Thread: SWAT Technology

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

SWAT Technology

Is anyone here using this on there bikes right now? the idea is pretty cool but I don't see how I could stay hydrated for a long ride with only having a 1-2 water bottles hooked up to my bike. Plus if im using a Camelbak Mule I could store all that stuff in pack,plus have more than enough water. Am I missing something on the benefits of SWAT Technology? If you dont know what im talking about here is a link.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Workin for the weekend!
    Not meant for a 4 hr epic, more for racing sans Camelbak...
    Todd

mtbr member
    I recently used it for a 50 mile endurance race and found I could have used one more bottle. For normal rides, it provides all the water needed. I found it nice to have everything on/in the frame so that I didn't have the weight of water and tools on my back. I really like it.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: SWAT Technology

Attaching your stuffs to the frame instead of in your backpack probably helps lower the center of gravity. Am I correct?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_beginner View Post
    Attaching your stuffs to the frame instead of in your backpack probably helps lower the center of gravity. Am I correct?
    That is correct. It is cooler on warm/hot days.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Don't forget they also have the brackets that let you out a bottle under your seat. Works great for us with 2013 and older models.

Cool thing about the swat it you will never forget those tools if you always leave them on the bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Whats the biggest size bottle that will fit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    any regular 750ml(I think that is how much it holds) will fit. pretty much the same size bottle that all the racers use. you need to use a z cage with it. you can't lift the bottle up because the seat would be in the way but with the z cage you can just slide it out the side.

There's always next year.
    My take on SWAT is that its more for Race Day and short trail rides. I picked up the SWAT mini-tool and chain breaker for my birthday (too expensive for me to purchase myself!) The only thing I'm really longing for when I compare my 13 Epic to the 14 models is the ability to run two bottles in the frame, three if you use a seat post clamp. The two inside bottles I would love because I'm running a dropper post full time on my Epic. Since I can't run the box/storage option, I picked up some stuff from Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS to carry the rest.

Where SWAT 'falls down' down for me would be on Backcountry/Epic rides in the middle of nowhere. I'd need way more water than I can carry in two bottles, and the tool kit isn't what I'd want to have to use to make a trail side fix late in the day or being a few hours from the trailhead.

That said, I'll probably keep them on for the long summer rides. The tool/chain breaker combo aren't heavy at all, and its a nice security blanket to have around, especially for "jump out and go" rides.