dhz
    mtbr member
    May 2004

stumpy fsr pro vs expert

I am thinking about getting a stumpjumper fsr but I don't know which one (pro or expert) to get.

I test rode the FSR Expert while I was out in Fruita and it totally kicked a$$.

I looked at the specs on specialized site and the only difference I could see is that the pro model has the Brain. Is it worth the money for the "brain" on the pro model?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The money is not soley for the Brain upgrade. The Pro model comes with SRAM XO shifters and deraileurs ($500 retail), DT hubs, a better mavic rim, and a Talas RLC fork (as opposed to just a Talas RL).

The Pro model is just that, an all around upgrade in virtually every component for around a thousand bucks extra. Its a nice bike, and the brain rides very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had to also choose between Pro and Expert, but cause of budget instead of default Pro I decided to go Expert with some "Pro-customization". I chose for wheels DT240s disc hubs, Mavic M819 rims, DT comp spokes, Thomson setback seatpost, Flite titan saddle. I stayed default derailleur, cause I think XTR, Shimano's best rear derailleur is enough for me Maybe I'll try later what SRAM has to offer, but not so far as this package works.
    I really love that bike and it's nice colour. Here's PIC

mtbr member
    I also had to choose between the pro and expert. I picked the expert model. I just didn't see the benefit of the additional $1000. My LBS had the base model and the pro, but no comp or expert. I also test rode the green "Test Bike" and loved it. When I returned it, I had them order me the Expert in Silver. For info, there is no weight difference between the two. I put a medium Pro on the LBS scale and it weighed the same as my large Expert, 27.9 pounds. I don't know, but it seems for a thousand dollars it should be lighter. Kinda like the carbon model for $7100, it only weights about 26.5 pounds. That's a lot of money for 1 1/2 pounds! The brakes are fantastic and I don't think you'll miss the extra compression adjustment on the Talas. Once I figured out all the settings for the Talas and the Triad shock, I just leave them alone anyway. I also had a hard time getting used to the push-push of the sram shifters on the pro. Both bikes are really nice though, you won't go wrong either way.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    I finished building my Pro last week and I am having a tough tome getting the rear suspension tuned. I rode a Comp extensively before I bought the Pro and loved it, I'm just having a hard time getting the same ride from the Brain as the Triad. Basically the problem is I can't get the rear stiff enough for super steep loose climbs, the Triad(propedal) did great in this situation. The brain seems like if fully compress', in doing so saps all my power and I have to dismount.
    The recommended pressure for my body weight is 180psi, I've raised it to 210psi and its still to soft for steep climb, next 235psi and maybe a improved climbing technique.
    Maybe I'm just spoiled from the HT 29er. When the trail goes up I stomp on the pedals and I'm at the top.

mtbr member
    If you can afford it, go with the pro. I just test rode a pro and the trail tune on the Brain works great. IMO the Brain is almost worth the extra cost, in full pro pedal mode.

I like it so muck I ordered a PRO.

Good luck, either way the both great equiped bikes.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies