mtbr member
    Mar 2005

stumpy geometry question

Hi All,

i am contemplating a new stumpy frame. I am 5'8" and run 27.2" seat height (BB to top of saddle) + generally like to set up my bikes with about 1-1.5" drop to the top of the stem.

I have done some calcs in CAD + using a -6deg stem + on a medium frame it's looking like it the front is too tall for my liking.

is anyone able to verify this setup pls?

thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    It may be. Take one for a test ride and find out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i guess that's the only real way of finding out - local dealer doesn't do demos. have to find somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm also 5'8", and test rode an '08 Stumpy Expert. With 2cm of spacers and a -6 degree stem, bar height was just about at saddle height. So, remove the spacers, and you're getting close.

I'm coming from a setup with the bars lower than the saddle, and didn't expect to be very happy on the SJ, even set up as it was. Boy, was I wrong! The position is different than what I'm used to, but after less than an hour in the saddle, I was falling in love with the position and, more importantly, the bike.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thanks - very helpful info - i managed to get up to the shop today to do some detailed setup measurements. looks like i will get about 20mm drop with -6deg, so perfect.

looking forward to my new frame to arrive.