mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Subject covered before I'm sure but...

OK, here it goes and you've seen it before so link me or trash me at will- but in the meantime give me specific rims/hubs etc.

I have a 2009 Epic Expert that I could not be more happy with. I have a light wheelset (1540 grams built by a guy no longer in the business) that I have 2.1 Maxxis Crossmark UST Lust tires on but I use this most often on my 2008 Stumpy Elite- not the Epic. I would like to get a similar wheelset for the Epic and keep a more fast rolling 2.0 tire on this one such as my S-Works Fast Trak 2-Bliss.

So without blowing the family budget and staying around 1650 grams or so does anyone have suggestions that won't bust the budget? What/Where/Who?

Thanks for any reply.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    What IS the budget?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Budget

Thanks for replying thrasher.

Let's go with $500

And then also $750

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Spynergy Cyclones

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Close to your $500 mark: Hope Pro II / NoTubes 355 here. $572 / ~1630 grams. For a little extra you can get DT Swiss Comp spokes and aluminum nips and shave off a little more. No proprietary spokes, the Hope Pro IIs seem to have a solid reputation on this forum, and the 355s will allow you to run a tubeless setup. My own experience is on the Arch rims which I love, but they are certainly heavier. And Colorado Cyclist builds great wheels - I think this is a solid option.

Of course, you haven't said anything about the terrain that you ride, your riding style or your weight so take this recommendation with those limitations in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    http://www.lacemine29.com/
    2 sets of wheels built by this guy. GREAT WHEELS and PRICES!!!!!!