Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trail Rider
    Jun 2009

SuPrBuGmAn's '10 Hardrock 29er Build Thread

I'm bored, a thread seems like fun. Most of the big stuff has already been swapped out, so no ackwardly long waits between updates.

About a year ago, I bought a 2010 Hardrock Sport Disc. At the time, I didn't want to put more money into biking. Several months previous to that point, I even bought a schwalmart bike to make sure I was even going to stick with it enough to pay for an entry level 'real' bike. I did, so I pulled the trigger on a Hardrock.

I had no intention of getting a 29er, but after a test drive(sneaky sales guy put it into the mix of 26ers I was looking at), I was sold on big wheels.

I rode it around bike paths, 4 wheeler paths, and the occassional single track for quite some time. When I could no longer keep my friends interested in riding, I set off on my own and rode solo alot, and continuously got more and more interested in single track.

Eventually, I fell into a small group of regular riders, who were lightyears ahead of me in terms of skill. I started to ride with them(read as chase after them relentlessly) on much rougher trails, which eventually took a toll on some of the lower end components on my bike. So a first round of upgrades took shape. Bought a Rock Shox Reba SL, new grips, and some pedals(Welgo MG-1s).

I'm staying on the pedals quite a bit more now and soaking up the bumps to no end. The occassional crash keeps me fighting the front wheel to be somewhat trued. Been riding it regularly for about a year now and never do really take advantage of the extra chainrings, by now the stock Suntour crank is creaking, and I figure its time for a new round of upgrades.

A load of Sram parts, including X7 shifters and RD, PG980 9spd 11-34 cassette, a Truvativ Stylo 1.1 crank, and to fix the wobbly wheel... Stans Flows with ZTR hubs and Specialized 2Bliss Fast Trak LK Controls. Between the new cranks, rims, fork, going tubeless and in small part ot the rest of the upgraded components the bike shed some weight. Stock it was a bit above 32 lbs, now its sitting at 26lbs 4 oz.

Feels like a whole new bike again. Gonna get some time on it, then finish up replacing the rest of the stock components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice...honestly I don't know about 90% of what your talking about...but I'm trying to learn. I decided on a Hardrock...upgraded to the disc...then to the sport disc...

I'm trying to resist the urge to get a 29er...

Mountain Man Dan
    How much was the fork? And the cassette?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Nice, my bike will be very very similar in build when I'm done.
    Picked up my flows and armadillos today and next will be the 1x9 drivetrain with sram x7 stuff as well. I was going to spring a little more for the X9 but my LBS tech runs the X7 on his camber and said the current X7 is the X9 from last year.

Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Mountain Man Dan
    Wow, that '11 hard rock looks 100x better with black rims. How much did the build cost you for the rims?
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

dying hurts.
    looks good man madsedan!
    with the x7 now featuring alloy thumb paddles, and alloy body on the rear der, there's no real reason imo to spring for the x9 stuff.
    x7 is buttery smooth, looks great and is cheaper to replace!
    the old x7 had alot more plastic but the new stuff is great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan
    Nice, my bike will be very very similar in build when I'm done.
    Picked up my flows and armadillos today and next will be the 1x9 drivetrain with sram x7 stuff as well. I was going to spring a little more for the X9 but my LBS tech runs the X7 on his camber and said the current X7 is the X9 from last year.

The smurf bike is gone...it looks 100x better! Nice job

How much in total upgrade cost at this point?
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I can't complain at all about any of the '11 X-7 stuff, its all been great so far. Setup easily and shifts wonderfully. Looks damned cool too with the color scheme they've got goin on for the groupset.

Madsedan - stealin my thunder you blue whore! kidding. The bikes looking good, you'll be suprised at how light everything gets. I had no idea I'd be dropping into the mid-20s so cheaply/easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    How much was the fork? And the cassette?
    Bought the fork off a 120 lb girl for $300, it wasn't abused

The cassette was new, somethin like $70 from the LBS, cheaper online if you go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    Wow, that '11 hard rock looks 100x better with black rims. How much did the build cost you for the rims?
    $500 for me, from Stans, with black spokes and red nipples, FWIW. ZTR hubs.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    any idea what the wheel tire combos weigh? i weighed my hardrock tonight minus wheels and tires and it was 20lbs 15oz. with the wheels and tires on it weigh 33lbs 10oz. its a 21" frame but its only about 1 lb heavier then yours was stock.
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I didn't weigh them, but according to Stans wheel weight calculator thingy they'd be 1819 grams, plus the weight of 2Bliss Fast Trak LK Controls.

The crank and fork also made significant differences.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Slight update

Trying out a 2Bliss Renegade Control in the back and swapped out the stock saddle(which I've mangled on several occassions) with the Spec Phenom

Mountain Man Dan
    Do those tires grip anything at all?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    They're awesome on hardpack and actually corner a bit better than the Fast Traks IMO, faster rolling too.

Mountain Man Dan
    They remind me of the Racing Ralph.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Small update - Truvativ stem and flatbar

Mountain Man Dan
    Have you done anything else?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Nothing terribly significant, honestly.

I've swapped the brake levers for Avid SD7s, which are the **** as far as adjustability. I've been doing more, longer rides in the 15-25 mile range and added some bar ends for some alternative hand positions.

Stans Flows w/ZTR Hubs(and red nips!)
    Specialized 2Bliss Fast Trak Controls in front
    Specialized 2Bliss Renegade Controls in back
    Specialized BG Contour Locking Grips
    Ergonomic Carbon(ish) Bar-Ends
    Truvativ Stylo Race Flatbar
    Truvativ Stylo Team Stem
    Rock Shox Reba SL
    Specialized Rib Cage
    Truvativ Stylo 1.1 Cranks
    Deda Dog Fang Chainstop
    Welgo MG1
    Sram 9speed Chain
    Sram PG980 Cassette(went 1x9)
    Sram X-7 short cage rear Derailier
    Sram X-7 Shifters
    Avid Speed Dial 7s
    Specialized Phenom Comp

Also bought a seatpost mount rear rack(Topeak MTX somethinoranother) and somehow managed to talk the woman into sewing me up a frame bag; all in preperation of my first overnighter bike-packing trip(80 miles) this weekend. I'll post some pictures up soon enough - the bike looks beastly as a packhorse.
    Last edited by SuPrBuGmAn; 11-18-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Mountain Man Dan
    Ah. I was just curious, I love build threads like this.

I suppose there isn't anything else to change huh? Just the headset!

Have you rebuilt the fork yet?

Mountain Man Dan
    Ha Ha. I know how you feel. I have a 10' RH Comp ( Blue - Charcoal ) that's been pretty much fully upgraded and I still have the bb5's, with Speed Dial 7 levers, and Alligator Serration Rotors. For such a cheap brake everyone whines about, it's still going great, I can't complain at all. Been using them hard for a little over a year. They've done some downhill too! The SD 7 levers helped.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The lockout doesn't work so much anymore on the fork but that seems to be the only weak point in it so far. I didn't use the lockout much, so haven't put a rebuild very high on the list to be honest.

I'm still running the BB5s, which have worked fine for me to be honest. I'll likely swap to BB7s for easier adjustments and if I get a bit more stopping power out of the pads it uses, its not going to ruin my day

I'll swap the seatpost for a Thompson eventually too.

Then I'll probably just convert the whole damned thing to a SS and build up a Carve? Bah, who knows. It'll be awhile before that happens though.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Just after I bought my HR(its a '10 model, I bought it in late '09), the LBS got in a '10 Rockhopper Comp 29er in light green.

I always had a bit of buyers remorse after seeing that bike. Would have made a great doublemint 29er

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rigged out for an overnighter

Mountain Man Dan
    Are you always drinking red bull when you ride or do you carry around a can for bike standing purposes?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I'd rather not answer that question :P

Mountain Man Dan
    Hey, what seat post rack is that? How do you like it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast