mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Stumy Pro 2006 Size Help

Hello, I´m writting from Spain. (Sorry if my english is not very good....)

I want to bike a Stumpjumper FSR pro 2006 MTB and I need help with the size .
    My overall height is 187cm (6' 2") and I have an inseam of 93cm (3') measured in socks from floor to crotch and set my saddle at 82.5cm (2' 7") from BB to top of saddle.

What size do you think I have to buy?

Thanks
    Last edited by CIRANO; 10-08-2005 at 02:57 PM.

mechmann_mtb
    a little over 6', i would have to say get a large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Depends how you like to ride. I'm 5'10" roughly and ride a large. For me this feels good for stretching out XC but it still feels really easy to throw around. A friend is about 6' and also rides a large with a fair bit of seat post hanging out. You should be able to adjust the seat position and stem no problems on a large to suit your riding style. Just be aware that the geometry on the Sj is quite a bit slacker than your standard hardtail or an Epic, and feels a lot more like a trail bike than a XC racer, not that you can't go fast on it!

mtbr member
    I'm 183 cm with 90 cm inseam, and size L fsr 120 fits me lika a glove.

My 400mm Thomson is set at the maximum extension mark and it's just perfect there. (knee extends when my heel is at the pedal and the pedal in lowest position)

You may be able get the seatpost up enough with a 93 cm inseam if you have low profile pedals and a saddle that doesn't have a very low profile.

My saddle is very low profile and I had to raide the seatpost 10mm to get it to the same height as with original saddle. (Selle SLR)

I think you should try the L and XL. If you like to ride with the saddle in a true XC position, you may face problems with a L size bike...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm 5'10" (178cm). I bought a Medium 2004 FSR 100, based on comparing the frame size to my 2001 Stumpjumper hardtail. But after riding it for a few months decided I would be happier on a Large. I feel like the size Large FSR 120 fits me very well.

I agree that at your height, you should try both a Large and an XL. One thing to consider is that there isn't much difference in standover height between these sizes (8mm), most of the difference is in top tube length and wheelbase.

pem
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CIRANO

My overall height is 187cm (6' 2") and I have an inseam of 93cm (3') measured in socks from floor to crotch and set my saddle at 82.5cm (2' 7") from BB to top of saddle.

Thanks
    I'm also considering buying the stumpjumper and am about same size, 189 cm but longer back and shorter legs, I use 80 cm saddle height. I did two hours test ride (changing singletrack, roots and stones) with my friend's Stumpjumper FSR 100 size L, which has the same top tube length as 120 and the bike felt long enough for me. That friend of mine is on the shorter end of the L range and has cut his seat post, but I still got the saddle high enough when I inserted it just to the minimum insertion mark in frame (that little hole in the seat tube). So I think I should have no problem with the default 400 mm seatpost.

As somebody already said, the top tube length is the most important thing in geometry. That's 612 mm in Large and 638 in XL, so the change is quite a big. Also the default setup has 15 mm longer stem in XL. Very likely I'm going for L myself, but I think XL would not be exactly wrong, just a personal preference of the driving position and feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks
    Cirano,
    You and I are the same size and I ride an XL StumpJumper. I rode a large Epic in '03 and it was just a bit to short for me. I bought an XL StumpJumper in '04 and just replaced it with an XL S Works SJ last week and I find the XL to be much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks to all for the help.

I probed a L size this weekend and I have to set the seatpost at the maximum extension mark (+-1cm.) and I don´t like this. However, the distance betwen seatpost and stem is the same that in my actual bike (a 1994 kona explosif) ¿?

I think my legs are too long for choosing the L size......

I attach a photo of mi bike because i would like to know your opinion about the size. I´m start to think the incorrect size is the actual bike (Kona), pay attention to stem and seat post. Don´t you think a bigger could be better?

Thank´s folks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wink

Thanks
    Hey,
    I had the same dillema 2 weeks ago because I'm 1.87 as well.
    I tried a L stumpy and my upper body felt its a bit small.
    I bought a new Stumpy fsr expert XL and it feels great.
    Try both because our height (6ft 2") is in between.
    look at the following sizing chart:

Stumpjumper Sizing Chart
    15.5" 5ft5" - 5ft7"
    17" 5ft8" - 5ft9"
    18" 5ft10" - 5ft11"
    19" 6ft" - 6ft1"
    21" 6ft2" - 6ft5"
    * Please note that this sizing chart is
    specific to this bike only.

good luck