mtbr member

Stumpy ghost shifting please help!!!!

Hi
    I just built an 05 S-works stumpy frame ...and i have ghost shifting problems, wich i suspect are down to the lenght of the cable houseing going beneath the bottom bracket.
    Can any one tell me the lenght of the cable housing for the rear deraulier, of the section running below the bottom bracket to the first braise on mounted on the swining arm please?

alec

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    I just built an 05 S-works stumpy frame ...and i have ghost shifting problems, wich i suspect are down to the lenght of the cable houseing going beneath the bottom bracket.
    Can any one tell me the lenght of the cable housing for the rear deraulier, of the section running below the bottom bracket to the first braise on mounted on the swining arm please?
    I had a similar problem on my Enduro and a too short section of cable housing was precisely the cause of the problem. I can't tell you how long the cable housing should be for your bike, but I can tell you how to find what it should be.

Deflate the shock and compress the suspension. When it's at the bottom, observe the amount by which the cable housing is being pulled out of its stops. You should increase the length of the housing by at least this much. I'd add a tad bit extra myself.

The other advantage to using this approach (as opposed to some random number that someone might give you) is that you'll be able to verify that this is indeed the reason for the ghost shifting. If you don't see the housing being pulled out of the stops when compressing the bike, you'll need to look elsewhere for the problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I had a similar problem on my Enduro and a too short section of cable housing was precisely the cause of the problem. I can't tell you how long the cable housing should be for your bike, but I can tell you how to find what it should be.

Deflate the shock and compress the suspension. When it's at the bottom, observe the amount by which the cable housing is being pulled out of its stops. You should increase the length of the housing by at least this much. I'd add a tad bit extra myself.

The other advantage to using this approach (as opposed to some random number that someone might give you) is that you'll be able to verify that this is indeed the reason for the ghost shifting. If you don't see the housing being pulled out of the stops when compressing the bike, you'll need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Hey thanks!.... that sounds entirley logical i will try it in the morning....

Alec.