mtbr member

Suspension upgrades to 08 SJ?

So after having concluded that I over ride my '08 SJ, I am considering upgrading suspension bits to gain a bit more travle. Since I have an '08 SJ, I have 120mm of travel for front and rear. My POA seems to be to get a Talas or Pike fork, and a new linkage from BETD. My question would be, does the extra 20mm (.5 inch) of travel really make a difference? Or would I be better off just saving for a different machine that can handle the stuff the SJ can't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkeystyle
    So after having concluded that I over ride my '08 SJ, I am considering upgrading suspension bits to gain a bit more travle. Since I have an '08 SJ, I have 120mm of travel for front and rear. My POA seems to be to get a Talas or Pike fork, and a new linkage from BETD. My question would be, does the extra 20mm (.5 inch) of travel really make a difference? Or would I be better off just saving for a different machine that can handle the stuff the SJ can't?
    Youre not going to make it any tougher by uping the travel. It isnt the suspension, its the frame. Bikes built to take more abuse have beefier frames. IMOP your money would be better spent on a new rig or frame.

Compelling, and rich.
    Hrm . . . I assume that link would work with an '09 as well? o_o

mtbr member
    Frame argument makes sense. Just wanted to look at the options before I go about shelling out the $$ for a new rig. Looks like that's what I will be doing though!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkeystyle
    Frame argument makes sense. Just wanted to look at the options before I go about shelling out the $$ for a new rig. Looks like that's what I will be doing though!!
    What kind of riding are you trying to do with the Stumpy? Are you trying to get into freeride or more of an all mountain type ride?

mtbr member
    More of an All Mountain style. Freeride looks fun, but I would be hard pressed to legitimize a bike that's that beefy for the stuff around here. I just want 6 to 7 inches of travel. I live right by the mountains so having a ride that can tackle whatever they throw at me would be nice. Plus not having to worry about taking a jump or drop that may be too big would be nice as well. While I do enjoy the SJ for XC oriented stuff, when the trail gets really fun, the SJ gets nervous. I also just wanted to look at the problem from different angles before I made any kind of decision. But I had a feeling I would end up just getting a new rig.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Agreed. I was in the exact same position 2 months ago. I upgraded my Stumpjumper but in the end, it just didn't give me what I was looking for. I ended up getting an Enduro. Should have went that route right from the beginning!