mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Suspension set up

Forgive me if this already exists in the forums. I couldn't find what I needed so here goes: I have a Camber Expert and it is my first FS. I love having the rear suspension but, when set to the proper sag, it feels cushy even in pro pedal. This is probably due to the fact that I rode a HT for 12 years and just need to get used to the feeling of rear travel. My question is this. Can I pump up the rear shock to be a lot stiffer without damaging it? I like the squish, just want less of it. I thought about running it up to the max but wanted to get some opinions first. I feel like I am riding through mud sometimes having the rear set to recommended sag. Any thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    What air pressure are you using in the rear shock? Did you start off with the recommended air pressure for your weight or concentrate on the sag measurement instead?

If the bike is very bouncy when pedalling then you may need to add more air pressure to the shock, along with changing the propedal setting and possibly adding rebound damping also. The recommended starting air pressure and rebound settings for a 2011 Specialized Camber are in this chart:

http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/..._air_Chart.pdf

If it's still bobbing when pedalling at the recommended settings then you can "over pressure" the shock by adding more air until the bike pedals acceptably. (try adding an extra 20-50 psi over recommended settings to begin with). The downsides are that it will make the ride harsher and you won't get full travel from the rear suspension because extra pressure makes the air spring stiffer.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    I'm guessing it may be the rebound.

My Camber has a pretty decent platform w/ the shock open and sag set properly according to the goofy "Sag-o-tron" sticker. Pressure is about 5 lbs up from that table for my riding weight (~205-210lbs) @ 185psi and 4 clicks worth of rebound. I still prefer Pro-Pedal enabled unless I'm about to do a pretty serious and extended descent, but it's definitely not bobbing excessively when open.

mtbr member
    There is no problem adding more air, just add 5psi each ride until it feels right. Keep in mind this may actually give you less travel, but if it feels right just go with it. You'll likely need to slow down your rebound to account for the extra pressure which will cause the rear end to be over active or "chattery". If it were me, I'd focus on the pro pedal setting first and get that feeling good. FWIW, I like both my fork and shock air up higher than recommended settings.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I pumped it up a little past the recommended setting and it helped it feel better to me. Then I tried to unscrew the positive valve cap to air up the fork and couldn't get it to budge. I didn't want to grab pliers and bugger it all to pieces. Any tricks on getting that thing off? The way it is made, you can't put a socket on it and I can't turn it by hand. THanks!

mtbr member
    You could try putting a piece of cloth over the valve cap and then use pliers to get more leverage in order to unscrew it.

The cloth should hopefully stop the pliers scratching the valve cap if you're careful.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    You could try putting a piece of cloth over the valve cap and then use pliers to get more leverage in order to unscrew it.

The cloth should hopefully stop the pliers scratching the valve cap if you're careful.
    Pretty much this ^

I use cut up pieces of old tubes.