mtbr member

Suspension setup : '07 SJ FSR Expert

Just received my new bike. Worked last night to get the suspension sag set. Got the proper rear sag using the recommended air pressure. For the front fork I have dropped the pressure to 15 psi below recommended and still don't get enough sag. Has anyone else noticed if the recommended fork air pressure is too high?

Here is the new Bike in the Shop (Cycle and Fitness in St Joe, MI)
    DSC01305c.JPG

Bike at home, note the added Carbon Specialized bar ends and Echo wireless computer.
    DSC01307c.JPG

Another view at home, yes I know the reflectors are still on. I will leave them on for the winter, I do a lot of night riding. Also note the offset seat post reversed. We had to do this to get the seat position correct. Ordered a zero offset Thompson seat post today as a replacement. Also have a XT cassette on order.
    DSC01316c.JPG

Currently the bike weighs 28.5. I can't wait to ride it! We got a foot of snow the night before it arrived!

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Looks good. That's odd about the fork. I have an 06 comp and I'm running about 15 over the recommended press. And it was really plush from day 1. Maybe they're using slightly tighter seals now, creating the need for some break in miles. Put some miles on it, once you can, then try again.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I had the tight seal theory in mind also.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice bike, I have the same ride in LG . XT cassette, Carbon S-works low rise bar and cateye wireless comp. Thomson elite seatpost on it's way, woohoo!!!

I second the "break-in" of the suspension, it will get better and smoother after a few miles of riding.
    Last edited by 3xv; 01-17-2007 at 09:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Beautiful machines!

What's that boot over your rear shock 3xv?
    I've tried lots of home-brew shock protectors, with varied results, but haven't seen anything like that.
    Looks like a stubbie cooler....

Cheers.
    ride your bike, ride, ride, ride...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice bikes. I have the charcoal ano in med myself. Flash some pics when you are done with your builds (are we ever done). Let us know how the shock breaks in. Mine is sitting in the basement until basketball season ends (1.5 more months!).

mtbr member

Update on suspension settings

Did my first ride today on the new bike. Got a Thompson Elite zero offset seat post, the seat is now in the correct place, saved a few grams also!

I had the fork set at 100 PSI, 140 mm travel and mid of the rebound damping clicks. The Rear shock was set at 210 psi, mid of the road on rebound clicks and the brain halfway between firm and soft.

I rode the first 2/3 of the red loop at Fort Custer (MI), there was about 1 " of snow on the trail, perfectly ridable.

The first thing I noticed was a more upright riding position than the loaner Fuel Ex I had been riding. see picture
    DSC01302c.JPG

The Fuel was set up for a friend of mine that is taller and the reach from the seat to the bar was a little long for me. The FSR is about one inch shorter for this dimension.

The shorter reach felt OK after a while. In fact on the one big hill the front end seemed less twitchy. More miles will tell if the new position will work.

Average speed wasn't too high due to the somewhat slippery surface, about 2 mph slower than in the summer. The bike handled the roots, rocks and smaller drops in a much smoother way that the Fuel.

This is how much travel I used
    DSC01400c.JPG

110 mm

DSC01399c.JPG

Looks like the factory suggestions are in the ballpark.

I also like the new seat post.

DSC01402c.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Blackjack - it's a motorcycle company named seal savers. Check out this site...

http://www.sealsavers.com/abi002/sho...p_ID=1&CATID=1

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpc111
    Did my first ride today on the new bike. Got a Thompson Elite zero offset seat post, the seat is now in the correct place, saved a few grams also!

I had the fork set at 100 PSI, 140 mm travel and mid of the rebound damping clicks. The Rear shock was set at 210 psi, mid of the road on rebound clicks and the brain halfway between firm and soft.

I rode the first 2/3 of the red loop at Fort Custer (MI), there was about 1 " of snow on the trail, perfectly ridable.

The first thing I noticed was a more upright riding position than the loaner Fuel Ex I had been riding.

Looks like the factory suggestions are in the ballpark.
    Sounds good. I went from an older stumpy with the more forward position to the more upright position of the 06. It felt a little weird at first but I like it now. As for the pressure, I keep mine a little on the high side to help reduce pedal smack. Still get full travel but only once in a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack
    What's that boot over your rear shock 3xv?
    Lizard Skins???
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP