mtbr member
    May 2009

Stumpy HT Expert Carbon 29 or Epic Carbon

I,m on the fence trying to decide which bike to buy for XC racing. The Stumpy Expert Carbon 29 or the Epic Expert carbon 29. If any one has tried both, what was your opinion?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If the courses you race on are technical, I'd go Epic all day long.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just had the same question. Mine was for Marathon racing. I choose the comfort of the epic. I would say anything under 3 hours I'd go for the hardtail. Less weight and much cheaper. Comfort not as important because it's short.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you can afford the Expert Epic, I'd get the Marathon HT. MUCH better parts kit and wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I owned both. The Stumpy hardtail is a very unforgiving frame. It beat the sh/t out of me. I bought the Expert Evo R Epic and I got it say it is pretty good.

If I were you, I would maybe hold out for the BMC fourstoke 29r. It's 2 pounds lighter.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've got the SW version of both bikes. At the moment I can't get enough of the HT. the acceleration, and nimbleness is just amazing and it climbs like a goat. I have been doing rides of up to 2.5 hrs on it. It's also improved my bike skills again.
    However if I had to own one bike it would be the Epic. It still climbs brilliantly and descends more confidently. It's also more forgiving and helps you feel fresher when on a long ride.
    You miss out on a bit or acceleration and nimbleness but not too much and it also makes a very good trail bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I went through the same dilema this past year. I was really leaning towards the hardtail for a racebike. Fast, nimble, responsive and right at 2 lbs lighter. But after demoing the bikes, I ended up buying the epic and have not regretted it. The epic is a plenty capable race bike and I can take it for a long weekend ride and not hurt afterwards. Part of my thinking when finally deciding on the epic was that I could buy a hardtail frame down the road and swap parts over if I really felt the need for a hard tail. The hardtail frame is cheaper to buy than an epic frame. After riding and racing the epic for 6 months now, I will probably buy carbon wheels for the epic before I feel the need for a hardtail. I noticed most of the top experts at the last few races I did this year were on epics. I demo'd a 2013 s works hardtail a few weeks ago at a Spesh demo and it confirmed to me that I made the right decision buying the epic for my needs. Ultimately, you have to figure out which will suit your needs best.

mtbr member
    firstly, i ride a camber pro 29er, it is the way i roll and that is fine for me, but then i am 51 and done with going really really fast ... i also spend some time on a rigid singular swift ...

however, i have ridden both the bikes you mentioned and they both have their places ...

SJ HT ... this was the s-works version at a demo day ... while riding on the grass waiting for a mate to get his bike, i tried to pop a wheelie and the thing was so light it just kept coming over and dumped me on my a$$ ... it is light, it goes like stink, it feels really stiff and it does beat you up ... i found it very twitchy and it felt like it wanted to swap ends, however it felt like a weapon going uphill and in a straightline ..

epic carbon ... this was a carbon model at a demo day ... this was a very quick bike and the brain is a very clever piece of kit ... the bike was new, i was the first rider and the brakes hadn't bedded in yet as i found when i came onto a bridge too quick ... while it was fun to ride, i don't think i could ride this more than an hour or two whereas the camber is way more comfortable over a longer period ...
    a mate rode the s-works version of this yesterday and is still going on about it ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmc42 View Post
    I went through the same dilema this past year. I was really leaning towards the hardtail for a racebike. Fast, nimble, responsive and right at 2 lbs lighter. But after demoing the bikes, I ended up buying the epic and have not regretted it. The epic is a plenty capable race bike and I can take it for a long weekend ride and not hurt afterwards. Part of my thinking when finally deciding on the epic was that I could buy a hardtail frame down the road and swap parts over if I really felt the need for a hard tail. The hardtail frame is cheaper to buy than an epic frame. After riding and racing the epic for 6 months now, I will probably buy carbon wheels for the epic before I feel the need for a hardtail. I noticed most of the top experts at the last few races I did this year were on epics. I demo'd a 2013 s works hardtail a few weeks ago at a Spesh demo and it confirmed to me that I made the right decision buying the epic for my needs. Ultimately, you have to figure out which will suit your needs best.
    i did the exact same thing. you also need to take into consideration the training aspect of riding, i race but that is such a small part of the equation! i felt if i was only going to have one true bike to race/ride i would prefer the comfort of the dullie. a dullie that truly rode like a HT, that brain blows my mind everytime i ride it and having the choice of how stiff you want the shock rules, and is very easy to dial in!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks everyone for the information. It looks like an Epic, any tips for making it lighter ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Easy way of loosing mass is to convert wheels to tubeless. Dump the heavy Chen Sin tubes (about 370g) and add NoTubes sealant and valves (about 150g added back) for a net loss of 220g. Then get rid of the heavy seat post (about 298g) and use a light carbon post or Thomson Masterpiece. Also the stock seat is heavy at about 260g but is comfortable. I used a light Rose Extreme carbonpost 172g and added a Tune Komm VOr saddle at 97g which achieved a mass loss of approx. 290g.
    My Epic carbon comp 29 19 inch (with Roval Control 29 wheel set) currently sits at 11.4kg with XTR pedals, bottle cage and computer.
    Cheers - shbtown