Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Sworks Epics in Action

Last couple of big weekends for the fastest woman in the US on a Specialized S-works Epic...

Guest Pro at the Corba Fat Tire Festival...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmvOTZE1CzY

First part of the Day of Epic Proportions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4eNFhuwKhw

Hope you enjoy! Looking forward to the first ride on the 2011 bikes when they arrive!
    Last edited by whybotherme; 10-29-2010 at 03:31 PM.

official eMpTyBRain
    AWESOME! Thanks buddy!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Since Allison's 2010 model race bike went back to the sponsor (after a great year of racing!!!) she has taken back her old 2009 bike from me. Though it is nice to have a great backup (2009 Sworks HT) I will miss riding the Epic. Hope that everything works out and I wind up on a 2011 for next year!

mtbr member
    I guess it's not always a great thing that you and your spouse ride the same size bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    I guess it's not always a great thing that you and your spouse ride the same size bike!

Yeah it can be a drag at times!! It was pretty funny. We got to the trailhead and I realized two things...

1) I didn't have a shock pump and hadn't yet set up the shocks to her pressures. Luckily I was able to borrow one from another rider!

2) My HT was set up for CX racing (FastTrak SLK 1.9" tires, and a Dura Ace 12-25 cassette). The tires weren't a big problem, but the cassette made climbing a little lower cadence than usual as my lowest gear was a 28-25.

Though I am looking forward to next year! For the first time we will be on the same bike/model/year. The only difference between them will be a slight bar width difference (i run mine a bit wider) and a setback post on my bike. It will mean that she has a backup bike at travel races if needed!

In order to stick with the title of the thread, more pictures of the fastest woman in the US that rides a Specialized Epic...

Last edited by whybotherme; 11-03-2010 at 08:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Whoa! That's a big picture!

Good news she'll have a back up! We know that's more important than you having a race bike! J/K

I got word today my new race bike showed up at the shop! Can you say S-Works Epic 29er?

Couldn't get over there today, but will tomorrow. I'll start a thread with pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fixed the pic. Sorry about that.

Awesome news about the new bike!!! Congrats! I am hoping that things work out for our new bikes for 2011. **fingers crossed** I could really use some new bike stoke. My last new MTB was the '09 HT (not counting getting the '09 Epic earlier this year when Allison got her '10).

I am not in denial about being the "B Team" rider in the family. Her training/racing always takes priority. I am reminded of this when she stomps me handily in intervals like she did yesterday...

Just to keep on topic....

My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Second Part of the Day of Epic Proportions...

Not as pleased with this one as I was with the first, but still takes forever to finish them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mySA16nRgE4
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Love the vids posted above!
    Last edited by bellullabob; 11-15-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Great stuff Justin and Allison!

That is one seriously long day!

Any chance you've got a link to the garmin data for that epic? I need to come down that way and do some riding. Maybe I can haul the bike down the next time I visit my Mom in Encinitas.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Enduro ride from my Garmin...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54300329

And to stay on topic, the rock line from the Fontana National...

My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    Enduro ride from my Garmin...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54300329
    I enjoyed watching your Day of Epic proportions videos.

Have you got the ride with Power data as well? I'm sure I saw a Powertap in those videos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304

Have you got the ride with Power data as well? I'm sure I saw a Powertap in those videos.

Thanks. I don't have that data, my wife does though. Maybe she will chime in if she wants to share.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

You betcha

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    An oldie but a goodie!

Allison's first top ten, in her first race as a Pro MTB racer, at our home course... what a day for the history books!

Fontana National 2009

My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Couple of shots of my favorite rider from earlier this year at Ray's MTB Park courtesy of John Ker at MB Action, before she got her 2010 Sworks Epic.

http://mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?s...0DF&tier=3&p=6

http://mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?s...0DF&tier=3&p=5
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Joplin Trail. Such a great descent!

Doin' Work!

Sorry for the linkage only. Darn pictures don't want to cooperate with me today.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another video. This one has a non-Sworks bike in it. But only one. Unfortunately the brand new Sworks Epic 29er pilot was struggling a bit on the trails....

Video here...
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    Another video. This one has a non-Sworks bike in it. But only one. Unfortunately the brand new Sworks Epic 29er pilot was struggling a bit on the trails....

Video here...
    The best bit is 11min36 seconds.

The main problem with this video is that you're just going too fast and no one can keep up. If you're going to have a camera on the bike then it's more interesting and less disorientating watching a forward view than a behind view of an empty trail.

Sending the slower riders down first and staying right behind them would work so that you can still see what's going on. Youtube videos tend to be too blurry to see much if the rider is a long distance from the camera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

The main problem with this video is that you're just going too fast and no one can keep up. If you're going to have a camera on the bike then it's more interesting and less disorientating watching a forward view than a behind view of an empty trail.

Sending the slower riders down first and staying right behind them would work so that you can still see what's going on. Youtube videos tend to be too blurry to see much if the rider is a long distance from the camera.
    At least he didn't get my other crash.

He switched the camera around for the next descent, but we were out of batteries so only got 3s clips of the rest of the ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

yeah. i was on my game descending and everyone one else was a bit off i think. the trail is fairly tough, and i didn't want to disrupt my enjoyment by riding behind the others. i left most of the fast blurry footage in there to show just how long and fast and fun this trail is... agree though that it is pretty boring/lame on review.

since it is a training ride i didn't want to stop and relocate the camera much and hold everyone up.

ideally i would have three HD gopro's (helmet, handlebars, and rear view) then we could get some much better stuff IMO not gonna spend that much though!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot
    At least he didn't get my other crash.
    i REALLY wish i got the near miss on that first right hander on STT. you had the front and rear locked up, rear end going left and right like crazy, then rolled it out off trail! pisses me off about those damn batteries!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    NEW BIKES RULE!!!!!!!!

2011 Sworks Epic 26" First Ride.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    In your blog it says, "For the race set-up the pedals will be a little lighter I think, with Roval Control carbon wheels..."

I thought the 2011 S-works epic comes with carbon wheels?

mtbr member
    Quarq are supposed to be releasing a Specialized S-Works MTB version of their Cinqo power meter in early 2011.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/30/...pp/#more-22622

That would get round not being able to use the Powertap hub on these bikes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast