mtbr member

Stumpy FSR - Medium or Large?

Hey,

It looks like I'm going to buy a Stumpjumper FSR (or maybe an Epic) frame for my new bike build project.

But what size frame should I get?

I'm 6 feet tall and I like my frame to be a little on the small side, not a little big.

Will medium work or is medium just too damn small for a 6 foot dude?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm a touch over 6` myself and I went with the medium with layback post for my s-works,I came from riding a large heckler which are pretty short in the top tube and this feels just right.The large seem far too long for me.

Best to try them out though if you can,nothing worse than getting a bike and the realising its the wrong size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiija
    I'm a touch over 6` myself and I went with the medium with layback post for my s-works,I came from riding a large heckler which are pretty short in the top tube and this feels just right.The large seem far too long for me.

Best to try them out though if you can,nothing worse than getting a bike and the realising its the wrong size.

Good idea.

I think a medium will work, but I'd better go to the local bike shop and check it out!

thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport650
    Good idea.

I think a medium will work, but I'd better go to the local bike shop and check it out!

thanks.

I would go ride a large and see it you like it. I'm right at 6' and I ride a Large FSR Expert. I love it. I don't feel that I'm too extended and have had no back issues. I rode a medium and it felt way to small for me. Hope you find a good fit.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

I was once told ...

it's easier to make a large bike a bit smaller... I guess there is some truth to it..

My two cents.. if it's the Epic definitely a large.. Stumpy you may be able to go either way ... on second thought, get to the bike shop and tool around the parking lot on both sizes. You will at least be able to tell if something is definitely the wrong size... Good Luck..
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have just ordered my first Stumpy. I am also 6ft and have a 32inch inseam so I'm taller in the body. After a lot of thought I have gone for the large. This is a 19inch frame in old school HT and with my other bikes I have always felt comfortable on a 19inch frame. Given I have a decent amount of seatpost showing on a 19inch frame, I think you'll have too much seatpost showing on a medium unless you have very short legs for someone 6ft tall. This is a bad area to stress the frame.

I have specced a 90mm stem just to compensate for the layback on the post. Overall this is going to mean the bike will feel smaller anyway as I'll be off the back easier which I like. For descents this should also make someone taller feel less like they are over the bars and keep the bike a tad more stable.

Too much seatpost and a long stem on a medium for someone 6ft will take the edge of the handling as well imho

Of course your mileage may vary but for 6ft tall - you are a large according to Specialized as well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Im 6" 3' with 34" leg and ride a L 06 Stump FSR pro and it fits me spot on and i was thinking of going for the XL and so glad i didnt, i would say a M would fit you just fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Given there are different opinions for the same size, it probably also comes down to your riding style (i.e no-one's opinion is necessarily right for you). I have ridden a long time and started MTBing in the early 90's. The XC bikes in those days had bags of seatpost, a lower front end with flat bars so the stance was more agressive and the pedal action more roadie-like.

The stance today for many riders seems to be a more relaxed seat with a greater bend in the leg during pedalling and this lends itself to bigger people being happy on a smaller bike as you are less likely to run out of seatpost.

If I measure from the middle of the bottom bracket straight up the through to the pad of the seat then on all my bikes the figure is 30 inches, I think a lot of riders go for less with the same inseam as me.
    Be interested to know this figure for other riders the same height/inseam.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport650
    Hey,

It looks like I'm going to buy a Stumpjumper FSR (or maybe an Epic) frame for my new bike build project.

But what size frame should I get?

I'm 6 feet tall and I like my frame to be a little on the small side, not a little big.

Will medium work or is medium just too damn small for a 6 foot dude?

I would go Large. I'm a little shorter than you (5'11") and run an XL.

Salsa Shark
    I think that I would probably go with a large.

reflexes of a puma

I went XL

I like longer top-tubes and at 6'1" with a long torso I'm happy so far with my XL. I hate being scrunched on the bike and don't like the feel of a really long stem on an MTB. There's no way a M would fit me.

If I liked a frame on the slightly small side, the L would fit that bill. As I said, I like a more roomy, stable bike and the XL fits that. All I did was flip the stem over for a lower COG up-front.
    Last edited by gcaz; 02-27-2006 at 09:22 AM.