mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Stumpy FSR For My First Mountain Bike

So I've been reading everything I can about mountain bikes (I've always been a roadie, lately a drop bar Bianchi cyclocross rider) and I have pretty much concluded that the Stumpy FSR is the bike most likely to fulfill my desire for a versatile, durable, all-around trail bike for fun and fitness.

I'm 5' 9 3/8", and my barefoot inseam is 31 3/4". I run about 180 lbs. in the summer, maybe 175 when I'm fit.

I have this bad feeling that I'm sort of between sizes, with the 17" frame a bit small and the 19" a little large.

Any advice and all suggestions will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    same height /weight.

I ride the 19

mtbr member

Stump FSR Size

Spokesman-I am almost identical size and ride large. Nice fit for me. I have a relatively long torso and arms-not sure measurements but the Large frame feels great. Good luck and welcome to the Gang.

Weapon of Choice
    Im pretty much the same height but my weight is around 145 pounds. My size bike is medium,( I think the LBS told me its a sz 17 as the next sz up is 19?) fits me fine; I test rode a large and then a medium in the lbs parking lot. If any major doubt test ride em both and go with what feels best.

mtbr member
    Ride both and decide which ones feels more comfortable.

BTW, I am 6'2" and could ride the L or XL. I tested the L and thought it was too cramped. There is another member on here that is 6'3" and rides a L.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Rats!

I went and rode the medium and large Stumpy FSR's today. I didn't have a whole lot of time so we just did the basic fitting routine - no parts swapping or serious fit tuning, but -- I was disappointed.

The 17" felt a little crowded, and the 19" felt a little too stretched out, just as I was afraid might happen.

Maybe it's just some psychological self-fullfilling expectation thing, but I think a bike is sort of like a pair of shoes. If its right for you, you feel it the second you start rolling.

I'm really kind of bummed. I'm not ruling the Stumpy out yet, but I'm going to have to do a lot more shopping and testing now to feel confidant in my eventual choice.
    Last edited by Spokesman; 03-28-2006 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Even though I'm female.. I'm 5'9 with a long torso/arms, and I got the L. I ended up feeling way too stretched out on it at first with the stock stem, etc. and after riding a M Surly I feel much more comfortable on that. We've played around with stems and such, and with my current shorter stem the bike feels much better. So you can change the stem around to help with the bike size. So, I'd probably say get the L and try out shorter stems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    5'10 185# 32/33 inseam. I went with a medium frame. Ride XC in Michigan so no "major" downhills. My hardtail was a 20"frame it, and it feels large to this, but I love the way I can through it around. Stable enough for me on a DH plunge, but then again, I don't push it either.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Maybe a smaller stem would help?

Spokesman - I bought an 06 XL Stumpy and was kinda between a large and XL. I felt a bit too stretched out on the XL, but my legs felt good. I had LBS swap out the stock stem (I believe 120mm) for a 70mm stem (at no charge as they were the same Spec. brand). The bike felt so much better, I used more of the rear travel as my weight was now centered instead of over the handlebars. I rode the new bike for a few months and decided to upgrade to a 90mm Thompson X4. My advice is to see if you can get LBS to swap out the stem on a large with a shorter one, take it for a ride and if it feels good, go with the large. I have read too many classified ads where people are selling basically new bikes because they don't fit properly. Take the time to investigate the right fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I appreciate everyones input. This thread really illustrates the problem well. Some people my size go with a large, some with a medium. Several have swapped out parts (stems) to get a decent fit.

I have such an "average" build, I've always been able to buy road bikes off the rack that fit well. Most road bikes are offered in several or even a lot more sizes than mounain bikes are. This doesn't make sense to me from a marketing standpoint.

I feel that when you have to swap out parts you are compromising on the designed geometry. Assuming bike designers know their business, the as built set-up presumably provides the ideal relationship between the various dimensions. If there was an 18" Stumpjumper FSR I'd have one in my garage all ready.

I've gone back to the drawing board. I'm going to ride bikes from several manufacturers untill I find one that says "I was made for you". A perfect fit trumps just about every other consideration in my view.

I may try some stem swaps, but If I find a bike from another company that fits out of the gate I'll be giving it serious consideration.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokesman
    I feel that when you have to swap out parts you are compromising on the designed geometry. Assuming bike designers know their business, the as built set-up presumably provides the ideal relationship between the various dimensions. If there was an 18" Stumpjumper FSR I'd have one in my garage all ready.

I think stem length should be thought of in the same category as seatpost height, crankarm length, handlebar width, and saddle fore/aft adjustment: highly personal, dependent on your own body shape, and easily swapped. These things are meant to be tweaked when we're talking about mass-produced frames. Specialized could not possibly be expected to find one stem size to fit every single person that will buy a 19" frame (or a 17" etc.), so I think you should give this another thought. They make 4 sizes of Stumpjumper, but they do realize there are more than 4 sizes of people. The stems fitted from the factory to the bikes you are testing are of course not the only way to go, or even the only way Specialized expects you to go. This certainly applies to road bikes too.

In a sense, yes, you are compromising on something, but unless you buy a full-custom Titus etc., you are probably doing this with any bike you find, in one way or another. Even if there was a 18" this could still be true.

BUT, if the bike doesn't fit, it doesn't fit, and you're right, you should look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm 6' 1" with 35.5in inseam. Recently acquired S-Works Stumpy 120 size XL. Rode the L, but just too small. One of my other main rides is a 19" DeKerf Team SL with 23" TT, Fox F100X, and 130mm 5-degree Thomson stem. The XL S-works so far feels very good, and I wanted something a wee bit "larger" and less "frisky" for this bike's intended use--I've got four hardtails for the other stuff.

Clearly, stated size is for reference only--gotta try it/ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

stemz

swapping stems is a normal thing to do....it should not compromise the bike geometry. look at bike manufacturers that sell only frames (check out the ventana and turner boards for example) people are using all different lengths of stems. people are also tweaking other parts until they get their rides just right. the stumpy is a good bike. i would start with a large and a shorter stem.......good luck

I appreciate everyones input. This thread really illustrates the problem well. Some people my size go with a large, some with a medium. Several have swapped out parts (stems) to get a decent fit.

I have such an "average" build, I've always been able to buy road bikes off the rack that fit well. Most road bikes are offered in several or even a lot more sizes than mounain bikes are. This doesn't make sense to me from a marketing standpoint.

I've gone back to the drawing board. I'm going to ride bikes from several manufacturers untill I find one that says "I was made for you". A perfect fit trumps just about every other consideration in my view.

I may try some stem swaps, but If I find a bike from another company that fits out of the gate I'll be giving it serious consideration.

mtbr member
    Deciding not to buy a certain bike brand/model based on whether you feel "stretched out or cramped" doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

My primary criteria are the design of the bike, the quality of the parts (suspension design, brakes, shocks, etc.), and the brand/reliability.

Once you have selected a model test several sizes. Assuming you like the way it rides and handles, choose the one that fits and feels best (the reach and/or bar height probably won't be perfect).

Tune the reach and bar height with a new stem, bar, etc. Changing the bar rise or stem length does not affect the inherent dynamics of the bike. It only affects where your hands are in relation to your butt.

Rejecting a model because of cockpit reach is like deciding not to buy a certain car because the seat was adjusted too far forward when you first sat in it.

Hopefully, some smart designer will come up with a way to make bar height and reach fully adjustable without replacing parts or sacrificing strength.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by billee

Once you have selected a model test several sizes. Assuming you like the way it rides and handles, choose the one that fits and feels best (the reach and/or bar height probably won't be perfect).
    As previously noted, I rode a med, and a lg. and NEITHER felt right... So which one fit?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    As previously noted, I rode a med, and a lg. and NEITHER felt right... So which one fit?
    Easy...Neither fit.

It sounds like from your OP this will be your first mountain bike - ya gotta realize that it will not feel like a road bike at all. Try some other brands to see if something feels a little more comfortable...or heck, jump on an Epic or a hardtail stumpy and see how they feel
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    Easy...Neither fit.

Good answer!

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. I'll post my eventual choice, be it a Stumpy or whatever.

Going for a ride......
    Giant Trance / Reign make 18" bikes - could be worth a look. I reckon the value is right up there.

The smaller bike is better because it's lighter - but for xc you probably want to be reasonably stretched out anyway. Larger bike is better in that way - but it's heavier too which can matter to some. Just depends how much you heart is set on the Stumpy.

I'm no expert but from what I do know I figured that MTB's are probably designed to be more adjustable than road bikes are. So you can change stems etc without compromising the ride - it just depends what you main use will be (in this case xc).

I would look around at other brands at a similar price point. Otherwise get the shop to give you a test ride with some different set ups if you're really keen on the Stumpy.

I think it's too easy to base our bike chice purely on spec - I know I have (and on reviews) untill I get out and test ride one. But in the end it's the ride that matters, and if you are forever regretting your choice - well you just won't enjoy it as much. I'm sure you'll find something you like that fits - and in the end sometimes we just get used to things don't we.

Good luck, like to know what you decide...
    energetix