mtbr member
    Apr 2007

stumpy ht problems. help me please

alright, well i've been having trouble w/ breaking and bending chains. i got a new sram pc 991, and then it broke. it was the second chain in two weeks. got a new cassette, and put some new links on the chain. now, i have another bent link, and it is really getting old. im not being too hard on the bike, or anything, it just keeps bending. also, my rear rotor keeps heating up on longer descents to the point that i cant even lock up my rear wheel. it just feels all mushy. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you

mtbr member
    Could be a weight factor. If the rider is over 230lb you may need to get a heavier duty chain etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, what cassette have you been using? Check the rear hub assembly maybe the pawls are messed up. Perhaps your rear brake needs to be bleed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what type of chain do you recommend? im not concerned about weight at all. not one bit. as long as it shifts well, and is strong as an ox, ill be happy

...idios...
    "what type of chain do you recommend?"

XTR DuraAce or KMC X9 (not the SL). Lift off the torque a little more than you do for changing gears and also check/have checked your derailleur adjustments and hanger.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler