mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Stumpy FSR Steerer Tube Length?

I'm toying with the idea of putting a longer travel fork on my 2004 SJ FSR Expert.

What length steerer tube do I need?

What is the star nut?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    I'm toying with the idea of putting a longer travel fork on my 2004 SJ FSR Expert.

What length steerer tube do I need?

What is the star nut?

Thanks
    The steerer tube is always longer than you need and has to be cut to the right length. So be careful if you buy a 2nd hand fork. Just measure what you have right now and maybe at 1 or 2 cm's to it (just to have some room for adjustment). The headtube length differs between the different FSR framesizes.

The star nut is installed in the tube after it has been cut to size and it then there to stay. It's used to fix the stem and adjust the play in the bearings at the same time.

Btw. I also have a 2004 FSR and am considering increasing overall suspension but I would then also change to a BETD link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by djska
    Just measure what you have right now and maybe at 1 or 2 cm's to it (just to have some room for adjustment). The headtube length differs between the different FSR framesizes.
    Can you measure the length as installed, or do you have to remove the fork?

I'm running rim brakes - if I go Talas, I have to get a 2004 (last year that they had v-brake mounts). You're right, buying a used fork the steerer length is all over the place 7 1/2" to 8 1/2".