Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Sworks Epics in Action

Last couple of big weekends for the fastest woman in the US on a Specialized S-works Epic...

Guest Pro at the Corba Fat Tire Festival...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmvOTZE1CzY

First part of the Day of Epic Proportions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4eNFhuwKhw

Hope you enjoy! Looking forward to the first ride on the 2011 bikes when they arrive!
    Last edited by whybotherme; 10-29-2010 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    AWESOME! Thanks buddy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Since Allison's 2010 model race bike went back to the sponsor (after a great year of racing!!!) she has taken back her old 2009 bike from me. Though it is nice to have a great backup (2009 Sworks HT) I will miss riding the Epic. Hope that everything works out and I wind up on a 2011 for next year!

mtbr member
    I guess it's not always a great thing that you and your spouse ride the same size bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    I guess it's not always a great thing that you and your spouse ride the same size bike!

Yeah it can be a drag at times!! It was pretty funny. We got to the trailhead and I realized two things...

1) I didn't have a shock pump and hadn't yet set up the shocks to her pressures. Luckily I was able to borrow one from another rider!

2) My HT was set up for CX racing (FastTrak SLK 1.9" tires, and a Dura Ace 12-25 cassette). The tires weren't a big problem, but the cassette made climbing a little lower cadence than usual as my lowest gear was a 28-25.

Though I am looking forward to next year! For the first time we will be on the same bike/model/year. The only difference between them will be a slight bar width difference (i run mine a bit wider) and a setback post on my bike. It will mean that she has a backup bike at travel races if needed!

In order to stick with the title of the thread, more pictures of the fastest woman in the US that rides a Specialized Epic...

Last edited by whybotherme; 11-03-2010 at 07:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Whoa! That's a big picture!

Good news she'll have a back up! We know that's more important than you having a race bike! J/K

I got word today my new race bike showed up at the shop! Can you say S-Works Epic 29er?

Couldn't get over there today, but will tomorrow. I'll start a thread with pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fixed the pic. Sorry about that.

Awesome news about the new bike!!! Congrats! I am hoping that things work out for our new bikes for 2011. **fingers crossed** I could really use some new bike stoke. My last new MTB was the '09 HT (not counting getting the '09 Epic earlier this year when Allison got her '10).

I am not in denial about being the "B Team" rider in the family. Her training/racing always takes priority. I am reminded of this when she stomps me handily in intervals like she did yesterday...

Just to keep on topic....

Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Second Part of the Day of Epic Proportions...

Not as pleased with this one as I was with the first, but still takes forever to finish them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mySA16nRgE4
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Love the vids posted above!
    Last edited by bellullabob; 11-15-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Great stuff Justin and Allison!

That is one seriously long day!

Any chance you've got a link to the garmin data for that epic? I need to come down that way and do some riding. Maybe I can haul the bike down the next time I visit my Mom in Encinitas.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Enduro ride from my Garmin...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54300329

And to stay on topic, the rock line from the Fontana National...

Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    Enduro ride from my Garmin...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54300329
    I enjoyed watching your Day of Epic proportions videos.

Have you got the ride with Power data as well? I'm sure I saw a Powertap in those videos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304

Have you got the ride with Power data as well? I'm sure I saw a Powertap in those videos.

Thanks. I don't have that data, my wife does though. Maybe she will chime in if she wants to share.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

You betcha

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    An oldie but a goodie!

Allison's first top ten, in her first race as a Pro MTB racer, at our home course... what a day for the history books!

Fontana National 2009

Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Couple of shots of my favorite rider from earlier this year at Ray's MTB Park courtesy of John Ker at MB Action, before she got her 2010 Sworks Epic.

http://mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?s...0DF&tier=3&p=6

http://mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?s...0DF&tier=3&p=5
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Joplin Trail. Such a great descent!

Doin' Work!

Sorry for the linkage only. Darn pictures don't want to cooperate with me today.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another video. This one has a non-Sworks bike in it. But only one. Unfortunately the brand new Sworks Epic 29er pilot was struggling a bit on the trails....

Video here...
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Another video. This one has a non-Sworks bike in it. But only one. Unfortunately the brand new Sworks Epic 29er pilot was struggling a bit on the trails....

Video here...
    The best bit is 11min36 seconds.

The main problem with this video is that you're just going too fast and no one can keep up. If you're going to have a camera on the bike then it's more interesting and less disorientating watching a forward view than a behind view of an empty trail.

Sending the slower riders down first and staying right behind them would work so that you can still see what's going on. Youtube videos tend to be too blurry to see much if the rider is a long distance from the camera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

The main problem with this video is that you're just going too fast and no one can keep up. If you're going to have a camera on the bike then it's more interesting and less disorientating watching a forward view than a behind view of an empty trail.

Sending the slower riders down first and staying right behind them would work so that you can still see what's going on. Youtube videos tend to be too blurry to see much if the rider is a long distance from the camera.
    At least he didn't get my other crash.

He switched the camera around for the next descent, but we were out of batteries so only got 3s clips of the rest of the ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

yeah. i was on my game descending and everyone one else was a bit off i think. the trail is fairly tough, and i didn't want to disrupt my enjoyment by riding behind the others. i left most of the fast blurry footage in there to show just how long and fast and fun this trail is... agree though that it is pretty boring/lame on review.

since it is a training ride i didn't want to stop and relocate the camera much and hold everyone up.

ideally i would have three HD gopro's (helmet, handlebars, and rear view) then we could get some much better stuff IMO not gonna spend that much though!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot
    At least he didn't get my other crash.
    i REALLY wish i got the near miss on that first right hander on STT. you had the front and rear locked up, rear end going left and right like crazy, then rolled it out off trail! pisses me off about those damn batteries!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    NEW BIKES RULE!!!!!!!!

2011 Sworks Epic 26" First Ride.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    In your blog it says, "For the race set-up the pedals will be a little lighter I think, with Roval Control carbon wheels..."

I thought the 2011 S-works epic comes with carbon wheels?

mtbr member
    Quarq are supposed to be releasing a Specialized S-Works MTB version of their Cinqo power meter in early 2011.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/30/...pp/#more-22622

That would get round not being able to use the Powertap hub on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Gtr that's the 29er 26er "just" get ally wheels guess that's why the 26 is so cheap...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yea, the picture on the website (spec) shows the Epic with the carbon wheels. But in the specs it's listed as just the Control SL. I really thought they were coming with the carbon wheels too. They should, especially considering the price increase yesterday!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookster
    Gtr that's the 29er 26er "just" get ally wheels guess that's why the 26 is so cheap...

the wheels that come on the '11 Sworks bikes have Alloy rims. they are also heavier than the wheels that came on the '09-'10 Sworks bikes.

i don't have any inside information, but my GUESS is that specialized is using the carbon wheels to justify the price difference between the 29er and 26er. i was under the impression that the 29er was going to be hard to get so we stayed on 26" wheels, but Rock N Road had two medium 29ers in stock last weekend.... such sweet bikes!!!!!!!!!

BTW... I have the carbon wheels for 26" sitting next to me right now. they are amazing.
    Last edited by whybotherme; 01-15-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    the wheels that come on the '11 Sworks bikes have Alloy rims. they are also heavier than the wheels that came on the '09-'10 Sworks bikes.
    I was told this by another source as well, in relation to the '11 S-works SJ FSR. He said it is roughly a 300 gram difference

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quarq are supposed to be releasing a Specialized S-Works MTB version of their Cinqo power meter in early 2011.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/30/...pp/#more-22622

That would get round not being able to use the Powertap hub on these bikes.
    Allison likes her Cyclops products. I am going to design/fab a custom axle for her Disc PT to work on the 142+. Honestly I would rather see the PT stay on the 2009 Epic and not ever migrate it to the 142+.

Try to be good.

mtbr member
    That sounds like it will be a lot of hassle to get right. It doesn't look as though it's as straightforward as converting a DT Swiss freehub because of the internal electronics and strain gauges in the Powertap hub.

Fitting a new Quarq crank spider to your existing Specialized S-Works chainset would be much easier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That sounds like it will be a lot of hassle to get right. It doesn't look as though it's as straightforward as converting a DT Swiss freehub because of the internal electronics and strain gauges in the Powertap hub.

Fitting a new Quarq crank spider to your existing Specialized S-Works chainset would be much easier.

true, though it also would drain the bank account!

Try to be good.

mtbr member
    There are some pictures of replacing the bearings in a Powertap Pro+ hub here which show the axle. The problem being the non drive side axle end cap design. This could be difficult to replicate if you were to use a 12mm thru axle.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...ng+replacement

http://s564.photobucket.com/albums/s...ap%20Bearings/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    New bike build!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yOVxT0UluKI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yOVxT0UluKI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    EXCELLENT. Very well done (the build AND the video). Were the iLinks hard or was that just for comedic effect?
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    Whybotherme, I'm overcome with jealousy.

I need to move somewhere warm so I can test an epic already, maybe i'll just buy an elite to test and if I like it, sell it, then buy the s-works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

WINTER SUCKS when your a mtn rider!

Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    Whybotherme, I'm overcome with jealousy.

I need to move somewhere warm so I can test an epic already, maybe i'll just buy an elite to test and if I like it, sell it, then buy the s-works.

DITTO what he said!

its minus 10 degrees Celius and we are about to get a another foot of snow!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by htfu_aaron
    EXCELLENT. Very well done (the build AND the video). Were the iLinks hard or was that just for comedic effect?

partially for comedic effect. they are an experiment. the cable routing where the RD housing exits the chain stay is less than ideal in stock form. i can easily see issues coming about due to the shape and angle. i am hoping the I-link helps out with this issue.

the initial assembly of them was a little tricky (due to length). i found that the easiest way to assemble them was to run a cable inside the outer links, then put the teflon liner onto the cable and slide that inside the outer links. leaving the cable inside during routing (especially when trying to do the internal routing in the chain stay) really helps hold everything together. once in the approximate correct location i removed the cable, then inserted the cable that was already in the shifters and adjusted.

due to the flexibility and movement of the I-links, i have had to zip tie them in place where they exit the chain stay near the RD. i think this will work okay.

i am unsure as to whether or not this arrangement will stay on the bike or not. i am sure that it will be noisier than the stock cables and Allison may not like it. In which case i will likely put it on my bike because for the money spent it WILL GET USED.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Funny stuff Justin! Love all the faces you draw on the white board!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Funny stuff Justin! Love all the faces you draw on the white board!
    glad you got a giggle out of it. so jealous of her wheelset....
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Forgive me, not an action pic... but I am so stoked on the new bike after 4 hrs on it!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH!

Still wish I could get the carbon wheels for myself!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member

S-W Epic in action in Finland and Estonia

Forgive me, I just noticed this topic was "fastest US woman on a..." - but, now there is 3 shots of old Finnish f..t (i.e. master competitor) - and should be somewhere else... Anyhow - both riding S-W Epics

----
    Hi!

There is a couple of shots from last summer: going uphill in Tallinn Sadam GP (UCI E2) Estonia, riding through muddy water in marathon race Finlandia, Lahti Finland and Finnish Championchips in Turku.

BR,
    Panu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sworks Epics in Action-normal_tallinn_gp_60.jpg  

Sworks Epics in Action-_mg_4715.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PanuV; 02-21-2011 at 03:46 AM.

mtbr member
    There are some nice pictures on Christoph Sauser's blog.

He posted a comparison between the 2011 S-Works Epic 29er and 26" 2011 S-Works Epic 26" also (21-01-2011).

Specialized Epic 29er vs 26er

"The big wheels made me go faster, both up and downhill!

The most recognizable performance point has been, how much more energy I saved towards the end of my runs, and as a result of this I was faster in both ways. I stayed focussed, sharp and had more energy left. At the beginning of the uphill run the 29er felt more like a big fish in the water. Never thought I am going to beat the 26er time, because the 26er felt so light and explosive. It took off like a race horse, but calmed down after mid way, and had to concentrate more.

After I have beaten the 26er uphill time with the big wheels I thought I am going make a even bigger time difference in the downhill. But I made two, three bigger mistakes at the beginning, plus the dh run is shorter, so when the real advantage of the big wheels came into play, I was already at the finish line.

In theory the big wheels have a different angle to tackle the obstacles and roll better over it, plus I definitely have the feeling that you ride „inside“ the bike due the big wheels. I think this are the key points which made me go faster on our rough testing track.

I have also tested both bikes on a super steep, long rocky uphill, with two walking sections. The 29er made me climb more of it, because I had better balance and grip and control.

I am totally convinced to race the Epic 29er for rocky, tough marathon races such as the Cape-Epic, or Roc d‘Azur.
    For Cross-Country races with all the sprinting and accelerating out off the saddle, I will choose my Epic 26er. Because it is a little bit stiffer and lighter.
    Cross Country is such a racing specific discipline where every gram counts, plus the tracks normally are not as rocky as the trail I was testing on. But for general public, the big wheels are absolutely the way to go. You will get a totally new riding experience, which is comfortable, fast and smooth.

(a great video of our testing day to follow soon!)

Facts and figures of our testing day:

26er in Uphill
    Time: 19.21
    Heart Rate Max: 168 Average: 162

29er in Uphill
    Time: 19.10
    Hear Rate: Max: 171 Average: 164

26er in Downhill
    time: 15.02
    Hear Rate: Max: 165 Average: 156

29er in Downhill
    Time: 14.50
    Heart Rate: Max: 167 Average: 157

Weight:
    26er 9.1kg / 29er 9.8kg (standard setups)

Tires:
    26er Renegade 1.9 / 29er Renegade 1.95

Tire pressure:
    front & rear 27psi

Shock Pressure:
    26er fork 50psi, shock 150psi / 29er fork 60psi bottom and 90psi top, shock 150psi

Track:
    5km singe trail, 220m elevation difference, rocky, rooty, sandy, smooth, tight and fast corners" Christoph Sauser

http://sauserwind.com/diary.asp

Pictured below: Christoph Sauser testing a 2011 S-Works Epic.

If you look at the picture where he's riding home afterwards though he's on a different bike - a Stumpjumper FSR. You can see the Powertap Joule head unit on the stem, and also the cable for a dropper seatpost. The normal rear drop outs of the Stumpjumper FSR have the advantage for training of allowing you to use a Powertap hub in order to get recorded data.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sworks Epics in Action-christoph_sauser_2011_epic.jpg  

Sworks Epics in Action-christoph_sauser_joule_headunit.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 02-22-2011 at 04:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for posting guys!!!

i started the thread mostly because i hate seeing all static pictures, and the pictures i have of Sworks Epics in action are of Allison.

i think i agree with Sauser's take. we only have funds for one bike each though so we stuck with 26".

her first ride on her 20.5lbs 2011 Sworks Epic.

and her blog post here....

mtbr member
    You are wellcome Let´s continue S-W Epics in action...

Regarding the Great Champ, Christoph Sauser, it was fantastic see him alive in Tallinn Sadam GP last summer! All the competitors was in same start line and Elite guys started first, Elite women after one minute and Masters minute after that. It was 5/6 lap when Susi passed me... and vanished to the horizon... What a speed...!!!

Here´s couple of shots from Tallinn: Susi´s bike. Note the cable routing...,
    Mr Sauser flying through the rocks... and me decending.

/Panu
    -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sworks Epics in Action-susi_tallinn.jpg  

Sworks Epics in Action-panu-decending.jpg  

Sworks Epics in Action-sausers-bike.jpg  

Last edited by PanuV; 02-23-2011 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The only time I have been on the same course as Sauser at the same time was a practice lap with my wife at Worlds. I don't know how much faster he is than me at race pace, but I am 100% sure he would probably go by so fast that I wouldn't know who it was!

Here is a pic of the wife at 2010 Worlds on her Sworks Epic...

Larger
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PanuV
    Here´s couple of shots from Tallinn: Susi´s bike. Note the cable routing...,
    That's interesting with what looks like internal cable routing for the rear derailleur cable. Was the rear brake hose internally routed too? The higher cable routing makes sense because it will be lighter (shorter cables) and should shift better too without that big loop underneath the bottom bracket.

I wonder if that cable routing will feature on retail bikes sometime? It would be a good selling point for 2012.

The Specialized team bikes have specially reinforced seat tubes and cable stops added so that they can use lighter front derailleurs with fewer mud clearance worries. There are some close up pictures of the team bikes front derailleur setup here:

(Post #308 onwards, make sure you're viewing the thread in linear mode)
    My New S-work Epic impressions

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    that is an interesting routing on Sussie's bike.

i doubt they would run production frames like that as the cable moves in the TT with every suspension movement. having the cable internal in the seat stay would be killer for reduced friction, i am sure there is a better solution than what they have for the front triangle though (maybe through the down tube). the 2011 routing inside the chain stay is less than optimal. the bends at the exit point/RD induce too much friction for the sensitive 10spd.

i think the next generation will likely incorporate electronic shifting and eliminate these issues.

his bike has all kinds of stuff you won't find in production. his XX rotors look way more lean in the center section than what is commercially available.

Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There are some nice pictures on Christoph Sauser's blog.

He posted a comparison between the 2011 S-Works Epic 29er and 26" 2011 S-Works Epic 26" also (21-01-2011).

Specialized Epic 29er vs 26er

"The big wheels made me go faster, both up and downhill!

The most recognizable performance point has been, how much more energy I saved towards the end of my runs, and as a result of this I was faster in both ways. I stayed focussed, sharp and had more energy left. At the beginning of the uphill run the 29er felt more like a big fish in the water. Never thought I am going to beat the 26er time, because the 26er felt so light and explosive. It took off like a race horse, but calmed down after mid way, and had to concentrate more.

After I have beaten the 26er uphill time with the big wheels I thought I am going make a even bigger time difference in the downhill. But I made two, three bigger mistakes at the beginning, plus the dh run is shorter, so when the real advantage of the big wheels came into play, I was already at the finish line.

In theory the big wheels have a different angle to tackle the obstacles and roll better over it, plus I definitely have the feeling that you ride „inside“ the bike due the big wheels. I think this are the key points which made me go faster on our rough testing track.

I have also tested both bikes on a super steep, long rocky uphill, with two walking sections. The 29er made me climb more of it, because I had better balance and grip and control.

I am totally convinced to race the Epic 29er for rocky, tough marathon races such as the Cape-Epic, or Roc d‘Azur.
    For Cross-Country races with all the sprinting and accelerating out off the saddle, I will choose my Epic 26er. Because it is a little bit stiffer and lighter.
    Cross Country is such a racing specific discipline where every gram counts, plus the tracks normally are not as rocky as the trail I was testing on. But for general public, the big wheels are absolutely the way to go. You will get a totally new riding experience, which is comfortable, fast and smooth.

(a great video of our testing day to follow soon!)

Facts and figures of our testing day:

26er in Uphill
    Time: 19.21
    Heart Rate Max: 168 Average: 162

29er in Uphill
    Time: 19.10
    Hear Rate: Max: 171 Average: 164

26er in Downhill
    time: 15.02
    Hear Rate: Max: 165 Average: 156

29er in Downhill
    Time: 14.50
    Heart Rate: Max: 167 Average: 157

Weight:
    26er 9.1kg / 29er 9.8kg (standard setups)

Tires:
    26er Renegade 1.9 / 29er Renegade 1.95

Tire pressure:
    front & rear 27psi

Shock Pressure:
    26er fork 50psi, shock 150psi / 29er fork 60psi bottom and 90psi top, shock 150psi

Track:
    5km singe trail, 220m elevation difference, rocky, rooty, sandy, smooth, tight and fast corners" Christoph Sauser

http://sauserwind.com/diary.asp

Pictured below: Christoph Sauser testing a 2011 S-Works Epic.

If you look at the picture where he's riding home afterwards though he's on a different bike - a Stumpjumper FSR. You can see the Powertap Joule head unit on the stem, and also the cable for a dropper seatpost. The normal rear drop outs of the Stumpjumper FSR have the advantage for training of allowing you to use a Powertap hub in order to get recorded data.

The guy on the Stumpjumper looks like Bobby Behan, the Specialized Marketing guy.

mtbr member
    That's interesting with what looks like internal cable routing for the rear derailleur cable. Was the rear brake hose internally routed too?
    If I remember right (felt like having had 10 rounds with Mike Tyson after competition... - see THE difference between Susi and me... He seems not even sweaty) there was internal cable routing for the rear derailleur cable only.

>Whybotherme: Nice pic from Worlds! How was the "rock garden" part? It seemed extreamly difficult. I.E. Jaroslav Kulhavy pic.

Yep, there was also a lot of "upgrade stuff" on Susi´s bike: AX Lightness, Carbon-Ti, Extralite, Syntace, ESI... Just waiting some of those parts coming to my new 2011 S-W Epic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sworks Epics in Action-susi-panu.jpg  

Sworks Epics in Action-uci-mtb-world-championships-2010-msa-123-jaroslav-kulhavy.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast