mtbr member

Stumpy S-Works or Pro?

I am trying to choose between the 06 Stumpy Pro and and Stumpy S-Works (alum. not carbon). Am I really going to notice the difference from the XT to XTR parts? Are the crossmax wheels that much better then the 717's? Basically I need to decide if it is worth the extra $$$, and the pro is at my LBS while the S-Works seem to be out for a while.
    Please give me some insite so I dont pull the trigger to soon and regret it later. Argh, tuff to wait.
    Thanks for any and all advise.
    :-)

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

I'd go pro

personally, I can not stand that awful brown of the M5 Stumpy. The black pro is very nice, and nicely spec'd also. Do a Stan's No Tubes conversion on the tires, and roll on. Sweet bike, kinda reasonable price too...

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

forgot-06 SW Stumpy on ebay

that brown not so beauty. Has not gotten a bid, two times around. I think the guy wants $3900 for it now. Sorry, no link, it' s a medium frame, do a search if interested.

mtbr member

Go with S Works

I agree with Magdaddy- either way you will get a great bike, but if you can swing the extra bucks get the XTR Stuff and Cross Max- you will love the components. Good luck and enjoy your bike either way.

mtbr member
    The only big difference between XT and XTR is price. XTR is a little lighter and a LOT more expensive. They both function well. The crossmax may be better but how much better?

The difference in list price is over $1000 yet all of the important stuff (shock, fork, rear derailleur) are the same. Go with the Pro!
    Last edited by kingbozo; 03-30-2006 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd go for a S-works frame and equip it with SRAM X0 components and a XC 717 disc / DT240s wheelset...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa
    I'd go for a S-works frame and equip it with SRAM X0 components and a XC 717 disc / DT240s wheelset...
    OK, that's pretty funny!

mtbr member

Pro w/crossmax

Isnt that what is spec'ed on the Pro?
    Hmmm. It is tough to pull the trigger and drop that coin.
    I need to ride so it needs to be soon.
    What about a Pro with a upgrade to the crossmax sl wheels?
    How does that set up sound?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The PRO by a long shot. The S-WORKS is for sponsored riders, shop employees, and people who don't have to ask how much.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

no crossmax's-Stan's wheels

for the price of the Crossmax's, you could have Stan(aka Stan's No Tubes fame) build you a KILLER light and strong Olympic wheelset. Alot lighter than the Crossmax's, and the special rim he builds them with lets you run sick low tire pressures.

That's my dream build wheelset...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got a 2005 S-Works SJ120 (full XTR--no X.O.). Is the XTR/XO (2006) worth the extra $$ v. XT/XO?--dunno (probably not), but I can tell you that the full XTR on the 05 shifts really, really nicely (and I have bonded with the dual control levers--my other bikes have the XTR triggers, and running an 8-speed with old 7-sp XT thumbies on another) . And, you get a Thomson stem and carbon riser bar on the S-Works, plus the Mavic wheels.

I was very skeptical of the Crossmax SL wheels, as I'm 6'1" / 210# dripping wet, but I am impressed. Got a lot of big hits on these suckers, and they are still perfectly true. And, they're easier to service/set the bearings than my King hubs.

I think that if you've got the coin, do the S-Works "just because"--it is a nice setup. But, the 06 Pro is a very nice bike, to be sure, and can't go wrong either way.

Frankly, if money's not a big issue, buy an S-Works frame and build it--costs more, but sure is fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer
    Isnt that what is spec'ed on the Pro?
    Hmmm. It is tough to pull the trigger and drop that coin.
    I need to ride so it needs to be soon.
    What about a Pro with a upgrade to the crossmax sl wheels?
    How does that set up sound?

Pro is spec'ed with 717s a SRAM x90 and a DT rear hub.

You could afford the pro, upgrade to Crossmax and still have money for a few beers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Get the PRO! I have the '05 s-works 120, i bought it as a frameset, I had a front & rear XTR derailler and decided to go all XTR, although there is definite difference in shiftng w/ the XTR being crisper, the XT is no push-over. I've used the XT groupset for long time as well and it has performed very well. The S-works frameset is also a bit lighter because the down tube is made of M5. But don't compromise on the Wheelset! Get the Crossmax as it is a fantastic strong wheel. I actually have the XL because of its black color (goes w/ the ano black of my frame) plus heard that it can take a bit more punishment than the SL's. downside is the XL's are slightly heavier than the SL's.

So its the PRO, XT but w/ the crossmax, get the XL they're less expensive then the SL's.

mtbr member

I did it!

Well the deal came and I couldnt pass on the SWorks.
    I think I will learn to love that UPS brown color it comes in.
    Besides it it almost the color of dirt, right?
    If it was only here, I must wait a few days for her to arrive.
    I am just giddy. :-)

mtbr member

The Wait Begins

Congrats Boxer-post some pics when she arrives.

mtbr member
    I know a few cases where people got the cheaper bike and wondered afterwards if it was the right decision.
    I dont know any case where someone bought the expensive bike and regretted it. Just enjoy

SXtreem now

frame color

Well the deal came and I couldnt pass on the SWorks.
    I think I will learn to love that UPS brown color it comes in.
    Besides it it almost the color of dirt, right?
    If it was only here, I must wait a few days for her to arrive.
    I am just giddy. :-)
    the s-works comes in black ano, silver ano, and my fav, brown ano. maybe only framesets though.

mtbr member

yes & no.

The whole S-Works (non carbon) bike only comes on the anod. brown color. While the frame alone is offered in the anod. black, silver and brown.
    FYI. I just discovered that the carbon S-Works has 130mm rear travel while the rest of the Stumpy's only have 120mm rear travel.
    Last edited by Boxer; 04-06-2006 at 11:31 AM.

SXtreem now
    The whole S-Works (non carbon) bike only comes on the anod. brown color. While the frame alone is offered in the anod. black, silver and brown.
    FYI. I just discovered that the carbon S-Works has 130mm rear travel while the rest of the Stumpy's only have 130mm rear travel.
    correction...120mm of rear travel on m4's

moe.
    Sep 2005

I have the 05 S-Works too...

Quote Originally Posted by tbcpn
    I've got a 2005 S-Works SJ120 (full XTR--no X.O.). Is the XTR/XO (2006) worth the extra $$ v. XT/XO?--dunno (probably not), but I can tell you that the full XTR on the 05 shifts really, really nicely (and I have bonded with the dual control levers--my other bikes have the XTR triggers, and running an 8-speed with old 7-sp XT thumbies on another) . And, you get a Thomson stem and carbon riser bar on the S-Works, plus the Mavic wheels.

I was very skeptical of the Crossmax SL wheels, as I'm 6'1" / 210# dripping wet, but I am impressed. Got a lot of big hits on these suckers, and they are still perfectly true. And, they're easier to service/set the bearings than my King hubs.

I think that if you've got the coin, do the S-Works "just because"--it is a nice setup. But, the 06 Pro is a very nice bike, to be sure, and can't go wrong either way.

Frankly, if money's not a big issue, buy an S-Works frame and build it--costs more, but sure is fun.
    And I have to agree that the full XTR is sweet. I like SRAM and have XO on my freeride bike but the shift lever system on the XTR is nice. I have even come close to needing to true the Crossmax wheels.