mtbr member

Stumpy FSR Tire Recomendations

I have a 2005. What is a good front/rear setup for all XC? Good tread w/o too much weight. I have the stock Resoltuion Pro 2.0 front and rear currently.
    '05 Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert 120 Disc
    Chris King Headset
    XC'n B -more, MD since...uhhhh....yesterday

mtbr member
    How about the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo? Has great reviews.
    Chris King Headset

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Tires are much more terrain specific than they are bike specific, what kind of terrain do you typically ride? For my xc hard tail I like tubeless maxxis ignitor 2.1s, they roll fast on hard pack and are predictable. I ride loose rock over hardpack and loamy soil typically. For my fs rig I prefer something with a little more meat on them like a 2.35 Kenda Nevegal up front, again tubeless ~30psi. It gives a little more confidence when I'm on really loose, steep dh.

Fat Guy Riding
    J-Cee - I'm riding the exact same bike and have been dabbling a bit with XC racing.

For trail rides, I was riding Nevegals, 2.1 front and rear, mounted tubeless on Crossmax SL's. Good grip, but roll slow.

I swapped out some Specialized The Captain Control 2Bliss tires, I am really happy with them. They have great grip, are semi-lightweight and roll a lot better than the Neves. If there is one weakness, they seem to lack a little rear grip on gravelly lose climbs, otherwise, I'm very happy with them.

Ran on mud yesterday, they worked exceptionally well. I'm running 35r/30f tire pressure, tubeless.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty new at this so I don't want to get too crazy with tubeless. Tube tires are good for now. I'm typically running hard pack with some muddy when it's a little wet out.
    Chris King Headset

Fat Guy Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Cee
    I'm pretty new at this so I don't want to get too crazy with tubeless. Tube tires are good for now. I'm typically running hard pack with some muddy when it's a little wet out.
    Tubeless isn't crazy, it works better as long as you're not slicing tires! Don't be afraid!

mtbr member
    $$$$...new rims + tires.
    Chris King Headset

Fat Guy Riding
    Stans Strips and some sealant! Less than $60 and you're tubeless! DOOOOO IT!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I run the Stans in my Crossmark UST's. No problems of any kind. They seem to hold on any surface well beyond MY limits.
    Scott.

mtbr member
    I have the Mavic X317 rims. What Stan's kit do I need and where do I get it? Apparently you can run regular tires on these. Is that true or not recomended?
    Chris King Headset

Fat Guy Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Cee
    I have the Mavic X317 rims. What Stan's kit do I need and where do I get it? Apparently you can run regular tires on these. Is that true or not recomended?
    You need this and you should be all set.

Members who have read this thread: 0