Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Suspension Setup

www.specialized.com/suspensionsetup

Specialized posted a 5-part series of videos to help owners of the Enduro SL dial-in the various settings available on the bike's suspension. Though it is specific to the Enduro SL, much of the information could be useful for virtually any duallie.

We're still making some minor edits and tweaks to the site, but thought y'all might want to know that there's some good information available.

Enjoy.

Sean
    Specialized web/marketing guy

mtbr member
    That's pretty awesome

Want to make one for the Epic?
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That is cool. I'm still trying to get my Epic dialed in. Have had it for three weeks now and had first race on Sunday. Bike felt good, lungs are still seared. Legs are still somewhere on the mountain.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Cheers, Just what I'm after. Any news of the schematics for bolt torques etc?
    I'll have to get speakers now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the great feedback. Hopefully, this sort of thing will be helpful and riders will enjoy their bikes that much more.

Torque values and what-not should be in the owners manual. You can also look here:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCDownloads.jsp
    -- or --
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/sbcfaq.jsp

We'll look at doing a similar thing for the Epic...good idea. In the meantime, many of the principals (about sag, compression, and rebound damping) Mick explains for the Enduro SL apply to pretty much any full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thats is just what I am after as so far its been a lot of guesswork and trial and error...also shows how goosed my rear shock is incase the LBS try and tell me otherwise

Boulder, CO
    Fantastic find!

This will be a very highly rated thread.
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

mtbr member
    Well done! Everyone should watch this regardless of what brand or bike they ride.

...idios...
    This is, by a country mile, the most useful suspension thread on MTBR.

Thanks very much for posting them, Sean, and thanks very much to Specialized for putting those videos together.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

The Other Dude
    Wow, thats great! thanks again!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Boulder, CO
    I made a special trip to my LBS to pickup the sag tool last night.
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

mtbr member
    RedSWeb, please optimize the Spec website for faster and smoother operation. I have never been much to complain about the site, but somedays it is fast while other days it is as slow as molasses.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm sure the site is taking a beating now that this link is up... i sent it to all my riders

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    RedSWeb, please optimize the Spec website for faster and smoother operation. I have never been much to complain about the site, but somedays it is fast while other days it is as slow as molasses.
    Have you ever heard of a thing called server load?
    :wq

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Just spent $40 on speakers so I could actually make sense of the vids. Superb is all I can say, every manufacturer should bring these out.

Mike says that thres a lot more clicks on the rebound dial of the rear, mines got 10?
    when sat on the bike the compression dial shows an S to the left hand side, that's the DH setting?

Still can't find the torque settings page.
    Last edited by catnash; 04-21-2007 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great video - the only thing is - I now want an Enduro SL LOL - I'll have to make do with my Stumpy for a while yet :-|)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Wait wait wait!

So... the 25% sag should be of the full travel of the bike and not 25% of the stroke length of the shock?!! It's not at a 1:1 ratio? Why the hell didn't they tell us that before? Do they have the sag o meters for the stumpies?

...idios...
    "...the 25% sag should be of the full travel of the bike and not 25% of the stroke length of the shock?!!"

No, sag is 25% of the stroke, for shock and fork. Measuring 25% of actual rear travel would just be way too impractical. You'd need mirrors...and buckets, or something(?). Shock stroke is directly proportional to rear travel.

"It's not at a 1:1 ratio? Why the hell didn't they tell us that before?"

How many bikes have you seen with 5, 6, 7, 8 inches of stroke?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The shock man on the video says it isn't one to one, though, in the sag video.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab
    So... the 25% sag should be of the full travel of the bike and not 25% of the stroke length of the shock?!! It's not at a 1:1 ratio? Why the hell didn't they tell us that before? Do they have the sag o meters for the stumpies?
    25% of the full travel of the bike exactly equals 25% of the stroke length of the shock.
    The stroke length of the shock is about 50mm, the travel of the rear suspension is 150mm. This gives a rough 3:1 ratio for the rear suspension because of the four bar link lengths and pivot positions. What this means is that 25% sag would be about 12.5mm on the shock body.

The fork has 150mm of travel and a 1:1 stroke to travel ratio because there are no pivot or linkages, so sag can be measured directly.

My mates 2007 Stumpy FST also has its own sag-o-meter which I doubt is identical to mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Please excuse my idiocy, I haven't been sleeping

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    I am a Linux Cluster Test Engineer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    I am a Linux Cluster Test Engineer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    On this video, Mike says the rear shock has 12 clicks on the rebound adjustment.
    Mine has 9, and this is a brand new one today after being replaced.......does anyone else have 9 clicks?

Also, Mike says 35 - 37mm for the E150 sag, the E150 Manual recommends 37.5 - 45mm sag (25-30%)

Does anyone else have a lot less PSI in the shocks than the manual recommends? I Do, almost half, but I have spent over an hour checking, checking again & re-checking the sag and its sagging as suggested with a lot less PSI.....(It may be my pump that is duff)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I can relate

If the SL has sag, is it considered to be bob? What I mean is, if you have sag on the bike and pedal as hard as possible, and then the little sag you have has bob with your weight, is it real bob to you?
    Riding and loving it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast