Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

suggestion's for 06 stumpy dream build

ok, your input is desired. If I decide to go with the 06 S works stumpy frameset, I do have some pieces that can be swapped. As I mentioned before, I have a very sweet 03 S works wheelset with Hugi 240 hubs that could be salvaged. The current Avid mechanicals really should be retired to get some new hydro's. I have an 05 Fox Vanilla R, 130mm travel, currently shortened to 100mm.

Ultimately, I want the build to be as light and reliable as possible. My thoughts;
    maybe have PUSH do the full treatment to the Vanilla. It is something like a $250+ upgrade, but sure beats buying a new $650+ fork. The performance would probably be comparable also. Probably do an XTR crankset, for brakes either XT or Juicy 7's? Never had dual control, and many friends that have them have sense converted to Sram triggers...and love them. Would probably get carbon bar, saddle, stem. With the integrated headsets, that new King headset will still be on the garage shelf.

So, what are some good choices for components, other suggestions for crankset, etc? I used quite a bit of the big S, and Ritchey components in the build of my current stumpy.

If I go for the frameset, and not the whole bike, what is some of the good stuff?

mtbr member
    Sell the heavy Vanilla and buy a lighter F100X instead.

I'd also suggest you to buy XT cranks instead of XTR. XT lasts longer, is a lot cheaper and only a minor weight difference. The rings are cheaper to replace. Or then Race Face Deus XC crankset.

Avid Juicy 7 brakes, Thomson seatpost & X4 stem, S-works riser, Selle SLR saddle, eggbeaters, Racing Ralphs or NBX Lite, X.0 rear derailleur with X.0 triggers, XTR front der.

That would be my choice of components.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Good alternatives for a Carbon Riser are Raceface Next LP Riser and also the Easton Monkeylite. I got the Raceface one and love it.

Although the XTR Crankset is pretty expensive, I still love it. Have changed the chainrings to Middleburn ones thou.

Juicy Disc Brakes are a good choice. I'm using a Juicy 5 myself personally and they are great! The calipers are easy to align too.

I'm using SRAM X-9 Triggers and Rear D and they work great too

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

Fox Talas xtt

man would a long travel initera valve fork not be a sweet compliment to the brain stumpy? Can't imagine what that puppy will cost. The terra logic float rlc is $175 more than the standard float rlc. That would make the Talas xtt about a $775 fork, yikes!

Bear

Here's my list....

Deck out the 2006 stumpy with:

King headset
    Fox Talas fork
    Thomson post
    Thomson Stem
    Easton Monkelite riser
    SRAM X.0 triggers
    Avid Juicy 7's
    ODI Ruffian Lock on grips
    Race Face Deus xc X-type crankset
    SRAM cassette and chain

Shoe it with your choice of tires and top it off with whatever saddle fits your rear...ride the he** out of it.
    Bear

mtbr member

parts suggestion

I'd pimp that out with

King headset
    06 Fox Float 130 XTT fork (or PUSH that Vanilla)
    Thomson post
    Flite TT or SLR XC saddle
    Syntace F99 stem
    Easton Monkeylite or Maxm carbon riser
    SRAM X.0 triggers + rear der.
    Magura Marta or Formula Oro brakes
    Shimano XT or Race Face Deus crankset

mtbr member
    If I understood coorectly, the frame mentioned by the original poster is the hardtail S-Works Stumpjumper. Equipping the frame with a 130mm fork would be ridiculous. I suggest to get the 100mm F100X... Or the 06 Reba World Cup that comes witha a carbon crown

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa
    If I understood coorectly, the frame mentioned by the original poster is the hardtail S-Works Stumpjumper. Equipping the frame with a 130mm fork would be ridiculous. I suggest to get the 100mm F100X... Or the 06 Reba World Cup that comes witha a carbon crown
    Oops...sorry, I thought it was an FSR... In that case, the F100X would be cool. I guess the new Manitou R7 could be nice too.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

FSR XC frame , no HT

and the new integrated headset's means no King, unless there are better sealed bearing sets?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

pimped stumpy

You have some great suggestions from other posters.
    Parts that I have on my 05 Stumpy 120 that I love are:

Sram XO der,shifter (twisters)
    Hope Mono 4's 205mm front, 185 rear, AMAZING
    Race face X cranks
    Fizik gobi saddle
    Hope seat post quick release (seriously)
    Tubless anything. I run UST C'max XL's with Stans. I have punctured, but never flated.
    Easton Monkey Lite carbon low rise
    Odi "Ruffian" lock ons
    Candy's
    Of course Thomson stem, seatpost