mtbr member

Stumpy FSR Alloy frame vs Carbon

I am curious about the weights of the SJ frames. I can't afford a carbon frame now, but am curious what the ACTUAL weight difference is between the alloy frame, carbon frame with alloy rear triangle and the S-works all carbon frame.
    Anyone have actual numbers? I am more interested in 2013's but 2012's might tell a similar story.

mtbr member
    My medium 26" carbon SJ Evo was about 10oz (285g) lighter than the medium SJ comp frame. The carbon rear triangle is less than 100g lighter than the aluminum version.

The ride quality is night and day difference though. The carbon frame really dampens vibration and seems to have more "pop" on the trail. I started clearing tables on my carbon frame that I struggle with on the aluminum frame. It also feels a lot more "playful", even though my aluminum SJ was built up very similar to my new carbon build.

mtbr member
    Wow, I would like a carbon frame but to upgrade its $3,000 on a the 29er verson. I think I will still with alloy for now lol

mtbr member
    I believe the alloy frame retails for $1800 and the Carbon is about $3000. It is a big jump up. I got a killer deal on my frame or I would have stayed with alloy too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I believe the alloy frame retails for $1800 and the Carbon is about $3000. It is a big jump up. I got a killer deal on my frame or I would have stayed with alloy too.
    I assume you got your through a specialized dealer? How do you get decent deals? Isn't Specialized pretty rigid about that stuff? My bike is top spec save for the frame. I have carbon S-works cranks even. If I can afford, eventually I will upgrade...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Stumpjumper FSR or EVO frame weight difference carbon vs aluminum

I was never able to find actual numbers but my best guess is about 6-8oz difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The ride quality is night and day difference though. The carbon frame really dampens vibration and seems to have more "pop" on the trail. I started clearing tables on my carbon frame that I struggle with on the aluminum frame. It also feels a lot more "playful", even though my aluminum SJ was built up very similar to my new carbon build.
    Probably a small difference in suspension setup, especially considering I thought one of the major selling points of carbon is it's supposed to be more rigid, not less.

mtbr member
    Have you guys seen the new Carbon Evo frame? I like carbon fiber, but this is a little loud for me lol...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stumpy FSR Alloy frame vs Carbon-evo.jpg  

mtbr member
    That Troy Lee Design bike is a love it or hate it thing for sure! I thought the stock Evo carbon was too much. I went with the boring all black frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasterman View Post
    Stumpjumper FSR or EVO frame weight difference carbon vs aluminum

I was never able to find actual numbers but my best guess is about 6-8oz difference.
    I guess its a little bit more, around 400 grams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rularn View Post
    I thought I heard around a pound once so 400 grams is kinda close to a pound. I imagine the difference will vary depending on frame size. Also, there are carbon frames with alloy rear triangles and carbon rear triangles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went from a 08 SJ FSR Comp(alloy) to a 11 SJ FSR Pro(carbon frame/ alloy rear) and the frames were actually just about the same in weight. I was suprised.

Recently I bought a RP23 to replace the Brain set up, and dropped .5 lbs with the switch. so the answer would be the Carbon is about .5 lbs lighter than alloy without the brain in my case.

The Carbon definately rides far nicer than the alloy overall being stiff, responsive, and smooths out chatter. That being said, the 11 frame has a tapered headset which helped, and is 140mm bike vs 120mm.

Either way I was psyched with the upgrade.(Thanks S Warranty)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suspect4119 View Post
    I went from a 08 SJ FSR Comp(alloy) to a 11 SJ FSR Pro(carbon frame/ alloy rear) and the frames were actually just about the same in weight. I was suprised.

Recently I bought a RP23 to replace the Brain set up, and dropped .5 lbs with the switch. so the answer would be the Carbon is about .5 lbs lighter than alloy without the brain in my case.

The Carbon definately rides far nicer than the alloy overall being stiff, responsive, and smooths out chatter. That being said, the 11 frame has a tapered headset which helped, and is 140mm bike vs 120mm.

Either way I was psyched with the upgrade.(Thanks S Warranty)
    I assume your new bike is a 26er? How much does your total bike weigh? Any upgrades?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I highly doubt that. Did you look at the weights I posted? The Demo frame is almost double the weight of the SJ and it is only 12oz savings. Anyone buying carbon for the weight savings at the low end is wasting their money IMO. I would max out all other components first. wheels, brakes, drive-train, suspension, etc

mtbr member
    Yeah I have my 2013 Stumpy fsr comp 29er (Alloy) weighing in the low 27's. I have never had a bike that light lol. Probably can't get it much lighter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasterman View Post
    I highly doubt that. Did you look at the weights I posted? The Demo frame is almost double the weight of the SJ and it is only 12oz savings. Anyone buying carbon for the weight savings at the low end is wasting their money IMO. I would max out all other components first. wheels, brakes, drive-train, suspension, etc
    You might have seen this review?
    Specialized StumpJumper FSR Carbon Vs. Aluminium | 29er Online

i stripped both bikes down and re weighed them. UPDATE There is only a 1 pound difference. Sorry for the confusion

The weight savings from other brands use to be around 300-400 grams, depending if the chain stay is carbon aswell. However, its not the best way to save weight from a $$$ perspective as you said. I would seriosly only buy the carbon frame for the gimmick factor and because im reading to much on bike forums

mtbr member
    My 29" 2013 FSR EVO frame (carbon front, alu rear) was 2420gr, without axle and seatcollar.
    Last edited by stgr; 01-19-2013 at 02:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stgr View Post
    My 13 FSR EVO frame (carbon front, alu rear) was 2420gr without the axle and seatcollar.
    shock included?

mtbr member
    Yes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I assume your new bike is a 26er? How much does your total bike weigh? Any upgrades?
    Yes on 26er...

Bike is just under 28 lbs all up.... Lots of upgrades from old bike, and some added when got new frame last year.... DT 240S hub w DT rims, Hope Tech X2 w/ rotors 180/180, full X9, XT cassette, Talas 140 w/ Kashima, Thomson stem/ post, Truvativ AKA bar, Phenom Ti, RP23 w/ boostvalve(replaced brain setup) Tires kinda heavy with WTB Stout 2.3 front and Nevagal 2.35 rear.

Overall build is solid and works great for New England riding from tech granite to flowy stuff. Could drop a lb w/ lighter tires, but not worth the tradeoff in traction and durability.

Like I said I really like the Carbon and was psyched I was given the upgrade when I had issues with the 08 frame(cracked BB shell)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was just gonna link to that review, and it's videos.

mtbr member
    So when you order a frame from Specialized does it ALWAYS come with the rear shock? Is there any option to have one ordered without a rear shock if you already have one from the alloy frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am a bike geek, but not too scientific in regards to weights. My 08 Stumpy FSR Comp 26er feels way lighter when picking it up from the floor than my new 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp 26er. However the 2012 knocks out the 08 in regards to performance on the trail and stiffness. I don't feel the difference in weight on the trail when comparing the two. Hope that helps for the weight debate.

I usually purchase a new mtb bike every 4 years or so, so I would personally wait to get the carbon. Specialized seems to change their frames every 2 years, so I cant wait to see what the future will bring for future stumpys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    So when you order a frame from Specialized does it ALWAYS come with the rear shock? Is there any option to have one ordered without a rear shock if you already have one from the alloy frame?
    You get shock, rear axle, headset, seatpost clamp and command post. You cant order it without that stuff either.