. Even then, they may not last that long if you live in an area with sharp rocks.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,532
    Thanks for the opinions, I've used Spec Sworks tires for a long time now, I'm just new to tubeless.

    I actually decided to run it past them and let them decide. It's holding air now, but I'd hate to go for the first ride and it become something more. Right now they can see it's never been ridden. This way I cover myself before my first ride on them tomorrow.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  9. #9
    gunslinger
    Reputation: selector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    516
    Pinhole? I'd return it and not even think twice.

    As for running Control vs S-Works, I only run S-Works and I beat the hell out of 'em. I cut a sidewall for the first time only a few weeks back, and that tire (rear) had a lot of miles on it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80
    You're right to be cautious and return it for another one if you plan to ride tubeless, which is all I ever ride now. While it's only a pinhole, not one of the S Works tires I ever bought leaked at all over the past 3 years when new. Any leak on the sidewall would be harder for the sealants to seal permanently.

    It really does depend on your terrain. I finally tossed in the towel and went to heavier tires with sidewall protection after going through 5 tires with sidewall nicks that the sealant couldn't seal. Had to throw tube in till tire wore out. Slow learner, eh?

    If you don't have a lot of rocks the S Works tires might last if you ride carefully. Of course that's what I always told myself until the final blow. A rock hidden in tall grass caught a side knob, flipped up and put the smallest, barely visible nick in the sidewall. Wouldn't stay sealed with Stan's. So the "I'll ride real careful" thing only goes so far.

    Even if a sidewall leak does seal, how are you going to trust it 100% on the fastest, gnarliest descents? That's the other reason I threw in the towel.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,596
    IMHO you are making a mountain out of a molehill

    kenda tires are legendary for having weepy sidewalls when using stans latex the simple solution was to place the wheel over an open box and let the sealant plug up and sidewall leaks.

    yes the S Works tires are light and made for "racing" more or less if you want better sidewall protection get the Control edition of the tire you make be giving up a few grams however the side wall protection is worth it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    IMHO you are making a mountain out of a molehill

    kenda tires are legendary for having weepy sidewalls when using stans latex the simple solution was to place the wheel over an open box and let the sealant plug up and sidewall leaks.

    yes the S Works tires are light and made for "racing" more or less if you want better sidewall protection get the Control edition of the tire you make be giving up a few grams however the side wall protection is worth it.
    Well maybe I shouldn't of said pin hole, this isn't weeping, when it's pumped up to 55 psi to seat the bead it's a very loud fast leak, not a slow weep
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    135
    Regarding S-Works tires, it's not just how rocky your area trails are, it's how sharp the rocks are. Where I live in western Washington, I use S-Works tires year-round and they are fantastic. If I ride in eastern Washington, S-Works tires are a no-go because the rocks are very sharp. I prefer S-Works tires because I feel like the ride is a little more supple due to the thinner sidewalls.

    As far as sidewall cuts, since a mountain bike tire is used with low pressure, you can actually patch a sidewall cut. I've only had one cut in an S-Works tire in many, many hours of use. I was able to ride home with the Stan's slowing the leak a little, and me stopping to pump the tire up a few times. I removed the goop, cleaned the tire with acetone, patched the tire and used it until it wore out. Bear in mind, it was a small cut, and I used the tire on the rear wheel.

    PS It's not well publicized, but Specialized has a no questions asked 90 day warranty on all tires. You use it, you don't like it, you return it and get your money back.
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

    www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

    2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,492
    My newest batch of Specy tires have some small "pinholes" in the sidewall that show sealant. If it is holding air, don't worry about it. The S-Works tires are supposed to have thinner sidewalls to save weight.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  15. #15
    gunslinger
    Reputation: selector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    516
    In the interest of full disclosure, I cut a sidewall yesterday! It was a PIA just cuz it happened, who really likes to flat, but it was funny considering only 24 hrs earlier and wrote what I did above.

    No matter, I'm still sticking w/ what works, and S-Works works.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by selector View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, I cut a sidewall yesterday! It was a PIA just cuz it happened, who really likes to flat, but it was funny considering only 24 hrs earlier and wrote what I did above.

    No matter, I'm still sticking w/ what works, and S-Works works.
    Sure enough, finally went on my first ride yesterday with the new tires and cut the side wall enough it wont seal.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    174
    Get them replaced, exchanged...then sell them on ebay, you will loose some cash, but you can take the money and invest in a better tire...Wish some one would of told me not to buy them, nice bike, bad tires...don't let them talk you into a different specialized tire...just a waste of time and money..you will learn the hard way like I did.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    113
    My 02, Tubeless? and your banking on sealant on a brand new tire? Not even a debate. No Sale, why take a chance a ride gets FUBAR? IMO it gets returned for something that wont get stressed from a ride or MANY, and become a genuine flat. Thats just me..... Why Wait for the enevitable tragedy.....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyH View Post
    My 02, Tubeless? and your banking on sealant on a brand new tire? Not even a debate. No Sale, why take a chance a ride gets FUBAR? IMO it gets returned for something that wont get stressed from a ride or MANY, and become a genuine flat. Thats just me..... Why Wait for the enevitable tragedy.....
    EDIT: Now that I think about it, our sport is expensive enuff as it is. Why settle for less than Perfect from our manufacturers we patronize????

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213
    Specialized has a satisfaction guarantee on tires (or at least they use to). Just take it back to the dealer. They should swap it out!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaldown View Post
    Get them replaced, exchanged...then sell them on ebay, you will loose some cash, but you can take the money and invest in a better tire...Wish some one would of told me not to buy them, nice bike, bad tires...don't let them talk you into a different specialized tire...just a waste of time and money..you will learn the hard way like I did.
    Damm good tires actually. The tread pattern is great. I'll just go back to the non SWorks ones.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,347
    S Works tires are iffy for tubeless use except in pretty tame conditions. Control versions are a much better bet. If you're not gunning for world cup podiums and/or a paycheck, I'd go that route and save yourself some frustration and walking.

    But regardless, you should never be trying to put 55 psi into an mtb tubeless tire!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    625
    Return them. Specialized tends to have a pretty liberal return policy on their tires...

    like kosmo said... get the control version. they are heavier but the casing is designed for improved cut resistance

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Return them. Specialized tends to have a pretty liberal return policy on their tires...

    like kosmo said... get the control version. they are heavier but the casing is designed for improved cut resistance
    Already called Specialized and even told him I hit a rock and torn the sidewall. He said it's covered under the 90 day satisfaction. As much as people bash Specialized, anyone know of another tire company that does that?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Already called Specialized and even told him I hit a rock and torn the sidewall. He said it's covered under the 90 day satisfaction. As much as people bash Specialized, anyone know of another tire company that does that?
    Specialized has always treated me great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •