mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Stumpy Seat Post Length

This is kind of a cross post in the general discussion area. I need to shorten my seatpost on my 07 stumpy. Does anyone have any reccomendations as to how short I can go without damaging the frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I put mine to my highest riding position then marked it through the indication hole on the frame(shows minimum length needed in frame) then took it off and cut it - think it was the right thinking....

mtbr member
    I wanted to shorten my seatpost just to have it lower for "play time." I cut an inch off the bottom with a hacksaw and used a file to clean up the edge. The inch off the bottom is perfect although I usually keep the seat at "all mountain" height.

BTW, it is better to cut a little off each time with multiple cuts than hacking off 5 inches and making the seatpost too short.

mtbr member

Seat Post..

I recently bought an 07 expert and noticed when I was purchasing it that the seat would not lower. They measured it and cut off a few inches. If you just purchased your bike, take it back where you bought it and they should fix you up for free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks guys,
    I just cut it off a CH below the peep hole. Much Much BETTER