mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Stumpy FSR 29er - too many derailleurs

Hi guys, the 2011 Stump FSR 29er comes with a 2x10 ( 33/22 ) crank. What kind of front derailleur do I need if:
    1- if I go from 2x10 ( 33/22 ) to 2x10 ( 39/26)?
    2- if I go from 2x10 to 3x10?
    in both cases, do I need an adapter?

There are too many derailleurs nowadays and it's hard to know which one is the right one when there is S1, S2, S3, top, bottom, low , high, etc...

Please help me out...Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I heard Specialized is changing the SLX front der. that is specified on their website for X7s.
    Anyone has that bike or knows anything about it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got a 2011 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er that has the X7 front der. on it. I've seen one other 2011 Stumpy here (FSR Expert) that has the same X7 as mine. There was also a pic on the forum of a 2011 Expert with the X7, so it looks like what you heard is correct. Thats the only 3 that I've had any first hand experience with, as when I first got mine, I hadn't seen another and realized myself that the front one was different than the specs on their site. The X7 that is on the front though is also a 2x10 specific part (direct mount) and having little experience with them, I couldn't tell you if you would still need to change it to swap different size rings on the front, but definitely would to go to a 3 speed front setup.

mtbr member
    I concur...I just bought a Stumpjumper comp 29er 2011 and the front derailleur is an x7 (its sitting at the LBS getting some upgrades and tune up but I remember seeing it).
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    X7 on the '11 Stumpy Elite Test Bike I was checking out tonight (gonna take it for the weekend actually, damn that's a nice ride!) but specs have it listed as X7 for all the lower end 26ers I have looked at.

Personally, I dunno if I could tell the difference between the SLX and X7 on the front though shifting-wise. Both seem to work fine in my limited experience w/ them. Hardly use the FD as it is on my 9 spd Rockhopper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does it look like this X7 can move up for bigger chainrings or is it fixed in one position?
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I am curious if you need more gears? I have a 2011 epic comp 29er with 3x10 and I have not had to use the 44 tooth ring off road yet. I have been wondering the same things you have concerning all the different ring/derailleur combo on the 2011 specialized bikes. In your case I am not sure you can go 39/26. If you look at the sram pdf for spare parts

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/..._Rev%20A.1.pdf

they do not offer a 39 for your crank ring hole spacing (104). They do also not show a 22,24,26. I am wondering if the small rings are simply the same as the old regular 9 speed stuff or only OEM specialized parts?

Also if you go to 3x10 the rear derailleur goes to long cage. I am unclear if the shifters or front derailleurs are different between the 3x10 and 2x10 on the specialized bikes. That is for the bikes with 104/64 ring hole bolts.

Anyway as you see I am confused too. If you figure it all out let us know.

For now I plan on keeping my bike stock. My 44 tooth ring will simply be going along for the ride and serve no purpose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My problem is the opposite of yours, I rarely use the small ring ( 22 ) on my Stump FSR 26, most of the time I use the middle ring ( 32 ) and the big ring ( 44 ), the terrain is kind of flat over here, so I definetly need more gears.
    I would like to get the Stump FSR 29, but if I can't change the chainrings I wil have to get a different bike. I wish Specialized would use regular front derailleurs to make our lives easier.
    The local bike shops can't help me cause this 29er is not sold over here ( Brazil ), so I was hoping someone here at MTBR could help me, I guess I'll have to wait until more people get this bike and try to change parts.
    Thanks everybody!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Picked my stumpy up yesterday... here are a few pics I took with my iphone:

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the pictures! It doesn't look like it can be moved up ou down, so I would need a different derailleur ( who knows wich one ).

Looking at Specialized's website, I saw that the Epic Comp 29er ( alloy ) comes with a triple chainring ( 3x10 ) and the front derailleur is X7 ( S3 ). Does anybody know if the area of the frame where the front derailleur attaches is the same for the Epic and the Stump FSR? If it is, I might be able to get that triple X7 and convert a 2x10 FSR into a 3x10 and solve my problem.