Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Stumpy FSR Shock Linkage

I have an 06 Stumpjumper FSR that came with an 07 Brain Fade. I started going through shock bushings fairly quickly (2 in 300 miles). In 2007, the FSR got a revamped shock linkage. Does anyone think that the 07 linkage will fit the 06 frame ?

Steve

mtbr member

07 no better?

Quote Originally Posted by Steverod23
    I have an 06 Stumpjumper FSR that came with an 07 Brain Fade. I started going through shock bushings fairly quickly (2 in 300 miles). In 2007, the FSR got a revamped shock linkage. Does anyone think that the 07 linkage will fit the 06 frame ?

Steve
    I don't know if the 07's are any better than the 06's. Did they replace just one of the bushings? Did the same one fail again?

I bought an 07 Stumpy Expert in January. I have over 2000 miles on it and had 2 bushing go a week apart. The shop ordered a bushing kit and is replacing all of the bushing under warrenty.

My mechanic said that if 1 bushing fails and you continue to ride you will put additional strain on the remaining bushings. So they are replacing them all.

Are any other Stumpjumper owners having problems with failed bushings?

thecentralscrutinizer

Steve
    I made some measurements a couple months ago and it will not fit. Everything about the new link is completely different.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstump
    I don't know if the 07's are any better than the 06's. Did they replace just one of the bushings? Did the same one fail again?

I bought an 07 Stumpy Expert in January. I have over 2000 miles on it and had 2 bushing go a week apart. The shop ordered a bushing kit and is replacing all of the bushing under warrenty.

My mechanic said that if 1 bushing fails and you continue to ride you will put additional strain on the remaining bushings. So they are replacing them all.

Are any other Stumpjumper owners having problems with failed bushings?
    I think 2000 miles for the bushings sounds OK. BTW how do you know when they've gone? - I've only done 500 miles on my Expert, so far bushings and bearings are fine.

mtbr member

06 Bushings

My lower shock bushing went at about 120 miles and then again at 300 miles. I understand these things are designed to wear, but it should last more than several weeks.

I am riding aggressively. I have the shock pressure set according to the manual. I just hate to be on the beater more than I have to.

mtbr member

Aftermarket Bushings ?

Thanks mopartodd. Maybe I can find some aftermarket bushings with better quality control.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Yeah maybe. If you do, post what you find out.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I also have the '06 FSR with an '07 AFR on it. I found the rear shock squeaked incessantly, so I greased the pivots. I understand you're not supposed to grease pivots with bushings, but it made a huge difference. I really worry that the '07 AFR just isn't designed to work on the '06 frame. Have you hade any trouble with yours squeaking?

mtbr member

Squeaking FSR shosk bushings

Quote Originally Posted by jhair
    I also have the '06 FSR with an '07 AFR on it. I found the rear shock squeaked incessantly, so I greased the pivots. I understand you're not supposed to grease pivots with bushings, but it made a huge difference. I really worry that the '07 AFR just isn't designed to work on the '06 frame. Have you hade any trouble with yours squeaking?
    I bought in eBay a 06 S-Works with 07 AFR (latest model: silver with 50-60 clicks) and shock also squeaked, I fixed it with a couple drops of Teflon Oil in the shock bushings.

What is the problem with grease/oil in bushings??

How do you know that bushings have to be changed??
    Last edited by Spaceman-Spiff; 06-18-2007 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member

Squeaking is first sign of trouble

The sqeak started at the lower shock eyelet. Couldn't tell if it was the bush or the linkage itself. Noise got louder over successive rides and then squeaked all the time.

After three weeks, I noticed a slight play. If you hold the bike by the seat and slowly lift up, you may notice some vertical play. I didn't see any horizontal play. I torqed the bolts according to the manual, but no luck. Turns out the bushing needed to be replaced.

They should last at least a season. After the second bush went not too long after the first one, I got mad.

I ordered a BETD link (in red) last week with replacement bush and 8 mm bolt. It should be here this week. I'll post my findings when everything is set up. Not a cheap route, but having the 07 AFR Brain Fade on an 06 SFR puts you in a unique situation.

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Where can you buy new Stumpjumper bushings online?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I believe the problem with grease/oil in the bushings is that it attracts dirt, which accelerates the wear on a sensitive part. Unlike a chain, it's quite difficult to frequently degrease and re-lube the shock bushings when they get dirty, since that basically requires disassembly of the frame. Further, it's my understanding that a properly fitted bushing will simply not require lubrication and the fact that it's squeaking when brand new is probably an indication that it isn't a proper fit for the frame.

Steverod23 - are you sure that the BETD part you ordered will fit your '06 frame? I wasn't aware they made parts for the '06 frames. I've heard some horror stories about people ordering the wrong parts from BETD and basically getting stuck with them because of issues with international shipping. If it does fit I'd be really interested to know. That's the main weakness in the 2006 frame vs. the 2007. I'd probably be willing to drop a little cash for a linkage that didn't require as much servicing. It wouldn't hurt if it was anodized red either ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff
    I bought in eBay a 06 S-Works with 07 AFR (latest model: silver with 50-60 clicks) . . .
    I thought that 50-60 clicks is characteristic for early models AFR.

mtbr member

Early vs actual AFR shocks

Quote Originally Posted by xbiker
    I thought that 50-60 clicks is characteristic for early models AFR.
    According this thread, early AFR are golden finish and 25 clicks, and newer AFR are 50-60 clicks and Silver finish.

Problems with AFR rear shocks

Can somebody confirm it????

mtbr member

BETD Link for 06 FSR

I can confirm that the BETD link they have listed on their website for the 05 FSR does fit the 06 frame. It will not fit the 07 frame. It was expensive and I read the same posts regarding poor customer service. I took the risk and am pleased with the results. Dan over at BETD was helpful and response time was a few days between email exchanges. I ultimately called UK and asked all the questions before i ordered. Part arrived within 10 days. If I had to send something back for an exchange, my experience may not have been as good.

There is a caveat: The line connecting the brain to the shock is too short in both the 120mm and the 150mm BETD link settings. I had two options. Find a way to replace the line with one about 1.5 inches longer or make a simple bracket extension that moves the brain itself closer. I went with option 2 (Sears hardware had simple bracket that I cut down to size).

I chose the 150mm setting on the link. Geometry of bike was altered enough for me to notice. BB height increased which for me was a good thing. Head angle also changed slightly. I had a Fox 100 RL and decided to go with a new TALAS to offset the rear end change. The TALAS was a planned upgrade for me - it just happened sooner than I expected. As soon as the bike is back from LBS with the new fork, I'll take pictures end reevaluate the ride.

FYI, I have the silver 07 AFR Brain fade and am still playing around with the air pressure. Before BETD link, it was 185 lbs. After link, 200 Lbs but still experimenting.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone fitted a RP23 (200mm) to a 07 Stumpy FSR? Triad is 196mm.

Does it foul link?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikertroid
    Anyone fitted a RP23 (200mm) to a 07 Stumpy FSR? Triad is 196mm.
    Does it foul link?
    There is a full thread about this subject:

RP23 Recplacement on SJ Continued

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Spaceman,

unfortunately that thread is referring to the 06 model. So not exactly the thread or answer I was after!

Thanks anyhow!

mtbr member
    I took shock apart on Sunday and there is a space reducer on each side of the lower shock eye all held together with a 6 mm bolt.
    From what I could see the shock eye is 15 mm in diameter and the reducers are slightly smaller than 15 mm. I used a caliper and they looks like 14.5 mm.
    Looks like in Stumpjumper 06 S-Works with 07 AFR the Lower Eyelet shock bushing is not dimensioned for this AFR shock and may wear more quickly. I am not an expert, but I would say that to work properly, the Shock Lower Eye bushings should be made so:

* Bushings external diameter is selected to fit tightly inside the shock eye so bushing does not rotate inside the Shock eyelet.

* Bushing Internal diameter is selected so that the 6mm bolt (that holds the shock to the FSR Link) goes trough the bushings inner hole and when there are trail bumps, 6mm bolt rotates inside bushing inner hole, which has self-lubricating properties and reduces friction, and there is a very small wear in bushing inner hole walls.

But if bushing external diameter is too small (14.5 mm diameter), bushing is not held tightly inside shock eyelet (15mm diameter) and when there are trail bumps bushing rotates inside shock eyelet, and bushing external wall is not designed for friction and wears very quickly.

Fix for this would be to find or custom made a properly dimensioned bushing for Lower shock Eyelet, and may be for Upper Shock Eyelet too.

Is there anybody with more knowledge about bushings and their requirements, and can he/she give a more professional opinion and explanation and correct me if I am wrong.

You guys in USA (I am in Spain) can contact Specialized and get the right dimension so we can custom build these bushings.
    Last edited by Spaceman-Spiff; 06-21-2007 at 10:49 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Spaceman,

contact BETD, as they will no doubt be able to supply some 'Hula Hoops' and steel inserts which are much harder wearing than the stock ones. If the sizing is unusual, they may make some custom ones for you.

Also try using the Spesh mud flap which guards the shock from much of the crud.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikertroid
    contact BETD, as they will no doubt be able to supply some 'Hula Hoops' and steel inserts which are much harder wearing than the stock ones. If the sizing is unusual, they may make some custom ones for you.

Also try using the Spesh mud flap which guards the shock from much of the crud.
    Mike, thank you for the information, I just sent a note to BETD, now, let's wait.

I ride in a dry climate (Spain Mediterranean coast), not too much mud here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'd be very interested to hear if BETD can supply you with a bushing that would provide a better fit for the AFR on the '06 frame. If so, I'll definitely order one. Based on the description you gave in your earlier email, I wonder if cranking the heck out of the bolt that connects the shock to the frame (not the linkage) would bend the frame a bit to provide a tighter connection and improve the bushing wear.

Steverod: How is the 150mm linkage combining with the Talas? I have a Talas on my bike as well, but I find that I use the 120mm setting on the Talas almost exclusively because the 140mm setting slows my steering down too much on the twisty singletrack around here. It seems like the 140 front/150 rear combination might be ideal, but I don't want to feel like I'm riding too much of a pogo stick!

mtbr member

06 Stumpy S-Works w/ 07 AFR Squeaking noise fix

I own a 06 Stumpy S-Works with a 07 Specialized AFR fitted by an eBay seller, and my shock had a squeaking noise that disappeared by pouring an oil drop in shock lower bushing.

My earlier description of the problem on this thread was based on information from another forum member, but now, I took apart my shock lower eyelet and I am providing first hand description of the problem. While taking it apart I found the following:

* Lower Shock eyelet is 15 mm diameter and has two reducers from 15 mm to 8mm, to fit the 8mm bolt. Shock + Reducers width is 16 mm

* M8 bolt length (without Allen head) is 42 mm and has 21 mm no threaded and 21 mm threaded

* M8 bolt has a length of 21 mm without threads, but shock bushing needs 26 mm (10 mm Right side FSR Link + 16 mm shock bushing width), this means that the left shock bushing is rotating around the threaded part, and this is not good.

* Shock only has reducers, to reduce diameter from 15mm Eyelet to 8mm bolt, but it does not have bushings. A correct assembly needs a bushing (Cylinder 15 mm external diameter, 1.2mm wall thickness made of low friction self-lubricant material), and two aluminium reducers from 12.6mm to 8 mm Bolt. (12.6mm = 15mm 1.2mm 1.2mm).

I am doing these changes:

* New bolt M8 x 60mm ISO 912 inox, cut to 42 mm and thread mechanized 3 more mm to get 26 mm no thread + 16 mm thread. (An easier solution could be to cut bolt to 45mm and add washers in right side)
    * Add bushing
    * Add reducers

Cost so far is 6 Euro, but I am still waiting for the reducers. Hopefully this will fix the squeaking noise and the quick wear. As soon as I have completed the fix I will take pictures and post in the forum.

mtbr member

My lower shock bushing story

I'm not sure I'm answering anyone's specific question, but I thought I'd chime in with my 2004 Stumpy FSR lower shock bushing issues.
    Developing some play in rear shock Specialized Stumpjumper
    Developing some play in rear shock Specialized Stumpjumper
    I bought the bike new in '05 and after a season and a half I developed play in the lower shock link. While I ordered a new set of bushings and reducers, I ended up actually upgrading the shock to the RP3 and just saved the new bushings for down the road. Only about 6 months later I was developing play again at the lower shock link. I thought that was a super short lifespan of the bushings, but I have replacements so whatever. Then, only a month or so later I began developing play again. Now come to find out the lower shock bolt, the screw that actually mounts the shock to the rocker arm of the frame, has been sheared in half. I go to the LBS and he digs through the parts bin and finds me a similar but not identical bolt to replace it with. The difference is that it had more threads on it with a shorter collar, so the threads of the bolt were actually contacting the bushings rather than the bolt collar. I didn't like this setup but I couldn't find the proper bolt at the hardware stores, either. Pardon the pun, but it was a very specialized bolt.... Less than a week later the lower link is going to shat again so I take it in to LBS and they discover the rocker arm is cracked at the weld. So I order up a new rocker arm and FSR bolt replacement kit. Also a full FSR bearing replacement kit. Since the rocker arm was not warranteed because Specialized said I broke the bolt which meant I must have used the bike beyond its designed capacity, this was over $100 worth of parts. The new rocker arm required a larger diameter bolt than the original, and thankfully the bolt kit included the new larger bolt. I suspect this was a redesign due to others having a similar issue. Thankfully I could use the reducers from the old stock shock to mount up the new rocker arm. The bolts on both the upper and lower shock mounts are now the same diameter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I saw an ad in eBay, where a guy is selling a 04 Stumpjumper that was modified by a PUSH employee (Eric) to add custom needle bearings to the Shock Lower Mount, Interesting...

Does anybody know how this can be done???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast