mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Stumpy FSR Comp vs. Camber Expert

I am shopping for my first full suspension bike, which I hope to purchase before spring. I have around $2000-$2500 to spend on this "toy". I had pretty much decided on the Stumpy FSR comp for $2400 until I discovered the new Camber. Being relatively new to this sport, I need some advice on choosing between these two options. The Camber Expert is $200 less than the Stumpy. I do not really have the experience or knowledge to know how the components compare. I am 6'2" and 185lb. Currently I ride an XL Giant hardtail. The trails here in Roanoke have a little of everything to offer - ups/downs, rocks, roots, single track, fire road, streams, etc. So, my question is, for low 2K, which the best option - low end Stumpy or higher end Camber?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I was in the same dilemma a few months ago between the Stumpjumper FSR Comp and the Camber Expert. After riding both, I decided to go with the stumpy.

On the Stumpy, the M5 frame is much lighter than the M4. The components on the stumpy overall is much better than the camber.

Check with more LBS for better price. I picked up my '11 SJ FSR Comp for $1550.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn
    I picked up my '11 SJ FSR Comp for $1550.
    That is a smokin deal. That bike lists for $2400!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    No kidding - that is unbelievable! Where did you buy your bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Iím in this same situation between these 2 bikes. Does anyone have any opinions on which one of these bikes would climb better on not very technical single track?

mtbr member
    The Stumpjumper should be a better bike in almost every way, but the biggest difference will be in the quality/weight of the frames.
    2011 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon

mtbr member
    I have an 09 FSRxc Pro, and I also rode a 2010 Stumpy comp before I purchased my bike. The Camber replaced the FSRxc, but I think my comparision of the two bikes would also mostly apply to the Camber.

The stumpy is lighter, but not by much, and I didn't feel it was noticable on the trail. The Geometry between the two is very similar, but I found the 120mm of travel on the XC (and camber) made for a slightly better climbing, while the 140mm of the stumpy handled the rough stuff going downhill a bit better. Both bikes are very capable up and downhill and can handle small jumps without hesitation though. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Overall both are great bikes but I think it all comes down to budget. If you can afford the stumpy it is a better platform to build off of. I got my XC Pro for $600 less than a stumpy comp (09 closeout), so it was an easy choice at the time and I've love it every time I take it out. If the prices were within $200, I would have gone with the stumpy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks, that really helps. That was pretty much what I was thinking, now to look out for that "deal" - may not find it before spring, though.

Go SOLAR...
    If you have helmet, shorts, gloves, shoes, extra tubes, hydrapak, tools, shock pump, floor pump, pak pump, jersey, etc. and you have $2400....buy the Stumpy(great bike)

If you don't have above items...buy the Camber(also great bike..and you have extra money to get what you need)
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    Is this going to be your only bike? If so then yes spring for the Stumpy. I bought a Camber because I have a DH bike too so I have both ranges of the spectrum covered.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com