mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Sworks Epic bottom bracket

My 2009 Carbon Epic has started making bottom bracket noise. Probably just coming loose but the crank arms are completely different than on my previous bikes and I'm reluctant to just start taking things apart. Especialy since with carbon, I would want to have torque specs to put it all back together. Anyone got any experience and/or guidance with this issue?

Thanks,

Kent

mtbr member
    Take it to the shop. You'll need special tools to get the cranks off and the bearings out as they are press in bearings.

mtbr member
    Best case it's just the bb creaking and needs to be greased and re-tightened
    Worst case its the metal that's bonded to the carbon separating

mtbr member
    Here's a thought too: Having worked in a bike shop 99% of the time when someone thought their BB was creaking it was something else. Usually the seatpost against the frame. Lube every part of the bike that moves, then if that doesn't solve it you can begin dissecting your BB.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Here's a thought too: Having worked in a bike shop 99% of the time when someone thought their BB was creaking it was something else. Usually the seatpost against the frame. Lube every part of the bike that moves, then if that doesn't solve it you can begin dissecting your BB.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.
    +1

Check the hubs of the wheels too. My S-Works Tarmac road bike was creaking and I put a drop of lube in each of the spoke holes in the hub and it went away.

Seat post is another good one but you can eliminate that easy enough by alternately sitting and standing and listening for the creak.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    also,peddle w/ 1 foot clipped in then switch to other peddle only clipped in. if it makes noise w/ one but not the other, it could be you (crank brothers) peddle.
    seat post? stand and ride then sit and ride. did it go away when standing.
    note, my left non drive b.b. gets nasty(same bike).could be one or both of bb bearings.i think its easier for water to enter the non side when washing bike.i get slight water in the bb tube and its a closed tube.not dripping down from seat post,it cant.
    note, i have09 carbon marathon,not sworks.u i assume have carbon swork cranks w/ osbb bearings. i cant say if the non drive has the same issue as mine w/ xt or xtr cranks then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Latest Status

Still haven't solved the problem but since people are kind of enough to post with helpful suggestions I thought I should update. I took it to a shop and they rebuilt one of the eggbeater pedals and repacked the bb bearings. Noise was reduced but still there. Still had play in the other pedal so I put on a set of old platform pedals and the noise was still there - therefore not in the pedals. Don't think it's the seatpost either since it is all carbon and it makes the noise in sync with pedal strokes regardless of sitting or standing. I haven't taken it to a Specialized dealer yet since I have had some issues with two of them here in Salt Lake City. I think the next step is to try one of the two other dealers and see if they can figure it out. My best bet now is just bad bearings. Thanks to all.

Kent

mtbr member
    longshot here,sometimes 1 speck of sand in suspension pivot will make a similar noise,maybe a bad chain link aswell.not recommended ,but what i had done is spray w/ water hose on linkage areas while trying to make the noise s appear.or could still be 1 bearing in b.b.? maybe w/ a grain of sand,etc.
    oh,wait...do you have the spec. front fork or a sid up front.

mtbr member
    Try the derailleur hanger. I had the same creaking on my SJ and the shop went over the bike with a stethoscope and found a loose hanger. It's amazing how those aluminum frames amplify/transmit the sound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the specialized front fork. And the frame is carbon so I don't know about sound amplification/transmission. Probably less than for aluminum.

mtbr member
    i realize u have carbon frame and rear end, didnt know on fork. well that rules out rock shox noises.

mtbr member
    Bring it by the Bingham Cyclery in South Jordan. I'll get you taken care of.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by kente
    I have the specialized front fork. And the frame is carbon so I don't know about sound amplification/transmission. Probably less than for aluminum.
    CF is like a ghost!!

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Bring it by the Bingham Cyclery in South Jordan. I'll get you taken care of.
    At least I know who you are now! I'm the one that came for the SRAM chainring a couple weeks back for my 2010 S-Works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

BB Fixed

Thanks for all the help. I took it to Spin Cycle on Highland Dr. in SLC. They determined that it was just some dirt in the bracket. Cleaned it, charged me $19 and I'm in business. Nice and quiet now.

BTW, first time I've had work done there and I'm impressed. They fixed the problem, price was right, they were helpful and friendly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kente
    Thanks for all the help. I took it to Spin Cycle on Highland Dr. in SLC. They determined that it was just some dirt in the bracket. Cleaned it, charged me $19 and I'm in business. Nice and quiet now.

BTW, first time I've had work done there and I'm impressed. They fixed the problem, price was right, they were helpful and friendly.

Nothing better than having a local shop you can trust!