mtbr member

Stumpy Juicy 7 ringing rotors....FIXED!!

Just wanted to pass on some information. I recently posted about how my rear rotor would make a loud ringing sound at speeds greater then 12 mph. I tried everything including re centering the caliper and every adjustment. I finally put the stock 2.0 tires back on replacing the 2.4's I had on there. The sound was gone after that. Apparently larger tires with the larger foot print were creating to much flex.
    Another thing I noticied was that the rear rotor moves under weight. I weigh 200lbs and when I sit on the bike I can see the rotor move within the caliper. I had to adjust the caliber so that it would rub when off the bike but when on the bike the rotor was center in the caliper. Hope this helps others.

mtbr member
    2.4's?!?!?!?! Jeez dude. What is this, a dh bike?

just ride
    the real problem is with the Deore-level hub that Specialized specs on all the bikes below the pro level.

Its a tank and a flex machine. Upgrade to a 4-bearing cartridge style rear hub and your issues will also be much better. I run a Hugi 340 hub and can run 2.5 tires without any issue of rotor flex.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

Lusus Naturae
    Hm, so a wheelset upgrade is a good idea for the 07 SJ Comp? My rotor is also making squeeling sounds when going fast.

mtbr member
    I guess too big. Still running a 2.4 in front and like it. It's a stumpy