mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Stumpy Pro for large rider?

I am interested in buying a 2006 Stumpjumper Pro. I'm 6'4 200 lbs. I know they have a pretty stiff rear end but, is that rear end going to be stiff for somebody like me? I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who's my size with experience on an 06 stumpy. Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm 6'1" / 210#, on an '05 S-Works Stumpy 120. Bike is very rigid laterally, even hammering thru turns on pavement or fireroads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Love my 06 XL Stumpy Comp

Even the lower end stumpys have decent parts specs and hold up under a few lbs.
    I'm 6'3" and tip the scales at 225lbs when the gear is on and I haven't felt any flex in the frame. I haven't done any drops over 3 feet but I do ride aggressive singletrack in Marin and I love this bike to death, it just soaks up all the bumps and no matter how knarly the section of trail the bike stays under you. Climbing in the saddle is great, the back tire grips the trail and even with my stock tires a bit worn. The XL size has the bigger front rotor and extra reinforcement where downtube meets seattube. I run about 240psi in the rear Triad shock and that gives it a more XC feel, running at 225psi has a more plush feel and I have NEVER bottomed out (even though sag is quite significant). If you use the bike for its intended purpose, I can't image you every having a problem with the frame or components. Get one, your riding pleasure will increase more than you can imagine!!