mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Stumpy FSR Expert or Enduro SL

Has anyone compared the 2007 models back to back. I rode the stumpy and it felt fantastic, the ride over small surface imperfections was amazing and then it seemed to handle the bigger stuff with the same ease.

At present I am looking at the Expert as the Pro adds another 600 to the mix which is a bit rich. I would prefer the Pro as it has a better rear hub and cassette from the off (the demo model I took out is the Expert and it had suffered a hub failure which was not encouraging). Im not bothered about the rest of the bling.

I noticed that the Enduro pro is a bit cheaper at only 400 more (I suppose that is because of the own make suspension).

I would not want to lose the incredible flowing handling, climbing and small bump suspension just to gain some extra travel, but how do they compare back to back ???

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    I'm definetly going to follow this thread because i am in the same boat. Like the stumpy FSR, but Enduro SL is bad-assed. Would Enduro be overkill though?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    hey iam in the boat next to you i"ve demo the stumpy in may i will demo the sl enduro. you can find out alot of info. in the specialized forum on this site there is a interesting thread on the sl enduro 20 pages

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I rode both I chose this.

The Sl just had to much travel and pedal bob. Now this is just my choice nothing wrong with the SL just did'nt care for the ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by z71
    I rode both I chose this.

The Sl just had to much travel and pedal bob. Now this is just my choice nothing wrong with the SL just did'nt care for the ride.
    I suspected thats how it would be.........I have to say that the FSR and brain are simply amazing and I had really hoped it would fall flat on its face as the Stumpy did not really appeal (I dont like the big hype driven marketeering/horst link is best and moves to make shops pure specialized etc).

mtbr member
    Went with the expert, very glad. Too many problems with the SL's forks and shocks! Not encouraging! I'd wait for the next years models....

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Went with the expert, very glad. Too many problems with the SL's forks and shocks! Not encouraging! I'd wait for the next years models....
    From what i have heard, the new SL's for 08 are going to be pretty sick, there is a new rear shock they are testing....
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Boulder, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    From what i have heard, the new SL's for 08 are going to be pretty sick, there is a new rear shock they are testing....
    Jut8,

What and where did you hear about the new AFR?
    Last edited by vercingetorix; 05-01-2007 at 09:43 AM.
    Rides:

Mountain:

2007 Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon
    2000 Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Road:

2006 Pinarello Paris Carbon
    1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

Boulder, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    I agree that the failure rate of the E150 and AFR appears higher than expected, based on comments I've seen on the forum. A couple of LBS I have spoken to have reported that Specialized is replacing parts via FedEx and your time frame will be minimal IF you experience a problem. The E150 is said to be very easy to work on due to sealed cartridges.

That being said, compare the terrain you are riding. In my opinion, two riders of the same skill will stay together even on the toughest climbs. The SL owner will crush the SJ rider on the way back every time.

The SL rides like a dream. The fork is magical.
    Rides:

Mountain:

Road:

1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My SL

About 12 long rides now. Most fairly hard riding no big jumps though.
    The AFR was making noise but it was just a pivot point... NOTHING but lube.

The bike has been great so far. Really dig it and I have alot of faith in Spec.
    Hope it continues. This bike is making me ride 10 years younger and I have zero complaints.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

SL vs. Stumpy

I have S-Works versions of each , and it is a tough choice. Both bikes climb well , and are great technical bikes. As well as the SL climbs , you do fetel the weight difference on long climbs. The SL eats up anything that you would throw at a xc bike , and it makes even the hard trails a bit easier. But if you are riding with a fast , fit crowd , the Stumpy might be a better choice. While ome might not like all the lever-flipping that wou can do on the SL , it doesn't bother me. Either way, you are getting a great bike.

mtbr member

Can I have both?

I need to only have one bike. Can I get one that climbs like the Epic and soaks up the bumps like the Enduro SL so does that leave me with the Stumpy?
    I had and loved a 05 Epic, currently ride and love a 06 Stumpy, just spent all weekend riding and falling in love with a 07 Enduro SL (loaned to me by a friend).
    HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Boulder, CO
    With the SL you have a bike that climbs like the SJ and eats the SJ and Epic for lunch on the downhill.
    Rides:

Mountain:

Road:

1987 Ciocc

Transports:

2004 BMW M3 Convertible
    1988 BMW M6
    1974 BMW 2002 tii

mtbr member
    It seems like a situation where you have to weigh how much downhill time you are going to have vs. twisty single track. I rode a Maverick ML8 which reminds me a lot of the Enduro SL and I am not a fan of the relaxed geometry for xc riding. I love the bike though, but I don't have that many downhill sections to make up the time and another couple of inches in wheelbase are not desirable in the switchbacks I ride. Since I already beat my riding partners to the bottom on my Stumpy FSR, there's not much more to gain. I just wanted something a bit lighter, and more stretched out. If you're favoring tighter single track, then the FSR might be a better choice. But if you are more "all mountain", then I would think the Enduro SL is the perfect option.