Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Swapping the rear shock on a 2009 FSR XC Comp

I had a search on the archives but couldn't see much but has anyone done the above? I'm aware of the propietary shock length (190mm x 45mm)

Who has done it and what did you swap it for? Did you get the shock customised to the correct stroke? I've seen some great deals on 190mm x 50mm shocks and I'm wondering if I'd get away with that without having to alter the stroke length???

Any advice appreciated.

mtbr member
    Bob, this seems to be a common question. I've posted this as well. Looks as if some are using the 2" stroke with no issues. My concern is bottoming out the rockers. You can can a RP23 shimmed from PUSH. Personally I'm not taking the risk because I've bottomed my shock a few times and don't want to risk frame damage. See my post below.

I Hate This Shock... Help!

also it seems to me if Fox, RS, Manitou etc... could make this size available they would have line at the door for customers. I've checked with them all. X-Fusion has some instock and Fox has the Triad in the Specialized specific sizing.

best of luck...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Don't think this will work. advice on stw was

removing the shock and lowering the bike until the measurement I to I of the 2 shock mounting points is 190-50= 140mm appart. If nothing fouls then there is no reason not to fit the other shock.
    I did that and

I removed the top bolt on the shock and moved it out the way and fully compressed the suspension until it hit resistance and won't move any further.

At that point the i2i distance is 145mm so I'm assuming then than the 190mm x 50mm shock would definitely result in the frame hitting itself at some point?
    and

Distance between the arrows is 145mm

The point circled in red is where the rear triangle hits the linkage and stops the suspension compressing any more

The Toasted One
    Here my bike...

i replaced the stock Xfusion shock with a Fox RP2 7.5x2. No problems at all

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Result!

Fox Float RP2 - £100 from CRC
    TF Tuned stroke conversion - £40

;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardinBob
    Result!

Fox Float RP2 - £100 from CRC
    TF Tuned stroke conversion - £40

;-)

Where did you get it Bob or going to?

thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mtbr member
    did you have to get bushès?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It came with them

Bike Addiction
    Top and bottom bushings? Have you installed yet? Just bought mine and am wondering about bushings and installation. Going to try and install myself.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's just arrived back from TF after having the stroke reduced. It has one set of bushings that aren't fitted to the eyelet. I'm assuming they're for the bottom eyelet.

Thinking about the top eyelet on the x-fusion unit, on the bike there's a bearing in the eyelet, two washers either side with a large-ish bolt securing it all together

Bike Addiction
    Thanks BoardinBob, I was wondering too if I was needing a new reducer. I'm ignorant of this because I have not removed my old shock yet to see whats involved or whats in there. I'm assuming there are reducers. Guess I'll wait till new shock gets here to remove X-Fusion shock from bike. Wanna be able to ride it for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you look at the exploded views on page 14 here:

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...yka_Manual.pdf

The bottom eyelet of the shock appears to have the bushings

The top eyelet has the bearing with the washers either side. It may be that I can reuse the upper bearing and hopefully the bushings will fit too. I'm dropping it into my LBS tonight to get them to do the fitting as I don't have the tools to remove the bearings and if i need new ones they can order them in quickly.

Bike Addiction
    Thanks again BoardinBob.

Bike Addiction

Rp2 shock

Took my shock off last night just to look at the parts. Got a reply from Fox yesterday and am going to try to order a reducer this morning. Also got in contact with a guy on here mtb4life and ordered a bushing tool and bushings to install the shock. It's going to be a couple of weeks till shock comes in. I think its going to be simple, lbs probably could do it faster. But I want to wrench. May regret it. Ha ha.

mtbr member
    do you think pitch travel plates would fit a xc comp?? lets see some pics of the new shocks guys

Bike Addiction
    I finally got my rp2 shock in from CRC. It took 3 weeks to get here. I live in the US. They are probably really busy this time of the year. Installed last night and was a little dissappointed with the propedal (soft) but the ride is much better. No more pogo feeling. Can't wait till this weekend to really give it a go. Got a few pics of shock and installation parts from fox if any one wants to see.
    Last edited by 00sable; 03-26-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Bike Addiction

Pics of parts and #'s

Parts for X-Fusion to Fox swap. Swapped from 7.5 X 1.75 X-Fusion to Rp2 7.5 X 2.00. Already have taken bike off 2 foot drop flat to flat and no bottoming out or frame contact. Just rolled off seated landing on rear wheel. I weigh 170 lbs. It used a lot of the travel but was fine. Well worth the upgrade. About $200 for everything,loctite blue,spacers,reducers,bushings, bearing, shock and tool from mtbiker4life. The tool made things a little easier and faster. Swap easier than I thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swapping the rear shock on a 2009 FSR XC Comp-dsc00188.jpg  

Swapping the rear shock on a 2009 FSR XC Comp-dsc00189.jpg  

Swapping the rear shock on a 2009 FSR XC Comp-dsc00190.jpg  

Swapping the rear shock on a 2009 FSR XC Comp-dsc00192.jpg  

Last edited by 00sable; 03-25-2010 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    nice one for the part numbers,time too shop,just don`t tell the mrs

Bike Addiction

New shock ride

Rode the new shock for several hours this weekend and I am impressed again. I climbed some technical stuff and cleared it for the first time on this bike. Climbing really shined and in the saddle climbs too. Rear end stayed glued to the ground. Doesn't bunny hop as easy as it used to but I can live with that. Rp2 is still no rp23 but its close. I still feel rp2 is a little soft in propedal but I think its getting better with the breakin period. Propedal seemed a little stiffer after riding for a couple of hours. I ran more pressure in the 2 (160) than the 23 (140). Still tinkering with it but really impressed.Did I mention I was impressed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Interesting that you say your pro-pedal is soft. My shock is in medium tune for rebound and compression and the pro-pedal is very firm. Totally locked out on smooth terrain but kicks in when needed. I'm wondering if shortening the stroke length is the reason mine feels different to yours.

Bike Addiction
    Mine is med too.The first ride after installation I couldn't tell the difference if PP was on or off. Even off the bike pushing down with arms there was little or no difference. But after riding a few hours last weekend I can feel the difference now. It seems to be much more pronounced when in PP. Maybe I needed to break it in. Its still not as stiff as the Rp23. I run it on PP2 and midway compression. BoardinBob hope you are enjoying yours and again thanks for the help on buying and parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The new shock is fantastic. Such an improvement. So much more controlled over rough stuff and the increased rear traction on techy climbs is a massive boost.

local jackass
    can u do this on the 2010
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't get it...I have ridden a Specialized bike with an RP23 for about a year...I just bought a 2010 FSR XC Expert with the Xfusion...and I like the Xfusion better..never did like the RP23...thats just me though....I like what I perceive as BETTER control of the shock on the Xfusion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast