mtbr member
    Oct 2005

stumpy hardtail or salsa moto rapido?

im looking at the stumpy comp and it looks like the fit for me. i have also been thinking about building up a frame from salsa and doing it "right the first time" anyone have something great to say about the new stumpy hardtails that will stear me away? or visa versa. it will be used for racing primarily. the stumpy fsr isnt cutting it in the light dept and i dont really need full susp for the races. just a great climber and great cornerer. thanks

thecentralscrutinizer
    It depends on what your budget is. The Rapido frame alone is going to run 700-800 bucks new. If your really into CC racing, you probably need to consider building the bike.

JMO
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    It depends on what your budget is. The Rapido frame alone is going to run 700-800 bucks new. If your really into CC racing, you probably need to consider building the bike.

JMO
    budget is not the issue, im more for functionality. if i save 2 pounds by building a bike from the ground up, i think its a waste of money. if the moto built weighs around 22 pounds with the setup ill probably have and the stumpy weighs about 24ish stock, then i can either drop a huge deuce before a race or drop more bodyfat. im 180 lbs and 5'8" im all legs too so i need a frame that can take a beating. live in AZ where tubeless on a hardtail is a necessity (stans will be installed at the shop) and my strength is climbing. dh i can never seem to make up as much time as on a hill because im always behind someone who is slower, so i figure save my energy on the spots i can and kill it on the spots i have to. i almost bought the rapido today but the parts on the stumpy would probably be what i end up putting on anyway. im in sport this year and got second in the first race. if i get first saturday in the next series race then its a good bet that ill podium most of the year, if i do that im gonna be force upgraded to expert 19-39 and need to hang with the big boys. im from the school of thought where the XO is merely a shiny X9 and the bike is gonna take a beating so why spend too much for a bike whose frame is gonna look like a taxi cab after a season anyway.

i think im gonna go for the stumpy and just ride hard. after a season or 2 in expert ill know if this is a long term thing or not.